• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (2 Viewers)

And a male plus a rather nice pose by a Green Veined White - I struggle to get decent pics of the whites so happy with this.

Attachments

• P1070596.jpg
    P1070596.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P1070617 - Copy (2).jpg
    P1070617 - Copy (2).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 51
And a probable silver-washed flew through sea mere farm, hingham yesterday, suggesting either there's a colony somewhere around tg0000 or that there's a migration up from suffolk taking place. Definitely worth checking any wood in the square from watton to attleborough to thetford to mundford. (as well as any woodland on the cromer ridge of course)

Wood Green near Long Stratton held hundreds of Meadow Browns today and several dozen Ringlets. Also five Large Skippers, seven Small Skippers, five Small Tortoiseshells, three Small White and two Five-spot Burnets.
Walking through a quiet peaceful meadow, absolutely surrounded by butterflies and bees, is one of the best and most relaxing ways of enjoying British wildlife that I know.

And one makes six

There were 2 males and 2 females in the ‘usual spot’ (eventually) at Holt Country Park, this afternoon.

Another male was, simultaneously, further back down the track. None of these were the same as the ‘first’ male.

Extrapolating (it’s OK, it’s still legal), that makes 6 SwFrits having been present in the last week. Thanks to Dave x2, Kieran and other for the constant and hilarious number-checking.

A couple of White Admirals and a co-operative Green-veined White were in attendance.

Attachments

• 409pse.jpg
    409pse.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 483pse.jpg
    483pse.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 357pse.jpg
    357pse.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 45
Flutter-byes a plenty

There was a single White Admiral at St Faiths Common near Horsford this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon at Strumpshaw Fen, there were high numbers of Small Tortoiseshells and Meadow Browns which were seemingly coming from every bush and patch of ground. Also of note were Ringlets, 2-3 Large Skipper, 2 Commas and a couple of Green Veined Whites.

Cheers

Steve

PS Also a Magpie Moth came into the house last night

PPS Also my first Gatekeeper of the year.

Last edited:
And, from this morning, some more Hawkmoths from the traps. (Thanks, again, M.)

From the left: Privet, Small Elephant, Pine, Eyed and Poplar.

And nice pick of the BbBHM, Mic (or something). Your camera must be faster than mine.

Attachments

• 232pse.jpg
    232pse.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 226pse.jpg
    226pse.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 167pse.jpg
    167pse.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 056pse.jpg
    056pse.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 031pse.jpg
    031pse.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 53
White Admirals

At ride 109 Cockley Cley there were 3 White Admirals this afternoon with plenty of Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Large White and a single Comma.

A Broad-bordered Bee hawk-moth kept me entertained, as did 2 Tree Pipits.

Sue

Attachments

• Broad-bordered-(2)-Bee-Hawk.jpg
    Broad-bordered-(2)-Bee-Hawk.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Broad-bordered-Bee-Hawk-mot.jpg
    Broad-bordered-Bee-Hawk-mot.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
The object of my quest was soon found, as I searched the poplars along Lady Anne’s Drive. A new moth for me, Hornet Clearwing is spectacular, when viewed through the wrong end of bins.

A Poplar Hawkmoth was a ‘wild’, but not unsurprising, find.

The caterpillar awaits an ID.

Three White Admirals preceded a White-letter Hairstreak that deigned to descend, a few hundred yards west.

Attachments

• 015pse.jpg
    015pse.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 70
  • 344pse.jpg
    344pse.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 004pse.jpg
    004pse.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 475pse.jpg
    475pse.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 71
‘Twas brillyant, and the slighty post
Thru wyre and gimbel to the thread . . .

Thanks, Jabberwocky- that looks like it.

John had the Hornet moth emerged this morning?

I believe so, Robert; although I didn’t think to ask it (!). It was struggling in the grass at the base of one of the trees (the 3rd one south of the overflow car park, on the east side of the Drive), when I spotted it.

There is another likely tree next to the car park supervisor’s ‘shed’.

Have another pic.

Attachments

• 083pse.jpg
    083pse.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 103
Cheers John, I know an area of poplar which shows signs of these beasties so will give them another look. Looked for them last weekend but no joy.

Last edited:
Ringland Hills TG1212

A walk along the track west from Ringland Hills and back along roads produced some good butterflies in the sunshine.

Many meadow browns, including a pair in cop with a second male trying to join the pair but unable to get a look in...
Small tort, ringlet, unidentified white species (out at last around Norwich in recent days), large skipper
New for me in 2013 gatekeeper and small skipper (orange on antennae)
The skippers were along grassy verges and the first one I came across I assumed would be small but the antennae were, or appeared to be, inky black and thus Essex skipper.

11 White Admirals at Roydon yesterday between the crossroads and the old dragonfly pool (now sadly all dried up!) with many Ringlets too.

Sue

Attachments

• White-Admiral-(1) Roydon 160713.jpg
    White-Admiral-(1) Roydon 160713.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 91
One of two Purple Hairstreaks was low down in the trees at the entrance to Tyrrel's Wood yesterday, enabling me to take a reasonable record shot of it, and my first Essex Skipper of the year was in a Hempnall garden this afternoon.

Last edited:
Well spotted John- you caught the perp'. I now post this in the correct thread!

Although not in Norfolk, I thought Forumites may like to know that 100's of Purple Emperor Butterflies are on the wing in Northants woods. I would post the site name, but not too sure if this is sensitive although information is easily obtainable. Worth a look if you are over that way. Stands out as my top wildlife experience of last Summer (although I was in Hertfordshire as I recall).

Cheers,
Jim.

Holkham

A walk west of Lady Anne's Drive, late morning, produced a single Hummingbird Hawk Moth and c.6 White Letter Hairstreak.

Other butterflies included 2 White Admiral, 1 Speckled Wood and good numbers of Small Skipper, Meadow Brown and Ringlet.

HummerHawkIIcrop.jpg

Kieran

Users who are viewing this thread

Back