• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro or ? (4 Viewers)

Did you see that last post Dennis?

Has the glue been improved on the new EII? Inquiring minds want to know!

A state of the art EII! By Golly!

Bob

Did you see that last post Dennis?

Has the glue been improved on the new EII? Inquiring minds want to know!

A state of the art EII! By Golly!

Bob

I see no signs of pealing on either of my EII's. Of course they are still pretty new. Both of mine are the new improved model with the black bodies and improved glue though. I really think if you take care of them pealing shouldn't be a problem. It is neither super hot or humid in Colorado either.

Last edited:
Bob, Much to my surprise, I think I may have finally said something "meaningful"! :)

When it comes to the EII vs. SE, I'm torn between two lovers, feelin' like a fool, Lovin' both of you is breakin' all the rules....

Oh, oh, I'm getting "to [sic] esoteric" again. Let me simplify: Tarzan can no make up mind. Veronica or Betty?

And now back to my usual meaningless banter: The NY YANKEES came from behind 3-0 to take Game 1 of the Division Series 6-4! (I had my Yankee cap on the entire game, only threw it once when Girardi left Sabathia in after he walked a Twin 4-0 to tie up the bases and then walked the next guy to tie up the game).

Better stop before I start sleep writing like Dennis. :)

B.

P.S. I will PM you to find out how to rebind the rubber armoring on the EII. Mine is coming Toulouse.

TRANSLATION :
I can't decide if I like the SE or the EII better. I will send you a PM on how to reglue the rubber armoring on the EII since mine is loose.

I see no signs of pealing on either of my EII's. Of course they are still pretty new. I really think if you take care of them pealing shouldn't be a problem.

Au contraire mon fraire. Unless of course, by "take care of them" you mean never taking them out in hot, humid weather.

I rarely take them farther than my well shaded backyard, though today we did take a trip to the park since it was cool and the sun exposure was only SP 15. Only the second time they've been to the park. They enjoyed watching me feed apples to the horses, though I kept them away from the juicy slobber and spittle.

There's a clearing on the far side of the park, and as I gazed out on the field and the mountain ridge above, I saw a turkey vulture circling at a good distance. I might have missed him with a narrower field bin. The 8.8* FOV is not recommended for agoraphobics.

Fireform, How all your EII's armoring managed to stay intact in MIAMI is a mystery wrapped in an enema.

Unless you only take them out in the afternoon when the humidity drops precipitously?

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Miami

The armoring would never survive Tallahassee, that's for certain. I lived in Cocoa Beach one summer, which had a nice sea breeze, but we spent a week in Tallahassee and I practically lived on Dristan. The humidity was off the charts, and there was no breeze to blow away the mold and pollen.

David, the two 8x EIIs and two 10x EIIs I owned all had gray metal frames (see attached photo).

Since you have the black body radiation model, you won't have to "face the music" of the bubbling sound of your armoring peeling off. Or at least that's what Nikon claims.

Brock

Attachments

• 8x30E2w_Bushwackers.jpg
    8x30E2w_Bushwackers.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
The 8x30 Habicht is a very appealing binocular. It shares the same short eye relief with the 8x30 Nikon E2 and has less field of view (408' vs 468') but the quality of view is superb. It is a good deal more expensive, though, and about as hard as its Japanese competitor.

Here's an old thread on Bird Forum on the 8x30 Habicht. It sounds like the consensus is that the SE is a better binocular although the Habicht did garner quite a bit of praise. Henry Link doesn't seem to like them especially their design very much saying it is an old design.

"henry linkSaturday 25th June 2005, 06:45
These are very old designs. Except for the modern coatings they could have been made in the 1920's or earlier. The 7x42 uses a simple 3-element Kellner eyepiece, and has a very narrow 6.5 degree field. The 8x30 and 10x40 have short 12mm eye relief. They use a more sophisticated 6-element Erfle eyepiece which is fine in the center and pretty good at the edge, but it's not in the same class with the flat field eyepiece in the Nikon SE. IMO the eyecups on the unarmored versions are very uncomfortable, small and very stiff. They are so stiff that when they are rolled down for eyeglasses they have an unpleasant way of violently and unpredictably popping back out in your face. They've been like that for 20 years. The eyecups on the armored versions are much better. If they are really out of production these bins seem to me to be of most interest to collectors as the last examples of a type of binocular they just don't make anymore.

And another negative opinion:

That said, they do not compare to Nikon SE, which is sharper and which has almost no chromatic aberration. The Habicht porro has terrible chromatic aberration. The 7x42 Habicht has an extremely narrow field of view for a 7x bin. All of the Habicht porros have very tight focusing mechanisms, making them practically unusable in cold weather.

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-30398.html

Last edited:
Here's an old thread on Bird Forum on the 8x30 Habicht. It sounds like the consensus is that the SE is a better binocular although the Habicht did garner quite a bit of praise. Henry Link doesn't seem to like them especially their design very much saying it is an old design.

