• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Titchwell December 19th

Today’s highlights

Twite – 40 reported on beach west of the boardwalk
Spotted redshank – 4 on volunteer marsh

Paul

Deer in Thorpe

Interesting regarding the dead Muntjac. About three months ago I saw a trail of fresh blood on the footpath adjacent to the river. I eventually came across a dead very young Muntjac. I can only assume one of the large foxes that are regularly seen in this location to be responsible.

Hi Paul,

It was the first time I had seen a Muntjac on the site. Shame it was in such circumstances. However, last December I spotted a live Munctjac deer nearby in the grounds of the "substation" half way up the hill on Thunder Lane.

One June evening this year, I also spotted a Chinese Water Deer on Thorpe Marshes which was a pleasant suprise.

Nice photos. I haven't seen Reed Buntings on the site for a while now though hopefully it won't be too long before they start singing again.

Regards

Steve

Grey Tits

Hi Kieran

I remember seeing a very similar bird sometime around March 1995/96 at Holme, like your bird it also lacked any yellow on the underparts being grey white with a grey green mantle. Overall it had a very washed out appearance. It occurred at the same time as a large number of Great Tits moving through Holme, one day we recorded around 160 or more west, and i think one day it was 300, but no notebooks to hand to check.

Seem to remember that there had been a similar bird at Sheringham a year or two before.

Never got to the bottom of it's origins, but could have been continental or more likely just a standard bird with abnormal plumage. It looked very similar to the Grey/Great Tit's I see in pine forests in Northern Thailand!

Cheers

Neil

www.norfolkbirderinthailand.blogspot.com

Hey all,

We have suddenly had a very frosty Great Tit turn up on the feeders at work. I only managed a couple of looks at it, both times very brief, but the contrast was hugely obvious. The under-parts were almost an off white, whilst the greenish mantle was heavily diluted.

A quick search uncovered an old thread from this forum, dating back to 2007. Several explanations were given for this colouration; including, 1st-winter female, eastern origin and normal colour variation of British Great Tit.

has anyone else seen Great Tits with this washed out plumage around the Norfolk coast?

Regards, Kieran

We catch very washed out great tits reasonably regularly, as mentioned previously its normally a sign of poor quality (from a bad diet) more than anything else, and more likely 1st year females which are less pigmentful anyway.

Seem to remember that there had been a similar bird at Sheringham a year or two before.www.norfolkbirderinthailand.blogspot.com

Yes, there was a bird present between 22nd February and 11th March 1990. From the description published in the local bird report that bird was much greyer (much less green on the mantle/rump and less yellow below) than typical Great Tits and also slimmer billed. It was a first-year female which ties in with Dave's comments but it was unusual enough to be considered very interesting by the observers/ringers at the time. I didn't see it but I think I remember seeing a photo of it in the 90s.

We catch very washed out great tits reasonably regularly, as mentioned previously its normally a sign of poor quality (from a bad diet) more than anything else, and more likely 1st year females which are less pigmentful anyway.

I would certainly agree that washed out Great Tits are quite frequent, with some birds standing out as being much duller than what we might think of as a typical bird. Personally I've never seen a bird as grey as the Sheringham bird was but whether it's just the extreme of normal variation or a bird of eastern origin I've no idea!

Titchwell December 21st

Today’s highlights

Red necked grebe – juv on Patsy’s reedbed until mid morning only
Corn bunting – 1 over East Trail
Spotted redshank – 5 on Volunteer Marsh
Long tailed duck – 3 offshore
Yellow legged gull – 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 1st winter on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed

Paul

Also, a Ross' goose has joined the pinkfeet flocks in the area, feeding in potato fields somewhere south of Salthouse - could be the bird from earlier in the month from further East in the county.

Almost certainly. It flew over my head on Haddiscoe Island last Saturday with 6 Barnacle geese in tow along with about 5000 Pinkfeet. I understand when it turned up on the North coast yesterday(?) there were 6 Barnacle geese with it.
Alison

Also, a Ross' goose has joined the pinkfeet flocks in the area, feeding in potato fields somewhere south of Salthouse - could be the bird from earlier in the month from further East in the county.

Sounds like the same bird that was around late 2010 early 2011, that was with a small flock of Barnacles plus a poss Ross`s/Barnacle cross.

