• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinions on the Conquest HD 10x42, please (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
A friend asked me what I thought about the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. I have a Zeiss 8x42 FL, but I have no experience with the Conquest HDs. What I find here on BF is mostly about the other HD models, 8x32 in particular. The 10x42 being mentioned on the side, at best. So could those with particular experience with the 10x42 HD model please say a few words on what they like or dislike, please? Also, any alternatives that are in the same price range would be of interest.
The binoculars are intended for use in the tropics, including rain forest. So close focus and light transmission are an issue.

A friend asked me what I thought about the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42. I have a Zeiss 8x42 FL, but I have no experience with the Conquest HDs. What I find here on BF is mostly about the other HD models, 8x32 in particular. The 10x42 being mentioned on the side, at best. So could those with particular experience with the 10x42 HD model please say a few words on what they like or dislike, please? Also, any alternatives that are in the same price range would be of interest.
The binoculars are intended for use in the tropics, including rain forest. So close focus and light transmission are an issue.
After trying the Zeiss Conquest HD and comparing them to quite a few alpha level binoculars and mid-range binoculars I feel like a lot of members that at their price point they represent an exceptional value. If I was spending a $1000.00 or less they would be one of my top choices. But they are a rung down the ladder in optics and build quality from the top tier alpha's costing $2000.00 and more like the Swarovski Swarovision and Zeiss SF as you would expect. To me they are a little blocky and cumbersome compared to the SV or SF in ergonomics but that depends on how big your hands are. If you have an FL I don't see why you would want the Conquest. The FL overall is probably a little better.

The Zeiss Conquest is my benchmark for binoculars in that price range. I've looked at others but it seems I always gravitate back to the Conquest 8X32 and 10X42. The 10X42 has appeal to me as a general always available car binocular. I've been using various models in the $300 to $400 range but would like to upgrade. The 10X42 Zeiss Conquest is on the top of my list. I really should quit stalling around and get one.

Other models that come to mind in the Conquest price range are the outgoing and new Leica Trinovid and the Vortex Razor. Less mainstream and more expensive is the Kowa Genesis. Stretching the price range even more would be the Swaro SLC. The Swaro CL is about the same price but is a totally different class. The Cabela's Instinct by Meopta is also worth considering, but they are again more expensive when not on sale, are heavier and the eye cups are on the short side for some.

I compared the Conquest 10X42 to the outgoing Trinovid a couple of times recently and the Conquest was the easy choice for me. As best I could tell in a store environment, it seems to have a more neutral color balance and looked brighter. The Zeiss website states "the CONQUEST HD offers light transmission of more than 90%". I also liked the feel and fit better. It was just an around better match for what I am looking for. The Razor is an interesting choice with a somewhat larger field of view but at a higher price. I have looked at the Razor and liked it but I did not leave with the same comfort level as I do when looking at the Conquest. The SLC would probably win out slightly optically over the Conquest, but it does not have a close focus.

As far as surviving the rain forest, the Conquest appears to be a rugged binocular based on this popular YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H64FCbtKKqs

One thing to keep in mind is that Zeiss offers an optional eye cup that is slightly longer than the one that comes with the Conquest. That is a nice option for folks like me who do better with binoculars having a longer eye cup in relation to the eye relief.

I basically agree with the post above by Dennis other than I did not get any bulk impression that he did.

Last edited:

Hi Swissboy

I have visited South Africa and Zimbabwe with a 10x and although it gave me many memorable moments I am convinced an 8x would have been better.

Much of the wildlife action took place at dawn and dusk so the 10x was not ideal with regard to brightness and during the heat of the day, long distance viewing where the 10x might have been expected to excel was limited by the rapidly increasing heat haze. Depending on the density of the canopy a 10x might not be ideal either and when trying to 'acquire' a target in rain forest, and a guide or fellow traveller is trying to tell you where to look and you can't really understand their instructions then a good field of view is helpful so an 8x would be better for this reason too.

Lee

If I could find them within the same price range, I would take either a Kowa Genesis, Vortex Razor HD, or Cabela's Euro HD over the Conquest HD. That said, the differences are somewhat minor and may depend more upon user preferences. The Razor is lighter and seemed sharper, the Genesis is heavier but has the best sharpness, edge-to-edge clarity, and CA control, and the Euro HD was a bit heavier but I preferred the ergonomics.

Try before you buy or try at a place offering good refunds!

Hi!

I bought my Conquest HD 10x42 more than a year ago, I preferred it to (referring always to the 10x42 model at the shop of www.optikriesen.ch):

- Kite Ibis (same price in Switzerland, didn't like the "open bridge design", has no metal body as the Conquest HD, less contrast);

- Swarovski EL SV (too expensive, don't need sharp borders, longer)

The only binocular I rated "better", was the EL SV 10x50, but I didn't want to spend the double sum of money. And it's more bulky and heavier.

Two months later I had the opportunity to compare my Conquest HD to the following top-class bins (in Sempach, your hometown, at a Vogelwarte meeting, thanks to Martin Hüsler of Fotolade Rössli in Beromünster (www.fotolade.ch):

- Ultravid HD (not plus)
- Zeiss SF
- Swarovski EL SV again

But the Conquest HD was as good as the others regarding sharpness and contrast, it had even a brighter image than the EL SV (IMHO).

I am still happy with it, but I ordered some days ago a Meopta B1 7x42 in addition to it (for woodlands and to gain an overview in birdwatching, the Conquest for the details). Well, I'm carrying two binoculars simultaneously during my birding trips ...

The one (more or less big) con of the Conquest HD:

The eyecups are not good. The ones of my Conquest HD were damaged after some weeks. (Well, the after-sales service would replace them instantly. But I am wearing glasses, and don't need to change the position of the eyecups.) Therefore I would not advise the Conquest HD binoculars for people who interchange the bin with others and want to change the position of the eyecups often - these probably wouldn't stand that.

Recently, I had the opportunity to look through a Swarovski SLC 10x42. These binoculars would be for me now an alternative to the Conquest HD. They are a bit more expensive (in Switzerland), but have good eyecups and an excellent contrast.

My answers to your other questions: Close focus of my Conquest HD is about 2,5 metres. The transmission is - as others have already stated - excellent.

Markus

Hello Markus, fellow Swiss! Welcome to Birdforum!

And many thanks for your assessment. It will go to a third Swiss fellow, the one who initiated my query, but who lives in Canada and Panama.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back