• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Brilliant record of Ravens. It's a county description species :)
Most of us who live in the Brecks still haven't seen this species locally. My only encounter was 2 over West Stow Country Park in August 2009-ish (during the Atlas fieldwork years).

Thanks for sharing, we'll keep our eyes open.
Dawn

Hi there Dawn. Had a customer this week while at work inform me they may have had another sighting of a Raven this Monday around Lynford area like you had here. They would openly call themselves Amateur birders but thought I would let you know
Shaky

Hi there Dawn. Had a customer this week while at work inform me they may have had another sighting of a Raven this Monday around Lynford area like you had here. They would openly call themselves Amateur birders but thought I would let you know
Shaky

I can now come forward with my sighting of a Raven cronking as it flew over Elveden (CenterParcs - Suffolk, sorry!) on 30th Oct 2013. I would consider myself a competent birder but I was concerned as to how this record would be viewed if I put it forward.

Either:
1) It is so far out of known current range that I would be dismissed as obviously mistaken or,
2) I speculated that there might be a pair present in Thetford Forest that are known about by the local birders but kept quiet for fear of the birds being persecuted?

For the two reasons above, I chose not to broadcast my sighting but now it seems that there might be a pair hanging around the general area!

I can now come forward with my sighting of a Raven cronking as it flew over Elveden (CenterParcs - Suffolk, sorry!) on 30th Oct 2013. I would consider myself a competent birder but I was concerned as to how this record would be viewed if I put it forward.

Either:
1) It is so far out of known current range that I would be dismissed as obviously mistaken or,
2) I speculated that there might be a pair present in Thetford Forest that are known about by the local birders but kept quiet for fear of the birds being persecuted?

For the two reasons above, I chose not to broadcast my sighting but now it seems that there might be a pair hanging around the general area!

Hi. Whilst Raven's are gradually spreading across the country, and will almost inevitably do so in Norfolk in the next few years, they are still a rarely recorded bird in the county. As such they really need a description to be sent in to the counties records committee to enable sightings to be formally reviewed.

Looking back at the highlights from your recent trip I noticed that you reported a Willow Tit. This species has seen a dramatic collapse in both population and range in Norfolk (as in much of the country) over the last few years. As a result all records since 2010 have required the submission of a description to the Norfolk Records Committee. You can find details about this and download a description form from http://norfolkbirds.weebly.com/submitting-records.html

I'd also encourage you to submit all of your sightings to the county recorder - assuming that you don't already! Submission using BirdTrack is now the preferred method, but failing that a spread sheet including as a minimum species, location, date, count and any comments (in separate columns) would be appreciated. Please PM me if you have any queries about this.

All the best

Chris A.

Hi. Whilst Raven's are gradually spreading across the country, and will almost inevitably do so in Norfolk in the next few years, they are still a rarely recorded bird in the county. As such they really need a description to be sent in to the counties records committee to enable sightings to be formally reviewed.

Looking back at the highlights from your recent trip I noticed that you reported a Willow Tit. This species has seen a dramatic collapse in both population and range in Norfolk (as in much of the country) over the last few years. As a result all records since 2010 have required the submission of a description to the Norfolk Records Committee. You can find details about this and download a description form from http://norfolkbirds.weebly.com/submitting-records.html

I'd also encourage you to submit all of your sightings to the county recorder - assuming that you don't already! Submission using BirdTrack is now the preferred method, but failing that a spread sheet including as a minimum species, location, date, count and any comments (in separate columns) would be appreciated. Please PM me if you have any queries about this.

All the best

Chris A.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments.

I have already submitted my 2014 records to the Norfolk recorder via Excel spreadsheet & I intend to be submitting them in all future years too. I'll have a look at moving to BirdTrack for 2015.

Perhaps I should have submitted the Raven but it seemed such an unlikely record at the time, coupled with single observer, no photo, fly-over record (and it was actually in Suffolk!), or I thought that maybe they were present in the forest & known about but were being kept quiet.

The Willow Tit was in an area which is being closely watched and I have already had contact with the group monitoring the population there and whom record & document the sightings in that area.

I have the 2013 Norfolk Bird Report and so I am familiar with those which require descriptions should I be fortunate to come across any this year!

Regards,

Thanks again guys.

Yes, as well as the birds, I'm getting in the spring spirit too and can't wait to hear my first local Chiffchaff and see my first Swallow etc. Looking forward to bumping up the ole local year list as well. Five Garganey fresh in at Titchwell today really wets the appetite. Going to the coast tomorrow. About the right time and conditions for a Wheatear I hope.

Cheers.

Steve.

Great morning in the brecks today, arrived at Lynford at dawn c6.30am not much happening around the feeders so headed down to the stream, first bird I saw was a Grey Wagtail, then a pair of calling Marsh tits. Back up at the feeders 2 Hawfinches perched up high in the small paddock area and a nuthatch was feeding on the ground.