These are very old designs. Except for the modern coatings they could have been made in the 1920's or earlier. The 7x42 uses a simple 3-element Kellner eyepiece, and has a very narrow 6.5 degree field. The 8x30 and 10x40 have short 12mm eye relief. They use a more sophisticated 6-element Erfle eyepiece which is fine in the center and pretty good at the edge, but it's not in the same class with the flat field eyepiece in the Nikon SE. IMO the eyecups on the unarmored versions are very uncomfortable, small and very stiff. They are so stiff that when they are rolled down for eyeglasses they have an unpleasant way of violently and unpredictably popping back out in your face. They've been like that for 20 years. The eyecups on the armored versions are much better. If they are really out of production these bins seem to me to be of most interest to collectors as the last examples of a type of binocular they just don't make anymore.

That said, they do not compare to Nikon SE, which is sharper and which has almost no chromatic aberration. The Habicht porro has terrible chromatic aberration. The 7x42 Habicht has an extremely narrow field of view for a 7x bin. All of the Habicht porros have very tight focusing mechanisms, making them practically unusable in cold weather.

It's looks like all this praise of the EII on Bird Forum has driven the price up. Check this ad out on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-10X35-Eii...459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33613755ab

My opinion is, get either SE or EII binocular for birding :king: then slowly add up other binoculars to your collection ;)

My favorite binocular now is 8x32 SE and 8x42 EDG (unfortunately belongs to Nikon Malaysia 8-P) I would like to try the 8x32 EDG next time once they have the demo unit here o:)

I'm thinking of buying Zeiss Dialyt too :smoke:

My opinion is, get either SE or EII binocular for birding :king: then slowly add up other binoculars to your collection ;)

My favorite binocular now is 8x32 SE and 8x42 EDG (unfortunately belongs to Nikon Malaysia 8-P) I would like to try the 8x32 EDG next time once they have the demo unit here o:)

I'm thinking of buying Zeiss Dialyt too :smoke:

If you don't bird in the rain or in a humid climate. If not start with a Zeiss 8x32 FL or maybe the 8x32 EDG if you can still get one for $899.00. There was one on E-bay for that not too long ago.

Hello,

I must say my experience with the last SE 10x42 and 8x32 vs. last Habicht 10x4 WGA and 8x30 WA is exactly the opposite of Henry Link`s! My example of the SH 10x40 has a much better CA correction than the SE I tried. MUCH BETTER!! And has much more confortable view than the SE. The hard focusing in cold weather is true. But is also present in the SE. The build quality and sealing is much better in the Habicht. I agree about the 7x40. I don`t like it because of the narrow field of view. But apart from that, is very good binocular in all other aspects. That`s my experience with modern examples of those binoculars. y And I don`t think they are collectors items. They are very modern binoculars!! May be better for hunting or general use than for birding. May be...And designed and built to last forever. And some more. As I said, I have also a Zeiss Victory FL 10x42. I feel as confortable with either of them....And for all who know the FL it is something...

Regards

PHA

If you don't bird in the rain or in a humid climate. If not start with a Zeiss 8x32 FL or maybe the 8x32 EDG if you can still get one for $899.00. There was one on E-bay for that not too long ago.

Horukuru seems to be doing fine with his SE, and it's about as humid and rainy as it gets where he lives:

"Borneo has an equatorial climate that gives it high humidity, hot weather and rainfall throughout the year. Temperatures during the day range between 30°C - 35°C (= 86°F-95°F) during the day and 26°C - 29°C at night.

Sabah, which is the northern tip of Borneo, generally has heavier rainfall..."

Source: http://www.borneo-hotels.com/info/weather.htm

Horuku either takes very good care of his SE or uses them in Zip Lock baggies. :)

B.

Horukuru seems to be doing fine with his SE, and it's about as humid and rainy as it gets where he lives:

"Borneo has an equatorial climate that gives it high humidity, hot weather and rainfall throughout the year. Temperatures during the day range between 30°C - 35°C (= 86°F-95°F) during the day and 26°C - 29°C at night.

Sabah, which is the northern tip of Borneo, generally has heavier rainfall..."

Source: http://www.borneo-hotels.com/info/weather.htm

Horuku either takes very good care of his SE or uses them in Zip Lock baggies. :)

B.

Heheheh so far so good Brock I like the SE very much :king:

Heheheh so far so good Brock I like the SE very much :king:

Horukuru,

You are Nikon's guinea pig (or "Borneo Boar" :)! If the SE can survive in Sabah, no-one need issue warnings about using them in hot, humid climates again.

OTOH, the gray metal EII's armoring is a goner in in the tropics (except apparently in Miami during the afternoon :). So if you own an gray EII, better keep the Super Glue handy.

I'd like to buy one of the newer "black body" sample as a back up to my present sample to see if the armoring holds up better and if they made any improvements to the coatings or glass (not that mine are lacking, they views are fabuloso, but the color bias is a bit "warmer" than my SE).

B'nR

Nice photo!!!:t:http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=287448&d=1286509698

Au contraire mon fraire. Unless of course, by "take care of them" you mean never taking them out in hot, humid weather.

