• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Places around Derby (1 Viewer)

markpie

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just began uni at Derby, just wondered if there are any good birding places nearby that i can get to relatively easily, allso if getting the train anywhere is worthwhile. I cant drive unfortunately. Any help would be great.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,
Good luck with the uni course. Still keep an eye out for Stortford birding and all the usual sites on our website.
Not familiar with Derby area apart from a few cricket grounds that I have played on so can't help with your question but certainly nearer to good northerly sites than back at home. Good train connections there, too. Sure a few BF members will help out. Also try www.birdingpal.org as there may be some locals there that can offer advice.
Cheers and have a good term,
Jono

Mark,

Check out http://www.derbyshireos.org.uk/

I grew up in Derby, travelling without your own vehicle isn't easy, however, if you are near the train station then you can get to Willington Gravel Pits easily. From the train station it is just a 300m walk along the main road, go under the rail-bridge towards Repton, walk down the dead-end lane on the right just before the river Trent, can't miss it. The pits on the left are private fishing pits, the ones on the right have viewing platforms and is being re-created by Derbyshire Wildlife Trust.
Some of my highlights from the pits include Pallid Swift, Bonaparte's Gull, Wryneck, Kentish Plover, Temminck's Stint, White Stork, regular Garganey, Pec Sand, Marsh Harriers, Med Gull, a flock of 158 Black-tailed Godwits then the odd Little Stint, Curlew Sand, wintering Jack Snipe and Water Pipit etc. Also first Derbys record of Small Red-eyed Damselfly, good site for dragons.
Last few years haven't been great but it could get better if DWT do the right things. As Redhank, Common Sand, LRP and Yellow Wagtails used to breed.

There are also regular Trent Buses that pass through Willington on the way to Burton. Carsington Reservoir (always stacks of waterbirds, few good birds, esp gulls) is reachable by bus, so would be good for a weekend visit (or weekday if your a student ;-) ).
Other sites that require your own transport include Foremark Reservoir (not great, but good for gulls in winter), Ogston Reservoir (winter gull roost as good as anywhere in UK), Shardlow Gravel Pits (Ortolan Bunting, Tawny Pipit, Arctic Skua, loads of waders, careful of access, Sunday pm only).

If I were you I would stick to the nightlife - attempted Derbyshire birding for 17 years with little success!

James

Thanks guys! Will check out the pits at the weekend. Jono, of course I'll keep checking bird news back home, though I bet anything a mega turns up just to annoy me!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back