• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanager-like bird with red chin in Carara National Park (Costa Rica) (1 Viewer)

allieh

United States
Today we saw several (at least 5) yellowish tanager-like birds with distinct red chins in Carara National Park in Costa Rica. Other tanagers identified include white-shouldered tanager, bay-headed tanager, and a likely summer tanager (didn't get a great look before it flew away, but it looked like a male summer tanager). Initially we thought these might be female white-shouldered tanagers, but I cannot find any indication of female white-shouldereds having red chins. Any ideas? DSCN9850.JPGDSCN9851.JPG

Last edited:
Doesn't quite match this bird, but it could be a Scarlet-rumped Tanager (Cherrie's). They are common through Carara NP and the female have red in the chest area (but not on the throat itself which is confusing).

However, I can guarantee it is not a Summer Tanager, these guys are not true Tanagers (Thraupidae) and they would not have a blueish bill, which this bird has.

Flame-coloured, not sure they're in the lowland, Pacific though??
Not flame-coloured. The break indicates this is a Ramphocelus, and the dark tip and greyish pale on upper and lower mandibles suggest it is Cherrie's. Vallely and Dyer still have this split but most lump it under scarlet-rumped tanager of course.

Yes but given the possibilities, this (Cherrie's) is the most likely for me. According to V & D, the only other Ramphocelus which comes close in distribution is crimson-collared: and it's not that. Besides, the ground colour is right and amongst other things.

I have no view. Other than that a red throat where there absolutely shouldn't be one is one hell of a thing to ignore.

Last edited:
Can the red throat be a result of pollen or fruit remains staining those feathers, similar to when we see hummingbirds with yellow throats?

The one thing that bothers me the most with Cherrie's is that they usually have darker wings than underside where this one is quite concolorous. Is the explanation for that a difference in juvenile plumage or are we really off track here?

Niels

I'll be honest it looks like a Euphonia to me. Female Elegant without the blue crown is the closest I can find. Hardly a confident identification, but might be worth looking into.

I'll be honest it looks like a Euphonia to me. Female Elegant without the blue crown is the closest I can find. Hardly a confident identification, but might be worth looking into.
I thought about Euphonia but thought the tail was a bit long for those.
Niels

But you can see it's Ramphocelus, right?
Hmm on a big screen the bill looks different. It looked as though the upper mandible was part dark and part pale. On a large monitor it seems all dark in one of the pictures. So perhaps Brian's right: female white-shouldered. Looks a bit like this, but with staining:

White-shouldered Tanager Macaulay Library ML351350741

I'm more used to these having grey or greyish heads. But apparently widespread form there doesn't have this.

Hmm on a big screen the bill looks different. It looked as though the upper mandible was part dark and part pale. On a large monitor it seems all dark in one of the pictures. So perhaps Brian's right: female white-shouldered. Looks a bit like this, but with staining:

White-shouldered Tanager Macaulay Library ML351350741

I'm more used to these having grey or greyish heads. But apparently widespread form there doesn't have this.
This is probably the best bet we have seen yet. The strange thing is that your image is from Carara (Pacific) where the field guide states this is a Caribbean side thing to lack grey in the head. The old Ridgely guide to Panama has the nearest Pacific side birds to have an olive head so maybe the CR guide I have exaggerate the difference between the two sides.

Niels

I think Scarlet-rumped Tanager can be pretty easily ruled out by virtue of the uniformity of the plumage (near as I can tell, all plumages show a good deal more contrast ie. greyish head, more dusky wings contrasting with greener underparts and mantle etc.). The small bill without the bulbous base also doesn't match Ramphocephalus, only the paler lower mandible does which is a trait shared by a couple other species. This bill pattern and uniform greenish plumage (including strong edging on all the wing feathers giving the wing a uniform green tinge) seem like a good match for female White-shouldered Tanager. The red throat is not a match for any typical plumage of the possible species so I would say the suggestion of pollen is as good as any.

Euphonias can be easily ruled out by the longer tail. Summer Tanager by the short primary projection, smaller bill etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back