• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (3 Viewers)

I have heard of at least 2 pairs of LSW having some breeding success this year, both in the Brecks. An epic day working (almost) the whole Yare valley found little in the way of unusual waders, but 3 greenshank, 4 green sand and an oystercatcher with a penchant for a supermarket roof were notable. Full account on our webpage.
Just out of interest, does anybody know if there are two hides at Breydon still? We could only locate one (delapidated) hide by the flyover.

Good afternoon with Daniel, despite the worst hayfever attack ever, as he has said full update on our blog.

High Ash Farm, just outside Norwich is great for Linnet at all times of years. They have thousands in winter, but of course some pairs stay to breed!

Titchwell June 16th

Today’s highlights

Roseate tern – 1 fishing in Brancaster Creek @ 16:30 then flew towards Scolt Head
Knot – 2000 roosting on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 27 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Hi all,

I don't usually send this sort of email but it is something I feel quite
strongly about; Plant life are trying to encourage councils to stop
mowing all roadside verges until later in the year, saving many orchid
colonies as well as many other native species. Obviously there are some
roads that need to be cleared for safety reasons, but some seem to be
needlessly cut.
Moths, butterflies, insects as well as the plant species themselves rely
on these natural areas more and more as the agriculture and urbanisation
takes away the places where these species would grow, they also create
very good wildlife corridors linking habitats.

If you wish to read more or sign the petition follow the link, if not
just ignore.

I believe a rather large and new Bee orchid colony was wiped out in suffolk over the past few weeks....

http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign

Thanks for posting that Ben, its something i`ve felt strongly about for several years now, along with the sometimes seemingly needless flailing of hedgerows as well. As you say more & more of our wildlife is being marginalised & these roadside habitats are becoming more important. Just signed the petition myself but only 312 signatures so far. Perhaps you could post this on the conservation thread as well ? I`d do it myself but have`nt mastered putting a link to something in my posts as yet. To end on a birdy note, a trip along the Cromer-Holt road this p.m. produced a Red Kite flying west at c14:00. Is it just me or are other observers seeing more of these this year as well.

roadside habitats are becoming more important. Just signed the petition myself but only 312 signatures so far.

To end on a birdy note, a trip along the Cromer-Holt road this p.m. produced a Red Kite flying west at c14:00. Is it just me or are other observers seeing more of these this year as well.

Please sign the petition.
An excellent colony of bee orchids, including uncommon forms, was mown and destroyed near Lowestoft, only the other day.

The attached is a picture of a red kite in north Norfolk, Saturday. Perhaps the one Rob saw. (Point and shoot record shot)

Attachments

• red kite.JPG
    red kite.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 107
Orchidectomies

Despite a notice requesting 'not to mow', a verge with a small colony between two villages on the north coast road (one with a photogenic windmill) is often razed.

I noticed, before my recent excursions, that it had survived this year- so far.

I will check today.

You are absolutely correct. For some reason I read it as Surlingham Ferry. I think I need new glasses, a holiday or a pint of Wherry!

Ron

Thanks to everyone who replied. The only trouble is that as soon as you get a recommendation for a place, a quick bit of online research throws up loads of people who thought that it was awful.

Still, I trust my fellow BF members implicitly...

Gordon

Despite a notice requesting 'not to mow', a verge with a small colony between two villages on the north coast road (one with a photogenic windmill) is often razed.

I noticed, before my recent excursions, that it had survived this year- so far.

I will check today.

In North Norfolk the NNDC is no longer doing any mowing and Highways are doing the minimum of safety cuts at junctions, etc. so any other 'cosmetic' mowing will be locally organised/paid for by Parish Councils.

Highways have also ceased their spraying of pavements and gutters to remove weeds so all sorts of plants are now sprouting in our village.

all sorts of plants are now sprouting in our village.

This is probably good news, on the whole- apart from the fact that it'll leave our rural areas resembling the 3rd World. Given the current economic situation, this is reasonably appropriate.

The mind boggles as to which sort of weed will spring forth, though !

Red Kites

To end on a birdy note, a trip along the Cromer-Holt road this p.m. produced a Red Kite flying west at c14:00. Is it just me or are other observers seeing more of these this year as well.
Hi Rob
Despite the really cr*p conditions for raptor movement throughout the past three months I've had ten red kites along the coast in the period, the most recent last Thursday over In Focus at Titchwell. Additionally, another four 'wanderers' inland during the same period including a couple of singles over the garden in Attleborough, the latest being last Sunday. Combined with the 'resident' birds I'm probably on around 20 different birds so far this spring which would have been unimaginable ten years ago.
The slight downside on the change in status is that due to the number of sightings the details that finally make it into the Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report now has to be edited into more of a summary. As someone who has similar problems with some of the write ups that I do for the report this is not intended as a criticism but it is a shame that we no longer have all the details of exactly when/where for all sightings as I think it would be interesting reading.
Cheers

Mick

Today’s highlights

Roseate tern – 1 fishing in Brancaster Creek @ 16:30 then flew towards Scolt Head
Knot – 2000 roosting on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 27 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Wigeon – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Hi Paul,
What plumage were the Knot in do you know? Are these birds still on their way North, I'm guessing?
Cheers,
Jim.

This is probably good news, on the whole- apart from the fact that it'll leave our rural areas resembling the 3rd World. Given the current economic situation, this is reasonably appropriate.

The mind boggles as to which sort of weed will spring forth, though !
Our village is starting to look scruffy so we are investigating ways of clearing the weeds from the actual road surfaces.

One plant common down my street is Salsify <I>Tragopogon porrifolius</I> which I think used to be grown as a fodder crop. There are lots of garden escapes.

Our village is starting to look scruffy so we are investigating ways of clearing the weeds from the actual road surfaces.

One plant common down my street is Salsify <I>Tragopogon porrifolius</I> which I think used to be grown as a fodder crop. There are lots of garden escapes.

Dave

The root is something between a Carrot and a Parsnip, we have grown them as a veg.

John

Hi Paul,
What plumage were the Knot in do you know? Are these birds still on their way North, I'm guessing?
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim

All the birds are in non breeding plumage are are probably 1st summer birds that haven't returned to the breeding grounds. They have been around for most of the 'summer' but only come on over the high tides.

Paul

Hi Jim

All the birds are in non breeding plumage are are probably 1st summer birds that haven't returned to the breeding grounds. They have been around for most of the 'summer' but only come on over the high tides.

Paul

Thanks for that insight, ill add it to a Wader thread in the migration sub-forum.

Jim.

We're trying to grow salsify in the school allotment. Far from being fodder, it's considered a rare and fine thing here in the Golden Triangle with a taste something like oyster (strange for a parsnips I know). Sowed a bed of it a month ago and no signs of anything but thistles.

On the birding front, since our amazing male Pied Flycatcher in Earlham Crem, me and Aneurin have seen bugger all. This is mainly due to the fact that he has no idea of what day or night is. Happy birding!

BirdBeard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back