• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porro or ? (2 Viewers)

Kevin,
I forgot you had just got the EII, and apologize for suggesting you were overdue for a new bino. I find the reports on the EII very interesting. That is a nice photograph. But, why does EII's the axle extend so far past the focus wheel? That looks like it might bump your nose. And, there appear to be flexible couplings going from the end the axle over to the eyepieces. What's going on here?
Ron

But, why does EII's the axle extend so far past the focus wheel? That looks like it might bump your nose. And, there appear to be flexible couplings going from the end the axle over to the eyepieces. What's going on here?
Ron

The focus wheel extends or retracts the axle (A) of which the hinge (B) for the focusing arms are attached, mimicking the primary hinges (C). This moves the eyepieces in and out to focus.

Though it may not look like it would be, the mechanism is surprisingly rigid, precise, and very smooth.

I have had no issue with interference with my nose.

Nice bins :t:

Attachments

• EII Focus.jpg
    EII Focus.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Horukuru,

The City of Orang Utan sounds like something out of The Planet of the Apes!

In case the film never made it over to Sabah, here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjcpRHuPjOI

Ah, I didn't realize that you had a 100 litres dry box as your secret weapon against the fungus among us!

Does it look like this?

http://forums.vr-zone.com/cameras-garage/222996-dry-cabinet-digi-cabi-100-liters-like-new-3yr-7mth-warranty.html

Seems like birding is big business in Borneo. Is tourism Borneo's main "industry"?

http://www.sabahtourism.com/sabah-malaysian-borneo/en/home/

Well, I just asked for a raise (hadn't had one in 10 years), and I was told by my editor if he gave me one, the publisher would probably want to get rid of me since I'm already being pay more than twice what he pays the other writers (two bags of peanuts instead of one).

So until I get my Ph.D. in Advanced Signal Processing (we use Omid's book as our text :) and then get a job after my post-doc, I won't be going farther than the Lost Creek Shoe Shop and Alpha Bins Store, and then only if Steve drives me since I'd probably take the wrong turn and get lost at the creek.

But thanks for the invite, Borneo sounds like "The Place to Be" for birding.

Brock

Hehehe yes Brock the Sabah Tourism Board is heavily promoting Sabah as one of the main destination for birding and wildlife tours in the country :king:

As for Horu's SE, I would have thought it was obvious all this time that he was using them professionally in the very conditions under which many people think they'll fail! I can only imagine the Ecuadorian jungle would be similar.

David

Yes should be similar with Ecuadorian jungle ;)

The focus wheel extends or retracts the axle (A) of which the hinge (B) for the focusing arms are attached, mimicking the primary hinges (C). This moves the eyepiece in and out to focus.

Though it may not look like it would be, the mechanism is surprisingly rigid, precise, and very smooth.

I have had no issue with interference with my nose.

Nice bins :t:

Nice picture! Kevin.

Kevin,
Thanks for the explanation and the second photo. Now, it looks obvious in the first photo. Just a bit of blindness on my part there. Very nice looking, minimal yes, but something about is is definitely modern and non-retro.
Ron

Ok, you guys are gonna think I'm nuts. I read and read and read and although I really REALLY want a porro binocular and good 3D I ended up ordering a set of Minox 8x33. I found 2 pair left and went for the deal. I will immediately begin saving for porro's though, lol. Thanks again everyone for everything you wrote and contributed. If I don't get the SE's I may try to save even more and go for the others mentioned ( $899? but can't remember the name). So far I really like the Minox and will write more over on the Minox thread. Neil at CameralandNY and FedEx were both great!

My biggest concerns and reasoning were:

Left over Japanese made Minox were extremely limited.
Winter is close here in Ohio and these will be out in cold and wet (snowing).
Close focus was a concern for first pair (and these things focus very close! Better than spec's state.)
$200.00 is substantial to me right now.
Need small enough to fit under coat and/or in pocket while walking in winter.
And I can't leave out that I spoke with numerous retailers and Neil at CameralandNY was very patient and helpful AND they did not have the SE's...

So, with that said I chose the Minox first and porro will be next. Now the weather proofness won't be quite so important which might open even more possibilities...lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back