• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pratincole in Tajikistan today...possible first national record? (1 Viewer)

PhilSteiner

Tajikistan
I photographed (or tried to photograph) this pratincole in Dushanbe, Tajikistan today...our expected pratincole is Collared Pratincole, with Black-winged also on the OSME and AviBase lists but not the BirdLife list or the eBird list. This bird, however, seems to be a Small Pratincole. While the photo quality is terrible, the wing pattern seems distinctive enough to rule out both Collared and Black-winged. Unfortunately although I waited around hoping to get some better photos, after its first couple of circuits of the sewage pond, I didn't see it again. As it would be a first national record, I wanted to run it by here before calling it for sure.

Attachments

• DSCN8111pratincole.JPG
    DSCN8111pratincole.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN8112pratincole.JPG
    DSCN8112pratincole.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN8114pratincole.JPG
    DSCN8114pratincole.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN8115pratincole.JPG
    DSCN8115pratincole.JPG