• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

rainguard retention "strap" (1 Viewer)

Bob A (SD)

Anyone know where to pick up these nifty little retention straps / clips to fasten the eyepiece rainguard to the binos? I really don't know what their correct name is which has made doing internet searches problematic. Swaro shows it (from about 0:43 on) in this short YouTube video clip of their new bino suspender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FznXKZfj8co

Bob:

That strap (cord) looks just like the heavy black piece of shoelace that I custom cut to the
right length.

Swaro. adds a plastic clip, that looks to me to be in the way.

Have you tried the shoelace method, very common, and works well.

Jerry

Jerry,

Shoelace? Never seen that trick. Unfortunately it conjures up images of a large bow knot hanging off the eyepiece rainguard. You have any pix to illustrate and clear the air for this old man?

I've seen these made from various things here in the UK -
- cable tie too - the excess tie can be cut off so you are left with only a neat loop
- chain (this type here which are easy to cut to length)
- simple band/loop which come from clothing garment tags (I use the ones that come with Rohan gear for similar things)

Interesting Steve :) I must admit to being obviously sheltered as I've always threaded the rainguards on my bins through the neck straps. Never have seen anyone in my travels use anything like what you and Jerry have mentioned. Apparently I've been traveling with the wrong crowds for over 60 years now! LOL

I have a supply of flat leather and paracord laces on hand. Now to decide on an elegant way to terminate the loops :)

Bob:

I guess you just have to experiment in different ways of knot tying. What I like about
using this method, is I have a small Swaro. strap with ring, that came with the EL attached to the binocular so that I can easily switch to my harness or just the strap, quickclip on both.

Either way I can leave the rainguard tethered, and don't need to move that.

Jerry

Tethered Rainguard

Here is how I used a simple shoelace for a tether.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 182
Thanks Jerry. Plain simplicity trumps whatever was rattling around in my mind :)

I like your setup too. It's obvious that it makes for quick conversions between neck and suspender straps.

Hi Bob. I still simply pass my landyard ends through the rainguard eyes - works fine for me. I've experiments with other options, and I used something very similar to Jerry's example above for a few years. I then move on to two split rings, one on tight in the rainguard eye and another to run up and down the lanyard. But I ended up back were I started and dont plan on moving again any time soon!

Instead of the norms of bin critiques and optical theory we have some practical advice for where the rubber meets the road..... field usage! Refreshing to say the least! Thanks gents!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back