• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Providing water for birds in summer (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone 👋, this is my first post. I wondered if anyone might have advice about water sources for birds, particularly in the summer months? I live in an apartment block (not ground level) and have thought about attaching a shallow bowl of water on my windowsill for any little birds. Is this recommended and would it attract any birds? I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't disturb my neighbours!

Where do birds normally find water in summer; is this something they struggle with? It's been on my mind often as it's been quite dry here. I live in quite a busy area but there are magpies, blackbirds and blue tits around. I used to see a robin in the garden bobbing about the bushes, but I haven't seen him since winter. Thanks for reading my post.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I'm not sure how you would attach a water bowl securely so that it didn't get knocked off. Also, being up against a window might put birds off if they can see their own reflection or movement in the room.

We have two ponds and a stream which the birds here use, and we also provide a birdbath. Do your apartments have a communal garden where you could site a birdbath?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I'm not sure how you would attach a water bowl securely so that it didn't get knocked off. Also, being up against a window might put birds off if they can see their own reflection or movement in the room.

We have two ponds and a stream which the birds here use, and we also provide a birdbath. Do your apartments have a communal garden where you could site a birdbath?
Hi Kits, thanks for your reply. I had thought of sticking a light plastic bowl down with something, but you're right, I think being by the window is not ideal. The reason I thought of putting something by my window is that I'd likely need permission through agency / factors to place a bird bath in the back garden, which is shared. There's a spot in the back garden that seems ideal as well, as it's cool and shady.

Hi paralleluniversenight and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I, too, live in an upstairs flat. Some years ago I installed a window feeder, you know, the type that has suction pads that stick on. Well the one I got has a flat 'roof' and on it I placed a small plastic tray (that food comes in from the supermarket (no holes!!)) I also put a stone in it to weigh it down.

The birds did use it occasionally then gave up. But you can see a picture I took here: Bluey having a drink (or had one)

Some birds don't bother about me moving about, others are a bit shyer.

Is the place you have selected in the garden away from where people hang their washing and away from cars? Their droppings can annoy people who aren't interested in birds.

Someone left a large plastic bucket beside the hedge in our garden, I've seen birds drinking from it! I never have filled it, it just has rainwater in. I only really noticed it a few weeks ago, when I saw some Siskins drinking!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi paralleluniversenight and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I, too, live in an upstairs flat. Some years ago I installed a window feeder, you know, the type that has suction pads that stick on. Well the one I got has a flat 'roof' and on it I placed a small plastic tray (that food comes in from the supermarket (no holes!!)) I also put a stone in it to weigh it down.

The birds did use it occasionally then gave up. But you can see a picture I took here: Bluey having a drink (or had one)

Some birds don't bother about me moving about, others are a bit shyer.

Is the place you have selected in the garden away from where people hang their washing and away from cars? Their droppings can annoy people who aren't interested in birds.

Someone left a large plastic bucket beside the hedge in our garden, I've seen birds drinking from it! I never have filled it, it just has rainwater in. I only really noticed it a few weeks ago, when I saw some Siskins drinking!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi delia todd, thanks for your reply. I love the picture of 'Bluey' on the feeder. What stopped the birds coming to the feeder?

I was hoping to have some kind of feeder on one of the windows in my front room, which is away from the shared garden and faces a main road (though there's distance between the building and the road, with a little strip of garden in the front as well). There is less chance of me disturbing neighbours by potentially having a feeder at the front. I have a juliet balcony so I thought about maybe attaching something to that, if possible. My partner got me one of those sticky-on window feeders but I wasn't sure about it.

It's been quite hot and dry, especially the last few days and I wonder how the birds and creatures keep hydrated in this weather.

Hi delia todd, thanks for your reply. I love the picture of 'Bluey' on the feeder. What stopped the birds coming to the feeder?
Sorry... I really don't know. They even had a bath in it once or twice.

After a month or so they just didn't bother any more, but even now continue to use the feeder.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back