• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please help with these from Port Elizabeth South Africa # 2 (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help with these all taken in and around Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Attachments

• 105A6340 day 6.jpg
    105A6340 day 6.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 105A6408 day 7.jpg
    105A6408 day 7.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 105A6437 day 7.jpg
    105A6437 day 7.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 105A6565 day 7.jpg
    105A6565 day 7.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 59
Hello Deb,
I can only ID the second bird: its an Egyptian Goose. Please note unique colouration including a dark mask around the eye.

I am very confident, that there is no other similar bird anywhere in the world.

I haven't seen Fiscal Flycatcher in life, but I would say the shoulder markings are similar to the bird in pic 3 from a different angle. Also the breast and belly coloration looks identical. There is perhaps an effect happening because of the angle of the head in pic 4. Bird looks to be carrying nesting material :)

I haven't seen Fiscal Flycatcher in life, but I would say the shoulder markings are similar to the bird in pic 3 from a different angle. Also the breast and belly coloration looks identical. There is perhaps an effect happening because of the angle of the head in pic 4. Bird looks to be carrying nesting material :)
Well I've seen lots. The pattern on the shoulder is unusual. Puffback has similar coloration in the areas we can see.

But if the eye really is black then it must be fiscal flycatcher.

Well yes—I don't think it's an artefact. Compare colour with OP pic 3. I think probably best guess is coalescing around slightly unusual female fiscal flycatcher.
Size is what confused me, the size of the branch it’s perching on is quite thick. So I’m assuming the bird is at least small shrike size. Also it’s bill looks shrikish to me, seems far to thick to be of a flycatcher. It’s also rather long. I don’t really see the grey on its head and for a female I would expect a lighter colour on its darker feathers. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it was the flycatcher after all, looking at it more makes it seem more fiscal.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back