I left around 7am and headed to santon downham, unfortunately I was too late for LSW, the female had been calling and drumming but only up until 7am. How rare must these birds be now! We did have a Goshawk over head which was a nice surprise and heard and saw 4-5 Water rails.

I then headed deeper into thetford forest, using a bit of peddle power! A nice clearing produced Woodlarks on the ground and song flighting, then after a short wait a young Goshawk came up with a full crop and interacted with a buzzard for a few minutes. The bird showed well to myself and 2 other birders, not a road, car or other person in sight. Perfect

Hopefully it won't be another two months before I get to go birding again !

Red kites South Beach Heacham - no signs of any migrant activity this morning in terms of small birds but 2 red kites flying south over the beach were a mice surprise. They continued out into the wash presumably heading for Lincolnshire with a considerable distance opening up between them. A Marsh Harrier flew south over the sea shortly afterwards, but remained closer in. A female stonechat was in the scrub with a male in the field by the end of the approach road. Ray Roche

Stonechat

Walked the Norfolk Coast Path between Wells and Cley yesterday, hoping for my first wheatear of the year. No wheatears sadly but was struck by the number of stonechat with a total of eleven seen including four at Morston and five together on the fence around Blakeney Fresh Marsh.

Ravens

I thought that maybe they were present in the forest & known about but were being kept quiet.

You're right to highlight the persecution concerns surrounding breeding Ravens. However, the attached map of breeding distribution change between the 1988–91 and 2007–11 Bird Atlases (with the location of Thetford Forest very roughly marked in purple) shows that they still have some distance to go before we have to face that issue in Norfolk. (Or at least they did have a way to go, by the end of the 2011 breeding season!)

Wonder how long before the first successful Norfolk breeding Ravens? Going only by some back-of-an-envelope calculations on the rate of expansion between those 2 Atlas periods, I guess it might be as long as ~10 years. Certainly looks like remaining a County Rarity for a while yet, anyway. How ever long it takes, the Brecks certainly seem a likely place for them to start.

All of the Atlas maps for Raven – and all other species recorded during that project – are available (free) here: http://blx1.bto.org/mapstore/StoreServlet?id=456

Attachments

• raven.jpg
    raven.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
BirdTrack, Cley Bird Club 11/3/15

I'd also encourage you to submit all of your sightings to the county recorder - assuming that you don't already! Submission using BirdTrack is now the preferred method
Thanks Chris.

More on this – including how the data are being used at local, national and international scales – at the Cley Bird Club indoor meeting at Cley Village Hall, Wednesday 11 March at 8pm: http://www.cleybirdclub.org.uk/cbc/generic.asp?pageid=7

Would be great to see you there.

Last edited:
Up to five Hawfinch (four males) feeding under the Hornbeams by the feeders at Lynford this morning, plus another 10-12 birds feeding and calling in the pines within the arboretum. Doubtless some movement between the two feeding areas, but probably 15 or more birds in total. First visit for a couple of years, but still the best views ive had of the species there.

David

Any more pics besides the one on your blog?

No: the bird was with a mixed thrush flock by the back gate of the reserve: they quickly flew into the woods as one of the group of four I was with tried for a better shot.

It was one of those days: didn't get images of the Crane, Red Kite, sm. Tort and the RLB, SEO and Bewick's were all very distant. Still: all good to see.

Pleasant morning out around the coastal park at Snettisham this morning, the highlights of which were three Barn Owl and a Short eared Owl over Ken Hill marsh along with no less than 16 Buzzards perched on the hawthorn bushes and fence posts. Normally see one or two but never so many within such a small area! Steady trickle of bits overhead including several flocks of Redwing (about 650 in total) and a single flock of 19 Great Tit south along the beach. Nice to hear the Woodlarks back on territory, singing along beach road.

David

Up to five Hawfinch (four males) feeding under the Hornbeams by the feeders at Lynford this morning, plus another 10-12 birds feeding and calling in the pines within the arboretum. Doubtless some movement between the two feeding areas, but probably 15 or more birds in total. First visit for a couple of years, but still the best views ive had of the species there.

David

Hi David,

Am planning a visit to the Brecks this weekend and am not that familiar with Lynford. I assume that when you refer to the pines, they could be anywhere, but whereabouts might I find the feeders you mentioned?

Cheers

Perry

From the arboretum car park, which is off the road from A1065 in Mundford and goes past Lynford Hall, cross the road and follow the straight path. On the left after 150 yards, after going past a alrge pair of gates there is a five barred gate on your left, look from here. There is a 'tunnel' formed by the trees with feeders, a drinking pool.
Hawfinches feed on the ground here and do give excellent views- you also get excellent views of the backs of peoples' heads as it is rather popular at the moment.
The feeders are topped up by the owner of the house who deserves a lot of thanks!

Hi Perry

Birds were coming down to feed, from the spot described above by Peter, for most of the time we were there, so with a bit of patience you should get good views. The pines where birds were feeding, were around the marked path within the arboretum, furthest from the track leading out of the car park, directly opposite the five barred gate.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back