I rarely take them farther than my well shaded backyard, though today we did take a trip to the park since it was cool and the sun exposure was only SP 15. Only the second time they've been to the park. They enjoyed watching me feed apples to the horses, though I kept them away from the juicy slobber and spittle.

There's a clearing on the far side of the park, and as I gazed out on the field and the mountain ridge above, I saw a turkey vulture circling at a good distance. I might have missed him with a narrower field bin. The 8.8* FOV is not recommended for agoraphobics.

Fireform, How all your EII's armoring managed to stay intact in MIAMI is a mystery wrapped in an enema.

Unless you only take them out in the afternoon when the humidity drops precipitously?

http://www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp?City=Miami

The armoring would never survive Tallahassee, that's for certain. I lived in Cocoa Beach one summer, which had a nice sea breeze, but we spent a week in Tallahassee and I practically lived on Dristan. The humidity was off the charts, and there was no breeze to blow away the mold and pollen.

David, the two 8x EIIs and two 10x EIIs I owned all had gray metal frames (see attached photo).

Since you have the black body radiation model, you won't have to "face the music" of the bubbling sound of your armoring peeling off. Or at least that's what Nikon claims.

Brock

Horukuru,

You are Nikon's guinea pig (or "Borneo Boar" :)! If the SE can survive in Sabah, no-one need issue warnings about using them in hot, humid climates again.

OTOH, the gray metal EII's armoring is a goner in in the tropics (except apparently in Miami during the afternoon :). So if you own an gray EII, better keep the Super Glue handy.

I'd like to buy one of the newer "black body" sample as a back up to my present sample to see if the armoring holds up better and if they made any improvements to the coatings or glass (not that mine are lacking, they views are fabuloso, but the color bias is a bit "warmer" than my SE).

B'nR

I always bring my 8x32 HG L as a backup bino on tours just in case and for the 8x32 SE, because it is not waterproof, let say it if gets wet, I dry it on room temperature and only keep in inside the case on my way back home and stored it inside the dry box.

The reason not to keep inside the case after day birding while on tours is to prevent growing fungus because I can't carry my 100 litres dry box ! Same concept applies to my camera lenses and etc.

So for me, non-waterproof Nikon SE is not a problem to use in the humid tropical forest kekekeke as long it is always dry after the rain :)

By the way, I'm at the airport now to Sandakan, the city of Orang Utan and Bornean Bristlehead for the Nikon and Borneo Bird Festival Roadshow. I will try again the 10x32 EII and compared it with my SE to see if I see the over contrast of the EII which I tried last July. If I don't see it, heheheh I might be buying the EII for my collection :p

Brock, when are you flying here ?

IMG00114-20101009-0615 horukuru.jpg :king:

Last edited:
I always bring my 8x32 HG L as a backup bino on tours just in case and for the 8x32 SE, because it is not waterproof, let say it if gets wet, I dry it on room temperature and only keep in inside the case on my way back home and stored it inside the dry box.

The reason not to keep inside the case after day birding while on tours is to prevent growing fungus because I can't carry my 100 litres dry box ! Same concept applies to my camera lenses and etc.

So for me, non-waterproof Nikon SE is not a problem to use in the humid tropical forest kekekeke as long it is always dry after the rain :)

By the way, I'm at the airport now to Sandakan, the city of Orang Utan and Bornean Bristlehead for the Nikon and Borneo Bird Festival Roadshow. I will try again the 10x32 EII and compared it with my SE to see if I see the over contrast of the EII which I tried last July. If I don't see it, heheheh I might be buying the EII for my collection :p

Brock, when are you flying here ?

View attachment 287586 :king:

Horukuru,

The City of Orang Utan sounds like something out of The Planet of the Apes!

In case the film never made it over to Sabah, here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcpRHuPjOI

Ah, I didn't realize that you had a 100 litres dry box as your secret weapon against the fungus among us!

Does it look like this?

http://forums.vr-zone.com/cameras-garage/222996-dry-cabinet-digi-cabi-100-liters-like-new-3yr-7mth-warranty.html

Seems like birding is big business in Borneo. Is tourism Borneo's main "industry"?

http://www.sabahtourism.com/sabah-malaysian-borneo/en/home/

Well, I just asked for a raise (hadn't had one in 10 years), and I was told by my editor if he gave me one, the publisher would probably want to get rid of me since I'm already being pay more than twice what he pays the other writers (two bags of peanuts instead of one).

So until I get my Ph.D. in Advanced Signal Processing (we use Omid's book as our text :) and then get a job after my post-doc, I won't be going farther than the Lost Creek Shoe Shop and Alpha Bins Store, and then only if Steve drives me since I'd probably take the wrong turn and get lost at the creek.

But thanks for the invite, Borneo sounds like "The Place to Be" for birding.

Brock

Last edited:

Judging by your photo, Brock, it seems I might have a gray one as well--I had thought the gun-metal finish was "black," but it guess it is not. BTW, our samples are only about 1000 apart.

As for Horu's SE, I would have thought it was obvious all this time that he was using them professionally in the very conditions under which many people think they'll fail! I can only imagine the Ecuadorian jungle would be similar.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back