• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pls confirm, Summer Tanager? south Florida (1 Viewer)

Looks more like a Scarlet Tanager to me. Slightly greenish tones, dark wings and tail, shorter bill. When did you take this pic? Scarlet Tanager is just about unknown in North America this time of year

Andy

Looks more like a Scarlet Tanager to me. Slightly greenish tones, dark wings and tail, shorter bill. When did you take this pic? Scarlet Tanager is just about unknown in North America this time of year

Andy

I'd lean that way also. EXIF data indicate photo was taken October 21, 2011 btw.

Jim

2nd photo seems to show the 'black' wings better. Possibly a bird of the year and agree with the above that it's a Scarlet (not Summer) Tanager

Andy

There are individuals that winter in the southern states every year so it is not that unusual.

FYI: eBird has 6 records of Scarlet Tanager in the Eastern U.S. over the last 10 years for the Dec-Feb period. They are single records from the states of Missouri, Michigan, New York, Pennsylvania, Louisiana, and Florida. There are 5 records from the Western U.S. over the same period.

There are about 10 times more records of Western Tanager for that period in both East and West. So Scarlet Tanager records at this time of year are clearly quite unusual, though they certainly have occurred.

Jim

Last edited:
There are individuals that winter in the southern states every year so it is not that unusual.

I'm not so sure. Bill Pranty stated a few years ago on the Tropical Audubon message board that:

"Scarlet Tanager, which would provide the first verifiable evidence of this species anywhere in Florida during the winter months"

...for a bird that was inconclusive. Summer Tanager, on the other hand, is a regular winter visitor to the southern tip of the state in the winter months with small numbers found annually in Miami-Dade county.

In any case, the bird in the photo is a Scarlet Tanager, and the time of year the photo was taken matches perfectly with the migration period for this species in southern Florida.

Carlos

Readers are urged to report new reports and any unusual dates or occurrences to the Curator of Birds, Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainesville, Florida 32611.

SCARLET TANAGER—Uncommon fall transient. 11 Sep-1 Nov. Occasional in spring. 11 Apr-1 May.

Well within the time frame of the photo.

Readers are urged to report new reports and any unusual dates or occurrences to the Curator of Birds, Florida Museum of Natural History, Gainesville, Florida 32611.

SCARLET TANAGER—Uncommon fall transient. 11 Sep-1 Nov. Occasional in spring. 11 Apr-1 May.

Well within the time frame of the photo.

Yes, of course. We all agree Scarlet Tanagers are expected in Florida at the time the photo was taken--October. But Kratter in post 3 said they are almost unheard of at this time of year. And he posted that before the date of the photo was known, so it's a reference to December 8, the date of his post. Think Kratter's statement, though perhaps a slight exaggeration, is largely accurate. I don't believe the statement in post 9 is accurate, because it would be quite unusual to see a Scarlet Tanager in the U.S. in December.

Jim

Not true!
Observations of rare and unusual species or individuals outside the usual range of occurrence should be sent to the Florida Ornithological Society's Bird Observation Committee (http://www.fosbirds.org/content/submit-observation) , or if it is a review species (http://www.fosbirds.org/official-florida-state-bird-list), sent to the FOS Records Committee (http://www.fosbirds.org/content/fos-bird-records-species-documentation). Don't send them to the curator of birds at the FLMNH, unless it is a fossil. Sending observations to the curator of the FOSRC ended with the retirement of Oliver Austin in the 1970s!

Andy Kratter
Collections Manager FLMNH
past Secretary FOSRC

Yes, of course. We all agree Scarlet Tanagers are expected in Florida at the time the photo was taken--October. But Kratter in post 3 said they are almost unheard of at this time of year. And he posted that before the date of the photo was known, so it's a reference to December 8, the date of his post. Think Kratter's statement, though perhaps a slight exaggeration, is largely accurate. I don't believe the statement in post 9 is accurate, because it would be quite unusual to see a Scarlet Tanager in the U.S. in December.

Jim

I stand corrected and duly noted.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back