• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Other birding areas in Czech Republic (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Hi everyone,

suprisingly little can be found on this forum (or anywhere on the internet, as a matter of fact) about the various wonderful small localities in the Czech Republic. I figured that being confined to bed and having not much else to do, I may as well share some tips here. Please keep in mind that these are very much "amatuer" suggestion. I started seriously birding only a year ago - but I have been living in this country for 30 years and most of my life, even through childhood, I have been an outdoors fanatic, so I do have something to build upon. In fact, I spend most of the free time in the last year in the amazing process of rediscovering well-known places through the eyes of the birder.

The following list is just my personal experience, some of these are very well known places, others are just random patches I have stumbled upon and there is probably a much better place 10 minutes away from them which I will never discover. Most of them will be in some "aquatic" area, basicaly just places where there is nice water with some green around, as these places are ultimately the easiest to birdwatch. Luckily, the more advanced destinations (such as some mountainous areas with owls and stuff) are well covered in Opus!

note: I can't seem to find a way to simply make an URL for a specific place in googlemaps any more, so if you want to know the exact spot, just put earch the coordinates to search on google maps.

Let's start with three rich small spots right in the capital city:

1. River Vltava, Trója, Prague - 50.115983,14.400458
My "home patch", about three kilometers from my home. The only unregulated strech of the river (boats go around), with a small grassy submerging island in the middle. Black-headed gulls are abundant, with a offchance for a Medditerean. Large gulls in some winters. Grey herons, night herons, little grebes, moorhens, cormorants (about 300 wintering), various ducks, maybe a kingfisher - all basically inside a milion-headed town. The biggest attraction to me are wintering common goldeneyes, but there is even a chance for some more exotics waterfowl. When you get bored with the wildlife, one of Europe's premium ZOOs is right next door.

2. Slatina fish pond, Prague - 50.069591,14.572992
Dubbed "the most imporant locality in Prague", this small unasuming fishpond is a place of true wonders. Crested grebes and coots make most of the sights on the surface, but in the reeds around, there is a lot more, with many species of warblers and generl birdlife is unusually rich in the green area around. There is supposed to be a bank swallow colony nearby, but it's probably on a private property. Nevertheless, the biggest attratcion of this year was a single little bittern, which I sadly failed to see.

3. "V pískovně" natural reserve - 50.093935,14.572113
A small old sand quarry filled with water is a part of a larger wildlife area between several big suburbs. I grew to like it very quickly when I found out that a kingfisher sighting is almost guaranteed here, as the locality is very small and thus the colourful sprinter does not have much space to hide. Also a spectacular place to just visit, with trees in the water and a jungly feeling.

Many fantastic places throughout the country are found among fish ponds. There are several major fishpond areas and many small individual ponds, but it's not very easy to judge just by looking at the map, which places are good. Some of the ponds are completely sterile fish-making factories, some just make home to a couple of mallards and a pair of swans - and some are sprawling world-class wildlife refuges.

The principal fish-pond area in Bohemia (the western part of the country) is in the south, spreading across almost a hundred kilometers east-west. A part of it is the protected landsapce Třeboňsko with a plethora of small-scale natural reserves. Sadly, some of these reserves (as is the case of the legendary Velký tisý near Třeboň) are now basically abandoned by the birds as a result of changes in agriculture and other conditions. Thus, information on locations becomes quickly outdated.

The following places are just random suggestions from this huge area, I am very far from having it thoroughly mapped out.

4. "Vrbenské rybníky" natural reserve, České Budějovice - 49.006011,14.437208
For some reason beyond my understanding, the single greatest place in the whole area lies just at the edge of the largest city (100 000 people). It's definitely the only place I know where you can regularly see a spoonbill from a bus! Other highlights include night herons, black-winged stilts, eared grebes, little egrets, red-crested pochards and basicly whatever fyou can imagine floating on a fishpond in this range. The absolute top level of the patch has been recently confirmed by repeated sightings of a glossy ibis. The whole area is kind of a park for the city, so there are asphlated roads between the ponds and the birds are completely used to people passing by, making observations extremely easy and relaxed.

5. Vyšatov fish pond - 48.995537,14.370089
Nesting avocets, what's more to say? Add a colony of common terns, spice with a couple of waders when the waters are low and you get another nice place. Here, more discretion is advised as the pond is more remote. Most of the birds are found on the islands that are in a reasonable distance from the shore so that birds are easily observed while staying hidden at the shore.

6. Vlhlavský rybník - 49.05002,14.286661
A rather large water surface, maybe a little boring at the first sight. Yet I observed a black-tailed godwit and a red-necked phalarope here (after a notice on www.birds.cz, don't count on them being there all the time) here. Ruffs and other waders (even a redshank) can be present, depending on conditions. Common shleducks made a nice sight once for me.

