• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover USA SW Alaska (1 Viewer)

#1: You seem to be using an old field guide. Lesser Golden-Plover is now considered to be two species, Pacific Golden-Plover and American Golden-Plover.

#2: Your identification is correct. However, that species is known as Black-bellied Plover in this continent.

My guess is that it's not a painting, but a photograph made to look like one via one of the many special effects filters available for Photoshop-type editing programs.

Plover

The image was just photo taken at over 250 yards that was heavily cropped. Nothing done intentionally just a natural ability to distort.
Thank all of you for the ID help. I have never seen any of these here before so maybe the next time I will be able to photograph one a little closer. In the Alaska bird book I have they remark that these birds do like a lot of other Alaskans at the beginning of winter and fly non stop to Hawaii.

The image was just photo taken at over 250 yards that was heavily cropped. Nothing done intentionally just a natural ability to distort.

Interesting that you ended up with such a striking effect. I'm curious about your equipment, BTW. For such excellent results at over 250 yds, it must have been something pretty serious!

Last edited:
My guess is that it's not a painting, but a photograph made to look like one via one of the many special effects filters available for Photoshop-type editing programs.

Good call.

Thank all of you for the ID help. I have never seen any of these here before so maybe the next time I will be able to photograph one a little closer. In the Alaska bird book I have they remark that these birds do like a lot of other Alaskans at the beginning of winter and fly non stop to Hawaii.

Very interesting picture.

Nothing done intentionally just a natural ability to distort.

Well, your natural ability to distort has resulted in a very interesting photograph. It looks remarkably like a painting.

It is too bad that all distorted photos don't look this good.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back