• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine Falcon Query (1 Viewer)

Can someone enlighten me - a beginner - on how rare the Peregrine is in Hertfordshire. We had one visit our garden early Christmas morning and being unfamiliar with birds of prey had to look it up in a bird book. All our usual garden birds were keeping well away and did not return until the next day.

I am sure we have had some kind of predator before as on a couple of occasions over a two year span we had found large quantities of feathers from what I suspect were collared doves (regular visitors to us). Earlier we had assumed it was a cat, but now wondering.

Our bird book seemed to indicate that Herts is a less common area, but was rather vague.

Hi Phil,
I responded with some detail on your 'hello' thread.
Peregrine are seen in and around Herts, although Beds does a bit better... they are certainly scarce. I still strongly think your bird was a Sparrowhawk... did it have very dark/black patches under the eyes? If not, then Sparrowhawk for sure.
cheers,
Andy

Thanks all, I have been following up with the advice and I am fairly sure now you are right. What confused me at first was when I looked at some sparrowhawk photos they seemed to have slightly different markings. That turned out to be simply that many photos were of males. I am told the females are bigger (and this was big) and the markings are definitely like my picture.

The very striking V marking on the chest was a little misleading as many photo's I saw were devoid of that.

Ah well, I am new and hope to get better with time.

I also need to figure out the knack of getting better focussing - Winter light makes it harder but also birds in trees with branches sillouetted against a brighter sky can be challenging. Again as I am a novice, I am having to learn fast. Especially when the birds are not very cooperative allowing novices like me plenty of time to prepare.

Thanks or all your help and advice - appreciate it!

I guess I'll have to go seeking a real Peregrine now.

Phil

What kind of camera are you using? Try using only a single AF field. This should help with focussing on just the bird and not the busy background.

We were all novices at one time Phil.You shall have great pleasure in identifying birds for yourself,as your knowledge expands and thats when the fun,really starts.:t:

Hi Phil, i used to live in Markyate and would have loved to see a Peregrine round there :) Have moved a bit further north, to Northamptonshire, and have resident Peregrines where i am that have been here for about 5 years, and bred every year too :) is a shame i cant guarantee when they are here they seem to disappear for a few days at a time and then come back, maybe its the Luton/Dunstable sighting ?

Heres one from last year :)

Attachments

• 0425-165840%7E0.jpg
    0425-165840%7E0.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back