• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (8 Viewers)

Had what was a great day at work today ( don't often say that , especially on a Saturday!) but I ended with at least 17 brown tail moths ( thanks for help with ID James & Jim!) and among other things a beautiful Purple Hairstreak on the ground as I worked. This was 1 of 3 which were around the tree tops of an old Oak. This was my first sightng of both species and being a bit if a novious to moths and butterflies but I can say I've got hooked to these fantastic creatures!pictures on blog
Shaky

Whilst dipping the Kelling Two-barred we had a good selection of butterflies, including numerous Silver-studded Blues, at least 4 Purple Hairstreaks, White Admiral and a Grayling.

Sam

The Silver Washed Fritillaries and White Admirals were still easy to find at Holt Country Park yesterday afternoon. Both species were seen within minutes of turning up in the car park. I had several sightings of the Frits and there were 10+ White Admiral. A wide range of other species were seen including Grayling, Large Skipper and pristine looking Peacocks. The only species I had to work hard for was 1+ Purple Hairstreak in the canopy. Green Tiger and various species of Longhorn Beetle were spotted too.

Despite being sunny and warm at Holt, a few miles down the road at Cley it was cool and very misty which limited the bird watching opportunities.

Cheers

Steve

Great views of the chalkhill blues at Warham Camp this afternoon. Sadly is was a bit too windy for decent photos. Lots of brown argus and meadow brown too.

Paul

Butterfly highlights in the Hickling area today included a splendid White Admiral in Coll's Plantation, four or five Purple Hairstreaks showing well in a small oak along the Weavers Way near Rush Hill and a Swallowtail at the NWT reserve. Several dozen Peacocks, a few Large and Small Skippers, a couple of hundred Gatekeepers, lots of whites and single Small Tortoiseshell and Comma also added to the general enjoyment.

Steve.

It was butterfly heaven at Strumpshaw today with large numbers of many of the more common species. There were literally hundreds of pristine Peacocks, with a constant stream of them taking off from the paths in front of us. They were also all over the buddleia bushes which are in flower now. There were large numbers of Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers and more Commas than I have seen for years. Along with a few Red Admirals and Small Tortoiseshells and a couple of Speckled Woods and Ringlets they were a brilliant sight in the sunshine.

Ron

It is in a clearing in a wooded area (so hopefully will get birds coming down to drink etc). The easiest way to get to it is to go down Gilman Road along the western edge of the northern half of the heath. You will come to an obvious clearing on the right with lots of flowers and bushes (not one of the sports fields) and in the clearing a new pond has been dug out. There isn't any vegetation around it yet, it has slightly raised sandy-mud banks.

Where is this new pond that you speak of?

silver-washed Fritillary

one fresh adult silver washed nectaring by the Lotus Factory, Hethel on Sunday

TG 15769 01113

poor picture record obtained if anyone should need it.

I found this Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar at Thorpe Marsh NWT today. I was a bit surprised that it was green, as I have seen several before that were brown, but it appears that they start off like this and then turn brown when fully grown.

Attachments

• Elephant Hawk Moth cat (800x600).jpg
    Elephant Hawk Moth cat (800x600).jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 51
Another Silver washed was reported from Norwich Road, Costessey on Sunday. Does anyone ever visit Drayton Wood? Got to be apossibility I'd think.

Hethel makes me wonder about Ashwellthorpe wood, but I checked that a couple of weeks ago. Anyone able to suggest any other candidates for a source?

Any estimates of silver washed numbers at holt? The last figure I've had is a while back at 6 seen, but I'm hoping there's more now.

It is in a clearing in a wooded area (so hopefully will get birds coming down to drink etc). The easiest way to get to it is to go down Gilman Road along the western edge of the northern half of the heath. You will come to an obvious clearing on the right with lots of flowers and bushes (not one of the sports fields) and in the clearing a new pond has been dug out. There isn't any vegetation around it yet, it has slightly raised sandy-mud banks.

Ta!

Quite a few swallowtail caterpillars yesterday at Ranworth - from a day old, through to large, juicy jobs on the flowers of the food plant.

Rumours of a silver washed at strumpshaw sunday,who knows?.

First I'd heard about it. I checked the sightings board to see Silver Washed Fritillary (female) reported from Sunday.

I'd expect that if the obsever ID'd it as being a female it sounds like they know what they are talking about and its not just a comma/speckled wood etc? (I have seen worse misidentifications with birds at the site though)

If anyone finds out any more info about this record please let me know, it could be the first record for the site so would be good to know one way or the other.
Cheers- Ben

having not seen a single peacock in the garden so far this year this morning we have 20+ on the budlia in our front garden. Also our first comma of the year and the first few gatekeepers too, along with large numbers of whites and tortoiseshells. There was a moth on it two which I didn't recognise but having looked it up it appears to be a silver y moth, the first that I am aware of having seen.

Butterfly highlights in the Hickling area today included a splendid White Admiral in Coll's Plantation, four or five Purple Hairstreaks showing well in a small oak along the Weavers Way near Rush Hill and a Swallowtail at the NWT reserve. Several dozen Peacocks, a few Large and Small Skippers, a couple of hundred Gatekeepers, lots of whites and single Small Tortoiseshell and Comma also added to the general enjoyment.

Steve.

Pics here.

A few more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittykat23uk/sets/72157600329132177/

All the best

Jo :t:

Attachments

• 9415530893_1da5ff830a_b.jpg
    9415530893_1da5ff830a_b.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 9418303378_a68c0f3b07_b.jpg
    9418303378_a68c0f3b07_b.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back