John

Titchwell December 22nd

Today’s highlights

Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed
Spotted redshank – 3 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier – ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Merlin – 1 over saltmarsh
Goldeneye – 40 offshore

Thank you for all your support over the last year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all at Titchwell.

Paul

I had my (almost) annual trip to Titchwell today. Some sightings that may be of interest:

Red-necked Grebe - 1 on Patsy's
Red-crested Pochard - 1 on Patsy's
Mediterranean Gull - 3 adults mid-afternoon on the freshwater marsh
Spotted Redshank - 1
Goldeneye - 36 offshore
Brambling - 3 at the feeders
Cetti's Warbler - 1 near the main path

sadly a dead Shag was found at the Salthouse coastguards hut this morning.
The Richardson's goose was seen both at Kelling and in the field behind the village pond west of Salthouse. The Sacred Ibis was seen feeding in the field between Cley and Salthouse.

Buckenham Marshes - Owltastic

I visited Buckenham Marshes this afternoon. There were around 5 Barn Owls (possibly more it was hard to keep track) and 2 Short Eared Owls hunting south of the river. Although most of the owls were distant, I did enjoy closer views of both species. At one point, one of the Short Eared Owls mobbed a passing Marsh Harrier.

I would be interested if anyone has a better idea of the number of Barn Owls using the site/area currently.

Also of interest was a Peregrine perched on the ground, a small flock of White Fronted Geese, several Ruff and a female type Marsh Harrier with a white patch on it's belly.

As dusk descended, I enjoyed the racous sights and sounds of the corvids coming to roost near the Station.

Regards

Steve

I visited Buckenham Marshes this afternoon. There were around 5 Barn Owls (possibly more it was hard to keep track) and 2 Short Eared Owls hunting south of the river. Although most of the owls were distant, I did enjoy closer views of both species. At one point, one of the Short Eared Owls mobbed a passing Marsh Harrier.

I would be interested if anyone has a better idea of the number of Barn Owls using the site/area currently.

Also of interest was a Peregrine perched on the ground, a small flock of White Fronted Geese, several Ruff and a female type Marsh Harrier with a white patch on it's belly.

As dusk descended, I enjoyed the racous sights and sounds of the corvids coming to roost near the Station.

Regards

Steve

What time did you spot the SEOs ? I got one on Friday (21/12/12) at around 2PM directly opposite the hide across the river. Any extra info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

What time did you spot the SEOs ? I got one on Friday (21/12/12) at around 2PM directly opposite the hide across the river. Any extra info would be much appreciated.

Regards,
I think it was around 3pm. I stood halfway between the hide and the pub on the other side of the river. All the owls were south of the river. So it sounds like the times and locations are not too disimilar.

Most of the action was distant so a telescope is required. A wide scan of the area south of the river produced a suprising number of owls. The conditions were good as it was a light evening and the wind seemed to drop off slightly towards dusk.

I was thinking of a visit to the other side of the river at some point to try to get closer to the action.

I would be interested to know how you got on particularly in respect of the number of Barn Owls seen.

Cheers

Steve

Stone chat- plus ‘Epitaph for a Shag’

sadly a dead Shag was found at the Salthouse coastguards hut this morning.

The Richardson's goose was seen both at Kelling and in the field behind the village pond west of Salthouse.

News has been received that the blinged partner of the Salthouse ‘bright’ male Stonechat (wrongly ID’d as Sibe by some) has been confirmed as present at St Olave’s- on the A143 between Gt Yarmouth & Beccles. Both birds have been absent from their breeding ground (Gramborough Hill) for some time- so this is most welcome.

Correspondence has been flying back and forth, faster than any Saxicola could manage, between ringers and observers. It is great to see how one female can give so much pleasure to several men, in this way.

From yesterday (when I put my back out with a sneeze, severely curtailing my usual last-minute deliveries- I couldn’t reach up to the cupboard with the cards): a shot of the Cackler, just north of the Salthouse duck pond. Its miniscule size is somewhat apparent here; but I could not hobble to the car quickly enough to snap it whilst it was swimming with its mates, when this was even more obvious.

And, in memoriam the sad demise of the sea-watching P. aristotelis from Cley:

“The three had a Shag in the Cley car park shelter;
At such a close range, must’ve looked quite a belter.
It had quite a job to see over the shingle,
Notwithstanding the season, no bells did it jingle;
And, in its poor state, it could not helter-skelter.”

Attachments

• 043pse.jpg
    043pse.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back