• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American Gull Books—suggestions? (1 Viewer)

BAL Land

United States
Hi all,
Does anyone have any good recommendations for gull guides for North America? It’s ok if it has gulls form other parts of the world as well. I’ve been told that the Peterson Reference guide to the gulls of the Americas is very good, but I’m wondering if others feel the same way, and if they have any other suggestions.
Thanks!

I foudn these books for you:

Gulls of North America by Shaffer III, Fred

Gulls Simplified: A Comparative Approach to Identification by Dunne, Pete and Kevin T. Karlson

Gulls of the World: A Photographic Guide by Olsen, Klaus Malling

Hope one of these is the right one.

I foudn these books for you:

Gulls of North America by Shaffer III, Fred

Gulls Simplified: A Comparative Approach to Identification by Dunne, Pete and Kevin T. Karlson

Gulls of the World: A Photographic Guide by Olsen, Klaus Malling

Hope one of these is the right one.
I have the last of those & it is a good book.

Hi all,
Does anyone have any good recommendations for gull guides for North America? It’s ok if it has gulls form other parts of the world as well. I’ve been told that the Peterson Reference guide to the gulls of the Americas is very good, but I’m wondering if others feel the same way, and if they have any other suggestions.
Thanks!
Not sure what type of guide you are looking for. "Gulls of the Americas" by Howell & Jon Dunn – the Peterson Reference guide you mention – is very good and has a lot of detail. It is a large, heavy book with loads of photographs. Not something you would carry in the field. As the category "reference guide" suggests, it is more something you would consult as a reference for a particular problem bird, or to learn about a particular species after or before going into the field. It also covers all the South American gulls. The Shaffer and Pete Dunne/Karlson books are smaller and limited to North American gulls. I have not seen either book but I am familiar with all those authors. The descriptions indicate they are focused on the practical task of efficient gull identification Dunne and Karlson are known for what might be called non-technical approaches to bird identification, e.g. GISS and comparative approaches, i.e. identifying a bird by comparison to nearby birds.

Another resource to consider is the Jon Dunn Advanced Birding gull video DVDs. I believe these cover all the North American gulls and are broken down into two DVDs, one for the large and one for the small gulls. Nothing beats video for simulating the field experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back