7. Řežabinec - 49.252568,14.091482
A great place for people with large telescopes, as the observation tower is on the other side of the pond than most of the birds (and it's illegal to approach their side of the pond from up close). Frequent observations of little gulls (I haven't seen one, but they are difficult from distance), even black terns, large goose population. Seems to be curiously rich in bluethroats (I have seen one couple of minutes after I read on a local information board that I should be looking for them).

To be continued.

Hi,

I'm trying to find information about good birding sites in the vicinity of Pardubice (I'll be there for a conference this summer and will have a day to explore the area). The Bohdanec nature reserve looks promising, as does Kunetice castle and the bike trail along the Lahe river. Have you birded this area at all? Any specific sites I should visit or species to look out for? Any info much appreciated!!

N

Hi,

I'm trying to find information about good birding sites in the vicinity of Pardubice (I'll be there for a conference this summer and will have a day to explore the area). The Bohdanec nature reserve looks promising, as does Kunetice castle and the bike trail along the Lahe river. Have you birded this area at all? Any specific sites I should visit or species to look out for? Any info much appreciated!!

N

Sorry that I never got to write part II, there is always somethign in the way. It's probably too late to respond to this question, but for future generations: the Bohdanecsky rybnik reserve is the definitive highlight of Eastern Bohemia, mainly in spring and early summer (but please note that entry is only permitted on the marked trail on the peninsula that starts from the village, not to most other sides of the pond). There is a large Grey Heron colony and an unprecendent number of Savi's warblers in breeding season. During migration, the pond is an important stop to Little Gulls and the likes.

Hi,

I'm going to visit Prague next week and I'm searching information about birding in that area. I found this thread and that's maybe the best list of the birding areas I managed to found! But that list is written many years ago so...

I will be in Prague for just five whole days and it is basically not a birding trip. So I would be happy to have some information about where to go birding in such a short time. I have managed to found information about Prague parks, the river Vltava etc. and I will check these sites. But I was thinking about one daytrip to some other town also, maybe by train. Is that Vrbenské rybníky natural reserve worth going like that? How possible it is to see something interesting there at this time of the year? How common are the spoonbills there etc? And what about the nesting avocets in Vyšatov fish pond? I was thinking about taking a train to České Budějovice and rent a bike and spend a day exploring these fishponds and countryside. But is it worth spending a day like that? Does anyone know? Or if there are better or easier places somewhere, please tell me. :)

Hi,

I'm going to visit Prague next week and I'm searching information about birding in that area. I found this thread and that's maybe the best list of the birding areas I managed to found! But that list is written many years ago so...

I will be in Prague for just five whole days and it is basically not a birding trip. So I would be happy to have some information about where to go birding in such a short time. I have managed to found information about Prague parks, the river Vltava etc. and I will check these sites. But I was thinking about one daytrip to some other town also, maybe by train. Is that Vrbenské rybníky natural reserve worth going like that? How possible it is to see something interesting there at this time of the year? How common are the spoonbills there etc? And what about the nesting avocets in Vyšatov fish pond? I was thinking about taking a train to České Budějovice and rent a bike and spend a day exploring these fishponds and countryside. But is it worth spending a day like that? Does anyone know? Or if there are better or easier places somewhere, please tell me. :)

Hi! Yeah, I was thinking about re-doing this whole thing. It's both slightly naive (because I was really just beginning back then) and outdated. But I never got around to it (and now I kinda moved to Poland anyway).

I will try to respond to the questions you have - I hope I am not too late ... We have this server www.birds.cz/avif/obs.php where you can check current sightings, but it's in Czech (you can search using latin names though). It confirms that the Spoonbills are still present in Vrbenské rybníky - if that's the case, they are usually very easy to see (on the island in the northeast pond), but they might be wandering around at times. As far as i know, the Avocets no longer nest at Vyšatov, sadly. There were some Common Terns and Black-winged Stilts this year, but it might be late for them (there are recent sightings of Stilts at Novohaklovský rybník though, even closer to Vrbenské rybníky).

In general, mid-July is when most places kinda die out, birds disperse - it really depends on the year though, in wet years, it's better, the last couple of years have been rather dry, so it should be rather worse. In any case, the bike trip idea is solid, if you visit Vrbenské rybníky and then continue further west, it should be good. There are even probably still the Cattle Egrets (a huge rarity in Czech Republic) around Čejkovice, they are usually in the meadows northeast of the dam of Vyšatov (across the road). I still consider the area NW from České Budějovice to be one of the best in the country.

