• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Titchwell May 28th

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh early morning only
Red crested pochard - 7 on Patsy's reedbed
Little gull - 11 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 1 on saltmarsh
Ruff - 1 on fresh marsh. Only the 2nd record this May!
Ringed plover - 22 presumed tundra birds this afternoon
Dunlin - 4 with ringed plover

Paul

Thanks for the reply Nick. But I think I live about 10 minutes away from the ones in Norfolk, so I was really asking where best to view them in Norfolk (the alternative being trying to search out the nest myself and risk disturbing them!)

Find this a bit odd- if you think you live 10 minutes away, why not scan an area from public footpaths and/or laybys? There should be no need to search for a nest under any circumstances, regardless of the fact the nest is probably in the middle of a field on private land.

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. You've arrived on the forum, under an alias, have not taken the trouble to introduce yourself and instead begun by asking for directions to a rare breeding Bird that you think may be down the road from you.

On the other hand, I'm sure you're a decent sort with a genuine interest who hasn't quite understood the significance of their request.

Can you see where I'm coming from? No offence intended.

Jim.

Thanks for the reply Nick. But I think I live about 10 minutes away from the ones in Norfolk, so I was really asking where best to view them in Norfolk (the alternative being trying to search out the nest myself and risk disturbing them!)
I agree with Jim, what a strange post, searching for a nest!!!.

Montagu's Harrier

By 10 mins, I meant a short drive away. As for searching for the nest, all I meant was accidentally coming to close to the area where the actual nest is in the process of trying to see the bird. All I want is a Monty tick! Not eggs, nor to destroy a beautiful creature. Can anyone PM me with a good location to watch without disturbing the bird in any way?

Well... I do understand that in the context of an internet forum, you can't know who to trust. You're a wise man jimbob! And I am actually an undercover RSPB agent - this was a test, and you passed. But seriously, any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry folks seems my nightingale question caused a bit of a stir. Appreciate as a first post it wasn't very introductory. In my defence Google nightingales in Norfolk and salthouse comes up. Anyway had a thoroughly enjoyable bird around a part of Norfolk I didn't know and had a go at finding out for myself.

Well... I do understand that in the context of an internet forum, you can't know who to trust. You're a wise man jimbob! And I am actually an undercover RSPB agent - this was a test, and you passed. But seriously, any tips would be appreciated.

Here's a tip; stop asking questions about sensitive breeding birds on a public forum

I had never seen a Montagu's harrier either, despite trying at some old publicised watch points in the past, and it was one of my biggest bogey birds. I was over the moon when it was made public that they were nesting at Blacktoft this year and travelled up to the reserve from my home in London a couple of weeks ago. After an hour and half wait I had both birds in the air giving great views.

To say I was thrilled is an understatement - birding highlight of the year so far for me which will take some beating.

Hensona you should do the same and head up there, I assure you it is well worth it.

Ian

:clap:
Find this a bit odd- if you think you live 10 minutes away, why not scan an area from public footpaths and/or laybys? There should be no need to search for a nest under any circumstances, regardless of the fact the nest is probably in the middle of a field on private land.

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. You've arrived on the forum, under an alias, have not taken the trouble to introduce yourself and instead begun by asking for directions to a rare breeding Bird that you think may be down the road from you.

On the other hand, I'm sure you're a decent sort with a genuine interest who hasn't quite understood the significance of their request.

Can you see where I'm coming from? No offence intended.

Jim.

Wacton Common & Fritton Common

Wacton Common & Fritton Common
Thanks to Stratton Birder's positive reports and needing to venture to a location where not too much walking was required ( as Rob pulled his achilles' badly last Sunday), we drove to both Fritton Common and Wacton Commons' this evening and had some short strolls. Both are within easy striking distance of our home, but we have not gone searching for birds at either location previously. The former was a very pretty amble, although little bird activity, this evening. The bird action was noticeably better at Wacton and we enjoyed avidly watching a number of hirundines hunting over the pond. I can see why the habitat at Wacton generated that uber winter of owls and raptors in 2008. We will certainly be returning to both locations and thanks Steve for encouraging us to try out some new haunts close to home. Carol :gh:

Sorry for asking. On an entirely different note went to a certain heath the other day - can't say which on a public forum, and saw some birds - won't say which (sure you understand), it was very nice.

Sorry for asking. On an entirely different note went to a certain heath the other day - can't say which on a public forum, and saw some birds - won't say which (sure you understand), it was very nice.

Sympathise with you Hensona - there is a definite 'we know but we ain't telling you' culture on birdforum regarding certain breeding birds. I would make the following observations:
(1) The success or otherwise of these rare breeding birds is almost entirely down to environmental factors.
(2) Unfortunately, egg collectors probably have better 'gen' than most birders.
(3) For many of the species people get so twitchy about, the information is already in the public domain.
(4)Most of the species under discussion are not endangered. For example Montagu's Harrier is IUCN of least concern.

Sympathise with you Hensona - there is a definite 'we know but we ain't telling you' culture on birdforum regarding certain breeding birds. I would make the following observations:
(1) The success or otherwise of these rare breeding birds is almost entirely down to environmental factors.
(2) Unfortunately, egg collectors probably have better 'gen' than most birders.
(3) For many of the species people get so twitchy about, the information is already in the public domain.
(4)Most of the species under discussion are not endangered. For example Montagu's Harrier is IUCN of least concern.

Complete and utter garbage. Point 1 and 2 are completely contradictory. Point 3, if it is in the public domain and you know it is, why are you crying about the fact you know nothing? 4 is Abhorrent.

" there is a definite 'we know but we ain't telling you' culture on birdforum regarding certain breeding birds."

After the tone and content of some recent posts, I for one am not surprised.

Complete and utter garbage. Point 1 and 2 are completely contradictory. Point 3, if it is in the public domain and you know it is, why are you crying about the fact you know nothing? 4 is Abhorrent.

Blimey Kayn, calm down! My point is that divulging info on these birds will have little or no effect on their breeding success. We didn't lose Red-backed Shrike as a breeding species because of newbie birders disturbing their nests! If we want to encourage Monty's breeding in the UK then we need to address much bigger issues!
PS Seen plenty of Monty's thanks - just empathising with Hensona. I am assuming he is relatively new to the hobby and needs encouragement/info.

I too doubt if disturbance by birders was responsible for the loss of the Red-backed Shrike as a breeding species just as I doubt shooting Turtle Doves on passage is entirely responsible for them heading in the same direction as the shrikes. However, as species decline there is an increasing urge to add them to life lists or whichever list those who keep them consider essential.

While I do not keep lists, I have no objection to those who do but only if these lists are compiled without the uneccessary and sometimes illegal disturbance.

Death at Choseley

Have just returned from a family break in Norfolk.

I have pretty much 'phased' from birding in favour of other pursuits these days but called in at Choseley Barns on Wednesday evening 'for old times sake' as much as anything else.

I can now report that what may have been the sole remaining female Dotterel at Choseley was killed and carried off by a Marsh Harrier at 6:23pm on the day in question.

Now there's a predator/prey combination I hadn't seen before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back