• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for a first timer (1 Viewer)

eric632

United States
Hey all, sorry for another one of these threads but would love some advice for a first timer. I'm planning on doing traveling while working remote soon and figured a pair of binoculars is something I want with me. I'm looking for something that's somewhat portable as I'll be moving around and good for most use cases. Looking to spend ~$500 but am willing to spend a couple hundred more if the quality and value is there. I'm currently considering the GPO Passion ED 8x42 and Nikon 8x42 Monarch M7 based on what I've read on this forum but please let me know if I'm about to make a terrible decision...
Thanks a million!

The GPO and Nikon are solid options, but I would expect the Nikon would be the preferred choice, of the two. You might also consider a Vortex Diamondback or Viper.

Throw a bid in on these new Vortex Razor HD 8x42 for $649.99. The auction ends in 10 hours. They retail for about $1K. You might get them because there are no bids. Way better than a GPO or M7!

Hi Eric and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Throw a bid in on these new Vortex Razor HD 8x42 for $649.99. The auction ends in 10 hours. They retail for about $1K. You might get them because there are no bids. Way better than a GPO or M7!

I'm not too familiar with buying binoculars on ebay and am little worried about fraud. Are there a lot of fakes binoculars? Would it be easy for me to get it verified? I'm based in NYC if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with buying binoculars on ebay and am little worried about fraud. Are there a lot of fakes binoculars? Would it be easy for me to get it verified? I'm based in NYC if that makes a difference.
The seller has 100% feedback on 257 transactions. I wouldn't be too worried. If you don't get what you paid for, eBay will protect you.

Everyone's priorities and circumstances will be different, of course, but they do say it is wise to buy the best glass you can afford.

I'd say try and avoid the slow process of 'upgrading', which can be very expensive. The best path is to the buy the one you really want, whatever that is, regardless of price. But that takes time to figure out, and the one you really want may be pretty expensive; not everyone is lucky enough to be able to have their first choice.

If you decide to go with the Razor, that's great! It's a very fine bino indeed, and a good deal at that price. But I still think the wisest move is to try before you buy and find the one which is the perfect fit for you.

Everyone's priorities and circumstances will be different, of course, but they do say it is wise to buy the best glass you can afford.

I'd say try and avoid the slow process of 'upgrading', which can be very expensive. The best path is to the buy the one you really want, whatever that is, regardless of price. But that takes time to figure out, and the one you really want may be pretty expensive; not everyone is lucky enough to be able to have their first choice.

If you decide to go with the Razor, that's great! It's a very fine bino indeed, and a good deal at that price. But I still think the wisest move is to try before you buy and find the one which is the perfect fit for you.
Thanks and very good points. I think the issue is I wouldn't really know what to look for or what I really want. My goal now is to, like you said, buy the best ones I can now to avoid upgrading for as long as possible until there's a specific use case where I need to upgrade. And if/when that time comes I hope to pass the ones I buy now to someone I love for them to cherish.

Edit: Also I'm not sure if you could tell but I'm a bit of the sentimental type so I'll probably just stick to the ones I buy now and make that work for me.

Last edited:
The Razor will give you great value for money, even if you were buying it new. Vortex are known for affordability and a truly world-class lifetime warranty system. You'll get free repairs for life, no questions asked.

I own and enjoy Razor glass alongside Swarovski, and don't feel a major difference between them. (There is a difference, of course, but its not super big.)

The HD and new UHD line have different qualities, depending upon what you look for in a bino. Basically, the old HD (like the one on eBay) is not automatically 'outlcassed' by the UHD - put it that way. You're still getting an excellent optic.

Vortex lifetime warranty passes from user to user, without paperwork. So whoever you end up giving them to, should the day come, will also benefit from it.

Eric, you mentioned portability. Have you considered an 8x32? My first birding binoculars were 10x42, then I bought an 8x42, but eventually realized I wanted something lighter and less bulky. I use a 10x32 and 8x30 most of the time now, and sometimes a compact 10x25. Not as revealing in low light as full size models, but more portable.

Nikon M7 8x42s were my first pair of binoculars and they served me well. I beat the crap out of them over the years, and when I sent them in for a tune up Nikon sent me a brand new pair. I think the M7s are the best value in that price range.

Eric, you mentioned portability. Have you considered an 8x32? My first birding binoculars were 10x42, then I bought an 8x42, but eventually realized I wanted something lighter and less bulky. I use a 10x32 and 8x30 most of the time now, and sometimes a compact 10x25. Not as revealing in low light as full size models, but more portable.
I have not do you have any recommendations? I'm going to check out a store this weekend to see which size feels better for me. Like so many have suggested, going to try some in person before I make a decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back