• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pug-nosed Viper type?, Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Anyone able to put a name on this little blighter that I nearly sat on?
Taken in Ecuador last year, apols for an understandably shaky photo;)

Attachments

• The Great Escape.jpg
    The Great Escape.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 88
Looks like a species of Hog-nosed Viper, rather like this one from Costa Rica - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_N6GeYdv9A...AFA/YpVrNFFSsoc/s1600/Hog-nosed+Pit+Viper.jpg

Yep Hog-nosed Viper was probablly what I had in mind, I dont know if Pug-nosed Viper even excists! hahhah

You link looks good for what I saw, I would say it was arond 9-12 inches in length.
We found a dead one on the road later on in the trip & that had a LOT of venom coming from the fangs.

All I can say is I am glad I decided in the end not to sit there but 5 ft away instead!!!:eek!:

Anyone know how dangerous the venom is by chance?

If it is Bothrops nasutus and i'm not 100% sure on that,the venom is allegedly classed as highly toxic and considered deadly.However i cannot find enough credible sites to support that information or on the breakdown of toxicity within that species.

If it is Bothrops nasutus and i'm not 100% sure on that,the venom is allegedly classed as highly toxic and considered deadly.However i cannot find enough credible sites to support that information or on the breakdown of toxicity within that species.

Thanks for your input whatever it is it would have been a pain in the butt anyway;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back