• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket binocs recommendation (1 Viewer)

Getting the Nikons!

OK, it is done. First, in response to folks suggesting I should get a 32 instead, I've already got a couple of really nice ones, want something small.

Got the Nikon 8x20 LX from Amazon, $399, and paid an extra $3.99 for delivery tomorrow - it is worth the 4 bucks to not have to wait, and have them bumping around in trucks for a week.

I'll let you know what I think tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for all of your help.

John F
LV, NV

OK, it is done. First, in response to folks suggesting I should get a 32 instead, I've already got a couple of really nice ones, want something small.

Got the Nikon 8x20 LX from Amazon, $399, and paid an extra $3.99 for delivery tomorrow - it is worth the 4 bucks to not have to wait, and have them bumping around in trucks for a week.

I'll let you know what I think tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for all of your help.

John F
LV, NV

Good choice if i could get along with that format that would be the the one i would get! Bryce...

About the Opticron Traveller BGA Mg 6x32
Field 141m ......"satisfactory"
Eye relief 19mm ...."good"
HXW 98x118mm ..."outstanding"
Weight 367g ..."outstanding"
The image is surprisingly bright and is similar to that of Leupold Yosemite 6X30 porro binoculars. They are well made and are of high quality Japanese construction. They are small enough to take to the theatre without looking out of place. I put these binoculars in a plastic bag and they then fit in my coat pocket. These are the smallest and lightest binoculars with a bright image that I have used.

Have to concur with Dennis' finding on the Nikon 10x25 LX. It is the best of the lot in terms of pure optics. I have never liked the position of the focusing knob, but oh well, the view is simply outstanding.

John

The 10x25 Nikon LX is quite a bit better but the 8x20 is still good. Cameraland has demo Nikon 8x20 LX's which in my experience are like new for $299.00.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/nikon.pl?page=nikon7506

The 8x20 LX has the size (smaller) that I'm after. 1 oz. lighter, 3/4" shorter, and much bigger FOV (356' vs. 283') than the 10x25 LX.

If I wind up not being thrilled with them though, thanks for the CameraLand tip, they have a nice price on used (demo) Leica 8x20 Ultravid, $549. That will be the next one I try if the Nikon doesn't do it for me.

John F

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Leica Ultravids 8x20x for $400.00 on Ebay about a year ago. I was not impressed with them at all. Returned them to the guy for my money back.

The numbers on the 8x20 LX sound better but the view through the 10x25 LX is better because of the bigger 25mm aperture. 20mm just doesn't cut it. Order them both and compare them and send one back.

Last edited:
The numbers on the 8x20 LX sound better but the view through the 10x25 LX is better because of the bigger 25mm aperture. 20mm just doesn't cut it. Order them both and compare them and send one back.

My first pocket roof was a 10x25 because I thought the same, but I've not found they have any real advantages in practice, and I appreciate the smaller size of the 8x. It resolves better than my excellent eyes can detect, so there is no loss with respect to seeing detail in normal lighting in comparison to any other 8x. Another benefit of 8x in pocket-roofs is closer focus for butterflying, for which these sort of bins are excellent. Leica Ultravid focuses to under 6 feet.

--AP

I bought a pair of Leica Ultravids 8x20x for $400.00 on Ebay about a year ago. I was not impressed with them at all. Returned them to the guy for my money back.

They must have been defective in some way. It's the only possible explanation for your experience, because I've tested them and found them to be the best. :)
The Nikon are optically superb, but I don't like their ergonomics or styling.

--AP

About the Opticron Traveller BGA Mg 6x32
Field 141m ......"satisfactory"
Eye relief 19mm ...."good"
HXW 98x118mm ..."outstanding"
Weight 367g ..."outstanding"
Thanks for the info!

The image is surprisingly bright and is similar to that of Leupold Yosemite 6X30 porro binoculars.
I'm not sure what to make of that. The Yosemite are bottom-tier porro's, right?

They are well made and are of high quality Japanese construction. They are small enough to take to the theatre without looking out of place. I put these binoculars in a plastic bag and they then fit in my coat pocket. These are the smallest and lightest binoculars with a bright image that I have used.
I think I might like to take a look through them. Do you know of any Opticron dealers in continental Europe?

I do not consider my Leupold Yosemite 6x30 binoculars to be second rate. Obviously they are not "alpha" binoculars in price or build standard. However for their price they are optically exceptional. The 6x specification creates a good depth of field, a bright steady image and a large exit pupil. They have a colour neutral image. Porro binoculars usually have a cleaner image than equivalently priced roof prism models. Every single person I have lent or shown these binoculars to have been amazed by their image quality. Roof prism binoculars are usually slimline. waterproof, and have a user friendly shape but porros at any price range are optically superior.

I purchased my Opticron Travellers 6x32 because I wanted the smallest and lightest full= sized binoculars I could find in the U.K. because I am developing Parkinson's Disease and have difficulty holding higher magnification binoculars still.

I purchased my Opticron Travellers 6x32 because I wanted the smallest and lightest full= sized binoculars I could find in the U.K. because I am developing Parkinson's Disease and have difficulty holding higher magnification binoculars still.

Very sorry to hear about the Parkinson's. An old high school buddy of mine was diagnosed a few years ago, had to sell his Harley recently as he didn't feel safe riding any more.

Ah, the UPS truck, the Nikons are here...

