• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

purple emperor help (8 Viewers)

Hi Dave/Phil,

An interesting thread, but it may be worth clarifying a point of possible confusion. Bentley Station Meadow is adjacent to Alice Holt Forest in the north of Hampshire. Bentley Wood, still a good site for Purple Emperor, is about 40 miles away on the Hampshire/Wiltshire birder. For details of Hampshire sites, Alan Thornbury's butterfly website is excellent and the Hampshire branch of Butterfly Conservation gives details of recent sightings of Purple Emperor.

Good luck

Dave W

Hi Dave.

Many thanks for the website information.I have visited both sites in the past but only had success at Bentley wood so i'll keep a watch out on the sightings in Hampshire.

Dave.

Dave

You kindly sent me some details regarding Bentley Wood a little while ago, but I've since found out about the Alice Holt site and so I'll probably try there first since it's a lot closer.

Having said that, if this weather doesn't improve I won't be going anywhere at all. How long have I got left?

Hi Clive.

I would say probably the next week or so but thats very much dependant on when they first emerged as a lot of species seem to be out earlier this year.

Hi Clive,

I would go along with what Dave says, i.e. the next week or so at best. Straits Inclosure, which is immediately to the south-west of the main part of Alice Holt Forest, has a good record this year and I had a brief sighting of a Purple Emperor there this morning during a rare burst of sunshine.
I think you're going to need a morning visit, sunshine and plenty of luck!

Dave W

I've just noticed that on Alan Thornbury's site there are some photos of Purple Emperor from Bentley Wood (and one from Alice Holt) dated 30 June, so presumably the site is still producing the goods.

As for me, with this weekend already booked up it looks like I might have to wait till next year to see a 'Pemp'.

Fermyn Wood Purple Emperors

I am thinking of travelling from Lancashire to Fermyn Wood in hope of seeing Puuple Emperors, but yhe sightings page of the Northants. Web Site says they are tailing off. As it is a long trip has anyone any upto date info on sightings.

Many Thanks,
Tony Bennett

I am thinking of travelling from Lancashire to Fermyn Wood in hope of seeing Puuple Emperors, but yhe sightings page of the Northants. Web Site says they are tailing off. As it is a long trip has anyone any upto date info on sightings.

Many Thanks,
Tony Bennett

Hello Tony

I dont have up to date info, but late timing and the look of the weather over the next few days would suggest you save the petrol and try next year,If you still want to take the chance you couldnt go anywhere better.

PH

Tony

I'm probably going to look tomorrow as I'm almost driving past anyway. I'm then going camping for a while so won't be on the computer but if you want to PM me your mobile number I'd be happy to text you if I do have a look.

Thanks to mothman several butterfly followers have now seen the Purple Emperors at Ailesbury Column, Savernake forest, Wilts.
Both sexes in evidence on a sunny day.
Try also along the track for about 300 yds till you see a dead tree without branches.
The butterflies will be within the area of the Column and the dead tree.
Thanks again, Colin.
Naturistbird.

Thanks to mothman several butterfly followers have now seen the Purple Emperors at Ailesbury Column, Savernake forest, Wilts.
Both sexes in evidence on a sunny day.
Try also along the track for about 300 yds till you see a dead tree without branches.
The butterflies will be within the area of the Column and the dead tree.
Thanks again, Colin.
Naturistbird.

Thats okay Naturistbird.

How did the shrimp paste go?

Lots of rain so we had to wait for the sunny parts to appear.
There is, however, rather a lot of shrimp paste, banana skins and orange segments left behind for the insects to drop onto...whenever...!

Hope to revisit soon.
Thanks again.

Dave

You kindly sent me some details regarding Bentley Wood a little while ago, but I've since found out about the Alice Holt site and so I'll probably try there first since it's a lot closer.

Having said that, if this weather doesn't improve I won't be going anywhere at all. How long have I got left?

My sister works as a volunteer on Hedley Common, Surrey.
She says there are plenty of Purple Emperors on the Common every year.
Might this site be nearer for you?

Naturistbirder.

Tony

I'm probably going to look tomorrow as I'm almost driving past anyway. I'm then going camping for a while so won't be on the computer but if you want to PM me your mobile number I'd be happy to text you if I do have a look.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that and your offer of help. I think Iwe will leave it to next year and save some petrol, also I feel that that they emerged early this year and the weather over the last few days will not have helped.

Have a good camping holiday.

Many Thanks,

Tony Bennett

My sister works as a volunteer on Hedley Common, Surrey.
She says there are plenty of Purple Emperors on the Common every year.
Might this site be nearer for you?

I'm not too sure where this is, is it near Epsom? There is a road there called Headley (with an A) Common Road so that's what I'm guessing. I believe they are at Bookham Common too.

Both sites would definitely be closer, it's just that the Alice Holt site was recommended to me by someone. As I look out of the window at the cloud, rain and wind, it's all academic at the moment though.

I'm not too sure where this is, is it near Epsom? There is a road there called Headley (with an A) Common Road so that's what I'm guessing. I believe they are at Bookham Common too.

Both sites would definitely be closer, it's just that the Alice Holt site was recommended to me by someone. As I look out of the window at the cloud, rain and wind, it's all academic at the moment though.

Yes, sorry, it should have an "a" in it....near Epsom.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that and your offer of help. I think Iwe will leave it to next year and save some petrol, also I feel that that they emerged early this year and the weather over the last few days will not have helped.

Have a good camping holiday.

Many Thanks,

Tony Bennett

Just for future reference I did visit on the 25th despite pretty poor weather I did see one very quickly, but it was flying high. Despite the fact that we now have them in Suffolk I think I'll be visiting Fermyn myself again next year. On my first visit, a few years ago, one landed on my leg almost straight after my arrival.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back