If you don't want to go that far, you should definitely check out Slatina, a pond in Dubeč, in eastern part of Prague. I am not sure if the booming Bittern is still active, but in general, this is now the best spot in Prague to try your luck.

There is more interesting stuff around Prague though, there are even Bee-eaters (but I don't know any nesting site actually), there are accessible Corn Bunting and Barred Warbler sites in Kopeč and Milovice (look at satelite images, it's quite clear). Kopeč last year had a very loud Corn Crake and common Quail, Bee-waters fly over there sometimes and Orioles are easily seen, Milovice is rumoured to have Ortolan Buntings, but the exact location is kept secret (at least from me) and also there is now a "riding ground" for off-road vehicles, so the access is tricky.

If you are interested in some other species in particular, hit me up with a message.

Allright, the trip is done. Thank you for your information, opisska! I loved Prague and there was so much to see (and quite hot weather for me) so I didn't do so much birding that I had planned, eventually. I didn't go outside Prague for birding because it turned out that it takes about 2,5 hours to České Budějovice by train and of course the same back. Next time I will take one hotel night there so I'll have time to check these sites!

But, given that I didn't do much birding, I'm quite satisfied with the bird observations I did there. I managed to see 57 species of birds on that trip (five whole days of which I was shopping or drinking most of the time :D ). I got three lifers; Marsh Tit, Green Woodpecker and Middle Spotted Woodpecker.

I visited the Petrin Hill which was a great place. I saw both of the above mentioned woodpeckers there, and especially the Middle Spotted was kind of a surprise. I saw it closely, a very beautiful adult one! There were also many Nuthatchs, which are kind of rare here where I live (Finland). They were four individuals on the same tree at best. There were also a Buzzard, Long-Tailed Tits and some Treecreeper (I didn't see it so well that I could have managed to identify the species).

The other place where I used a half day was Divoká Šárka. I saw the Marsh Tit there, and in addition to that there were e.g. Grey Wagtails and Red-backed Shrike. And apart from birds, I saw many Swallowtails, which I have never seen before. And I have to say that this place was very very beautiful and very easy to find by tram. I must recommend that park to everyone who travels to Prague, absolutely! I think that the place would be even better in springtime when the birds are actively still singing. Now it was relatively quiet there, only Wrens, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs were quite active (and not only there, it seemed that there were Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps everywhere in Prague).

And other bird observations in Prague... I walked the shores of river Vltava near the zoo, there were some Grey Herons and Great Cormorants. Not any rare herons there. In the city centre (near the Charles Bridge) there were always a lot of Mute Swans, I have never seen so much of them in a same place. There were one Tufted Duck among them every day, and some Moorhens with their chicks. Moorhen is not so common here in Finland and I seldom see it because they tend to be very hiding, so it was nice to see them so closely.

Of the other interesting species which I found I have to mention the Kestrels. I saw them every day on town, they really had their nests in the buildings. Actually it was very different and beautiful to sit on some terrace drinking beer when the Kestrels fly above, because here in Finland they only live in fields on countryside.
And I also saw Peregrine twice. One was sitting on a pipe somewhere near the zoo and I saw one hunting near the Old Town Square one day. Wonderful sight!

In addition to Prague we also went to Kutná Hora. There weren't any special birds actually, although I saw the only Serin of my trip there. It was singing in a tree near some terrace where we stopped for drinks. And I saw three individuals of birds of pray from the window of the train. I think at least two of them were some Harriers, Marsh Harriers maybe. But I didn't think that there are so much birds of prey in that country! If I only had had time to walk in the countryside it would have been possible to see almost anything.

But all in all, I had a good trip! :)

Last edited:
Thanks viidakkoveitsi and Jan, some great information! My Son is planning to have his Stag Weekend in Prague next June (sincere apologies Jan if these events are a problem in your beautiful city!) so I will be looking to get some birding in!

Chris

Nice to hear that you enjoyed Prague! I have never seen Middle Spotted on Petřín, even though I have been there hundreds of times (I do part-time work at the Observatory).

Both the Moorhens and the Mute Swans are somewhat of a Prague speciality - usually you have a pair of swans on a pond, but in Prague, people feed them a lot and they tend to congregate there a lot. It's even more dramatic in winter, there are hundreds of them wintering along the river. The Moorhens of Prague are also unusual, generally it's a very seclusive species, but in Prague, they have lost all that, not only on the river, but on smaller ponds and even in the ZOO (uncaged).

The Harriers were almost certainly Marsh, that's by far the most numerous harrier in the country - and I usually see a couple when taking that train :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back