I have the Nikon 10x25 lx's.... I compared them beside Leica and Swaros 8x20 and 10x25's about 5 years or so ago. To my eye the Nikons stood out only in being more color neutral than the Leicas, otherwise they were super sharp. The price and warrantee made the difference. I am continually impressed with the view in the Nikons.

The good: ..Very sharp, quite a flat field of view, color, surprisingly bright all things considered. Have proven themselves very durable. They never babied and are quite beat up.... Work like new-ish.

The bad: ... FOV is tight, Focus nob is small and in an odd place, I wish it was rubber armored, no objective covers. The hinges are getting a touch loose.

Over all i really like them and haven't seen anything better in there class.

Bill

Ah, the UPS truck, the Nikons are here...

Ok review time.....what do you think?

Also sorry to hear about the Parkinson's

Last edited:
I do not consider my Leupold Yosemite 6x30 binoculars to be second rate. Obviously they are not "alpha" binoculars in price or build standard. However for their price they are optically exceptional. The 6x specification creates a good depth of field, a bright steady image and a large exit pupil. They have a colour neutral image. Porro binoculars usually have a cleaner image than equivalently priced roof prism models. Every single person I have lent or shown these binoculars to have been amazed by their image quality. Roof prism binoculars are usually slimline. waterproof, and have a user friendly shape but porros at any price range are optically superior.

I know how you feel. I to was diagnost with Parkinsonians disease as well as Essential Tremors. I couldn't hold any binocular steady or anything else for that matter. I have had two DBS surgeries this last year and it has made a world of difference! Didn't think i would ever use a binocular again! But, thanks to modern medicine i'am now able to lead a for the most part, functional life! I wish you well, Bryce...

They are here, I've been using them

Opened up the box, the Nikon box is impressively tiny - 3" x 4" x 6". The leather case is 2" x 3" x 5". The binocs, when adjusted for my IP distance and with the eyecups all the way extended (no glasses) measure 2" x 3.5" , 4 1/8". Folded up and with eyecups screwed in, 1 3/4" x 2 1/2" x 3 3/4". They meet my expectations for size. I'll keep them in a sandwich ziplock and they fit nicely in either a front pocket, or like a wallet in a back pocket.

Mechanically they feel fine - the focus knob is positioned in the front like my Swaro 8x30 SLC, so I'm very used to that and presents no problem at all. The diopter knob is small but well labeled, and seems perfectly accurate, in fact identical to what I have my 2 Swaros adjusted to, -.75. That is impressive. No click or locking of the diopter though, but not a big deal.

Brock will be glad to know that the smoothness of the focus knob, and pressure required in both directions, is superior to my horribly expensive SV's (which I still love BTW.)

Optically, I'm afraid they might make people feel a little odd about the performance of their $2k+ alpha mid to full size 8x glasses. They are extremely sharp in the center, and almost as sharp at the edges. In bright sunlight with contrasty horizontal or vertical edges, the CA is non existent - I'd like to know how they do that. In that regard they seem superior to my SLC's and maybe nearly as good as my Swaro 10x32 SV's. The field is nearly as flat as the alphas advertising 'field flattener' lenses (not mentioning any names.) No rolling ball if that matters, Brock. Less line distortion than the SLC's, but slightly more than the SV's.

Contrasty enough, but they are slightly less contrasty than either the SLC's or the SV's. Color tint is fine - pretty darn neutral in fact. Slightly cooler than the SLC's.

The physical layout is where they fall down a bit, but hey, I'm not likely to be spending hours at a time with them like I do with the open bridge SV's.

At less than half the weight of the SV's, they still feel substantial for their size. They certainly don't feel unbreakable though, but the no-fault warranty makes me feel better about that.

I'll be keeping them. Optically they are a bit of a paradox for the tiny size.

------------pause-----------

Just did some comparison in shadows, even on a full sunlight day, the sharpness, color, and contrast do suffer a lot compared to the larger glasses, and in fact that is where you can really tell you are using a small chunk of glass. The SV's resolve perfectly in shadows, the SLC's nearly perfectly, and the LX's, well, not so much. That is were the compromise lies, but it is a compromise I'm perfectly willing to live with.

In the camera world, they say the best camera is the one you have with you. I'll be pretty likely to have the LX with me, even for my evening walk. It is really quite impressive.

John F

Last edited:
Excellent review. Now I don't feel crazy. In good conditions, the sharpness sometimes looks unreal for a 20mm. Especially for the price. I didn't dare compare it to larger and more expensive glass as you did in fear of banishment.

The focus is fast and you have to just breathe on it it get the good image to turn into a razor one.

The only two areas where I get different results is the color and distortion. To me the image is very yellow, but pleasent. I also see some minor rolling ball which doesn't bother me.

Glad you are happy with them!

Excellent review. Now I don't feel crazy. In good conditions, the sharpness sometimes looks unreal for a 20mm. Especially for the price. I didn't dare compare it to larger and more expensive glass as you did in fear of banishment.

The focus is fast and you have to just breathe on it it get the good image to turn into a razor one.

The only two areas where I get different results is the color and distortion. To me the image is very yellow, but pleasent. I also see some minor rolling ball which doesn't bother me.

Glad you are happy with them!

Looking at them now closer to sunset, still no overly warm tint. Keep in mind I seem to be pretty much immune to RB even on the SV's, so I'm sure others (Brock?) could find it.

I think I got a good glass, and will keep them for sure. One thing I found a little odd is the serial number: B2145AY. On the registration card they are just 2145 - not many copies made, eh? How long have these been out?

John F

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back