• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

purple emperor help (8 Viewers)

Hi Paul,

Bumped into this fella at a site near broxbourne woods today, he was drunk on fox dung and allowed a close approach !

PH

Attachments

• 05072009261.jpg
    05072009261.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 250
Savernake forest in Wiltshire (near Berks border)around the monument is becoming appreciated rapidly as a Purple emperor site, more people join the little throng every season..

Hi Mothman,
In which part of Savernake Forest might the Purple Emperors be seen?
Thanks, naturistbird (Swindon)

Totally agree PH there is nothing quite like seeing Purple Emperor and when you strive for a photo of that quality and achieve it.....well it's just such a thrill.I was the same with my first Emperor and i think even more so with my first Swallowtail.
Well done for capturing that.

Dave.

Fantastic picture! Bet if you showed it to the average person, they'd assume it was taken in the tropics. What an insect.

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, see what you mean,I have to admit that it was taken on my mobile phone !, I,m no kind of photographer ,he just sat so still even a duffer like me couldnt fail ,amazingly there was a guy there with some scouts who had a proper set up , but was not interested in taking any pics ! ,I just dont get some people,why go out to places like this if you are not moved by something as beautiful as this !?

PH

Hi PH.

Well...if you aren't moved to taking photos of something as stunning as that,i think i'd take up counting grains of sand as a hobby!.Even better photo considering it was taken on a mobile phone!

Dave.

Purple highflyer, that is a superb shot of a stunning beautiful Purple Emperor. I am gobsmacked to hear that it was taken with a mobile phone! Many congratulations on seeing and photographing this wonderful butterfly.

Ron

Purple highflyer, that is a superb shot of a stunning beautiful Purple Emperor. I am gobsmacked to hear that it was taken with a mobile phone! Many congratulations on seeing and photographing this wonderful butterfly.

Ron

Hi Ron,

It,s my pleasure to share it with people who can appreciate what a true wonder they are,I still count myself very lucky to have been graced by his majestys presence !

PH

Saw my first Purple Emperors yesterday, fantastic butterflies. That first flash of purple as the sun hits them is something else! Unfortunately none came down to ground so photo opportunities were limited but got a couple of record shots. Followed up with a new Damselfly (Emerald),a new Dragonfly (Norfolk Hawker) and a couple of pints of Adnams, so a good day all round.:t:
Phil

Fermyn Woods next week?

Hi,

I might not be able to get over to Fermyn Woods until early to mid next week. Would appreciate your opinion as to whether you think I'll be too late for Purple Emperors by then?

Many thanks
Irene

Hi,

I might not be able to get over to Fermyn Woods until early to mid next week. Would appreciate your opinion as to whether you think I'll be too late for Purple Emperors by then?

Many thanks
Irene

Don't know about Fermyn but in Suffolk the females have only just emerged over the last couple of days, so you should be ok.

Phil

Hi,

Many thanks
Irene

Hello Irene,

You might find it a bit late to see males on the ground ,but as Fermyn is probably the best site in the country it will still be your best shot.
I ,ve been to Broxbourne woods today with Herts & middlesex butterfly conservation and we had a grounded male on dog mess for @ 20 mins!

PH

Hello Irene,

You might find it a bit late to see males on the ground ,but as Fermyn is probably the best site in the country it will still be your best shot.
I ,ve been to Broxbourne woods today with Herts & middlesex butterfly conservation and we had a grounded male on dog mess for @ 20 mins!

PH

Thanks very much PH - will give it a go and try to get there earlier in the week rather than later! My fault for being away in Scotland for the past few weeks...

Good performance at Broxbourne this morning, with one male flying around me for quite a while, and landing on my jeans at one point, and another seen a bit later.
Best bet seems to be the main ride north of the car park, just before the stream ( the main stakeout), the clearing at the top and the track up to 200yds west of this.
Not sure if the weather this weekend will be ideal.

Hi phil havent had much luck at broxbourne this year seen a couple of fliers in the trees no groundings ,im not sure of your directions i park in the west carpark there is a ride going down hill is this the main ride ? not sure about the clearing or the west track,went to fermyn on the 2nd had some great shots on the ground went again yesterday no groundings that i know of two were spotted high up near the gate entrance ,had a great day though lots of white admirals ,1 dark variant no white markings,white letter hairstreak,purple hairstreak .
A big thankyou to everyone on this thread hope to meet some of you in the field some day paul

Hi

Does anybody know of the status of Purple Emperors at the Bentley station meadow site in Wiltshire? a friend of mine has enquired about this site and wonders whether it was worth a visit as he is in the area on monday and tuesday.I have tried this site on one occasion but this was back in the 1990's so any help would be really appreciated.

Dave.

Hi phil havent had much luck at broxbourne this year seen a couple of fliers in the trees no groundings ,im not sure of your directions i park in the west carpark there is a ride going down hill is this the main ride ? not sure about the clearing or the west track,went to fermyn on the 2nd had some great shots on the ground went again yesterday no groundings that i know of two were spotted high up near the gate entrance ,had a great day though lots of white admirals ,1 dark variant no white markings,white letter hairstreak,purple hairstreak .
A big thankyou to everyone on this thread hope to meet some of you in the field some day paul

Apologies for the delay in the reply, but have only got round to checking this thread after a busy couple of days.
Yes the main ride runs directly north of the west car park, downhill for a bit and crosses a stream. There is a bench on the right, which often gets a mention as this is the main stake out-the sallows opposite can be quite good, though usually its just a flyover or a perched Emperor.
If you continue over the stream and up the other side you reach a large clearing with a few logs etc. Turn left here and there is a marked trail-the posts have White Admirals/Emperors on them and this is where I got my main sighting. The trail continues west for a few hundred yards and if you then take a left fork, you will pass a small pond. Continue on and you hit the main ride near the seat. Alternatively carry on at the fork and you will eventually return to the car park.
Looking at satellite images, most of this track is visible, but the pond is not. I have only indicated its rough position. Also there are two large open areas (A and B)inside the track which can be very good, though finding a way in to them is not easy.

Attachments

• Broxbourne.jpg
    Broxbourne.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back