• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orinda, CA - more October-November mixed (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
1) **** Sparrow (I've never been in an area that had so many kinds of sparrows before...)

2) ???

3) Sorry, I know it's a bad-photo long-shot...

4) a female...something...kinglet?

Thanks, gang!

Attachments

• A-Sparrow - Orinda CA - 10-2015 - P1151.jpg
    A-Sparrow - Orinda CA - 10-2015 - P1151.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 59
  • A-Unknown - Orinda CA - 10-2015 - P0461.jpg
    A-Unknown - Orinda CA - 10-2015 - P0461.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 72
  • A11-26-2015-P2297.jpg
    A11-26-2015-P2297.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 120
  • A-IMGP2272.jpg
    A-IMGP2272.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 71
Can only guess for 3. In that environment airbourne flocks generally end up being starlings or cedar waxwings.

Hard to be be sure from the picture, but the long, thin wings and flashes of white in #3 make me think nighthawks...

i assume the white flashes are real - i can see them in at least 7 birds in the same place on inner arm: snow buntings.

Not in California Lou! If you consider the diversity of responses so far, I think it is safe to say that these birds are unidentifiable from this photo.

Would need more pics to call snow bunting...we've had a few buntings/longspurs moving through recently so not impossible.

I still don't think the white patches are real. If backlighting is implicated, say, the trailing edge of the inner wing is one of the places one might particularly expect them.

Last edited:
the way it is shown in different birds and always in the same place and the large shape of the white field in the bird with spread wing makes me think (and i'm quite sure on this) that it is not an artefact.

I don't know enough about the alternatives in the USA to say whether they are or aren't Snow Buntings for certain but I am sure the white patches are for real rather than a trick of the light and I think that rules out most - all? - of them

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back