• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare bird in CT, USA or am I dumb? (1 Viewer)

MyMomsYard

Clueless Son
So a week ago and then earlier today I saw a bird in my moms yard that I've never seen before. In the news a few days back there was a story about a "townsend warbler" seen in CT which is apparently wildly rare. I looked up picks of it but they dont look 100% like what I saw. My mom's hyped that she might have a rare bird in her yard so I'm on a mission to find out if its a different bird or if its indeed the warbler.

What I saw kinda had the black and yellow face of the TWarbler but had a majority black body, no brown or grey on its back and sides, yellow on its chest with small black specs in the yellow, and a yellow stripe on its mid wing. I vaugely remember seeing white specs on it too but it never sat still so I cant be sure. It was a little smaller than a robin (in my opinion).

I tried to get a picture but since it wouldnt sit still and I was on the treadmill when I saw it, its pretty bad quality. But I'll attach the pic anyway for luck. Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys might have.

Attachments

• 20200511_220216.jpg
    20200511_220216.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 143
The myrtle warbler look so close, thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the warm welcome.
Im so sure this thing had more of a solid black on it but maybe I saw it wrong. I'm praying I can get a picture this week before the weather changes.

The myrtle warbler look so close, thanks for the suggestion and thanks for the warm welcome.
Im so sure this thing had more of a solid black on it but maybe I saw it wrong. I'm praying I can get a picture this week before the weather changes.

No need for another picture... we can see enough in this pic to say it is 100% a definite Yellow-rumped Warbler. Welcome to the forums as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back