• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for a first timer (1 Viewer)

I have not do you have any recommendations? I'm going to check out a store this weekend to see which size feels better for me. Like so many have suggested, going to try some in person before I make a decision.
Many people like the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 which is in your price range. I don't own it but hopefully other folks will chime in. You might also consider getting the full size model you like best and also a budget priced Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky? Just an idea...

Don’t make too big a thing of recommendations.

Since we have no clue where you are, we are giving advice blind.

Try before you buy. If there is a retailer in your area, go there and actually look through as many in your price range as you can. Buy the one that makes you say “Wow!” when you first look through it.

Hi,

while 8x42 is the default birders bin, the 8x32 format gains followers... coatings get better so the difference in brightness is less noticeable, people might not like the heavy brick around the neck (or use a harness and don't care).

I usually take a pair of 8x32 when I'm travelling, when there is a chance to actually do some birding, a scope and tripod too...

As for what bins to buy we need to know whether you will wear glasses when using the binoculars. If you do, you need more eye relief (the distance of the image from the eye lens) and this is usually in short supply with 8x32 pairs.

Joachim

Hi,

while 8x42 is the default birders bin, the 8x32 format gains followers... coatings get better so the difference in brightness is less noticeable, people might not like the heavy brick around the neck (or use a harness and don't care).

I usually take a pair of 8x32 when I'm travelling, when there is a chance to actually do some birding, a scope and tripod too...

As for what bins to buy we need to know whether you will wear glasses when using the binoculars. If you do, you need more eye relief (the distance of the image from the eye lens) and this is usually in short supply with 8x32 pairs.

Joachim
no glasses and 20/20 vision! I think I'm leaning towards the 8x32 now since I will be traveling and am more likely to bring it with me when exploring since I'll also be carrying a camera (Fujifilm XT-3)

Hi,

in that case a pair of M7 8x30 or its nicer Kamakura brethren (Opticron Traveller ED, Maven B3... did I forget somebody?) will be a good buy at $500...

If you can snag a good pair of nicer 8x32 used locally (or from a store with a no questions asked return policy), I would look at stuff like Leica Trinovod BA/BN or HD, Zeiss Conquest, Cabela Euro aka Meopta Meostar B1 and Nikon HGL or maybe Swaro SLC neu or Monarch HG if you're very lucky....

Joachim

Last edited:
Many people like the Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 which is in your price range. I don't own it but hopefully other folks will chime in. You might also consider getting the full size model you like best and also a budget priced Sightron 8x32 SII Blue Sky? Just an idea...
For what it's worth, I've had both the Terra 8x32 and Sightron 8x32s. Personally, I prefer the Sightrons optically while finding the smaller size of the Terras quite useful for travel and for putting them in a camera/laptop bag or backpack (where space is at a premium). For the record, my 8x32 Terras are now with my father (who quite enjoys them) while I've given away 3 copies of the Sightrons to friends and have one out "on borrow" with another (so might not get them back).

One approach you might take is to simply get a set of the Sightrons (~US$200 last I looked) - or Terras, Monarchs, or whatever - and use them for a good long time. Note the things you don't like or would like to have improved (make a list!). When you're ready, you can then use that to inform any choice of more expensive binoculars.

Just a thought.

...Mike

Hi Eric, I’m in the same camp as Will K. and Canip. The Nikon M7 and GPO ED 8x42s mentioned in your original post are excellent choices in the $500 price range. Many here have spent decades pursuing the perfect binocular only to discover that there really isn’t one. There are a number of quality offerings at different price points - under $500, under $1k, under $2k, top tier. Beyond that it‘s mostly about trying to determine which features suit the individual best. If you cannot physically go where you can sample those binoculars there are some dealers who will let you demo or return if not satisfied.

To throw another option in the ring, take a look at Meopta Meopro HD binoculars. Very similar in hand to Vortex Razors or Tract Toric binoculars, but I think the optics might actually edge out the Razors.

They can be found on sale quite frequently for around $400 USD.

I'd say try and avoid the slow process of 'upgrading', which can be very expensive.
I somewhat agree with you but I must say that the upgrade path (for me) was a lot of fun and very educating AND I got to try out many many bins .
In the past I have bought binoculars solely based on other peoples opinions because they were not available locally to try out , my Nikon MHG is one such bin that worked out fine , others not so fine .

Last edited:
It's highly unlikely you will get your first pair of binos spot on. You might like 8's, possibly 10's..... 32mm, 42mm, maybe 50mm.
Porros or roofs.
My advice......go second hand through reputable dealers who will warrant and check the binos.
Dance around the second hand market a bit, you can change your mind with very little, or no loss financially, until you decide what works for you.
Then spend some cash and treat yourself.

I'am curious, did you buy one ?
My suggestions : if you buy one
1. Kowa 3x33 Genesis or
2. Fujinon 8x42 Hyper Clarity or
3. Meopta 10x42 MeoPro HD Plus
if you buy two
Kowa 6.5x32 BD II XD Wide-Angle + Pentax 9x32 AD WP (or Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 $106 in stock right now at Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 Binoculars Rubber Armored SIIBL832 )
Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32 will enter in history like Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30W ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back