• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (14 Viewers)

Sunday 11/11/12 Just returned from a dusk and nightfall visit to Middleton Lakes. Sightings of note were:

1 Green sandpiper on the new workings in the middle section (confirmed by another birder who also reported 3 Redshank on North Pit)

4 Little Egret over

Water rail (heard) just north of Fishers Mill pool

Barn owl hunting down the canal side of the reserve after dark

Tawny owl (heard) on south side of Silt pool

3 or 4 Fieldfare over

c100 Lapwing on North Pit

c500 Starlings over - about half the number of last week

Kind regards

Steve Atkinson

Let's hope that the coming Autumn and Winter allow 'reasonable' working conditions for the contractors so that the habitat is suitable for whatever wants to try and breed there and is more productive for passage Spring birds (and birders)......

Laurie:t:

Let's hope that the coming Autumn and Winter allow 'reasonable' working conditions for the contractors so that the habitat is suitable for whatever wants to try and breed there and is more productive for passage Spring birds (and birders)......

Laurie:t:

Absolutely, lets hope! The work they've done so far certainly looks encouraging and the Green Sandpiper certainly approved!
Steve

any photos of the work? sounds like a big job

Hi John,
I haven't took any pictures of the works yet but will have a go this week if possible, in the mean time here are some pictures I took at Donna Nook in Lincs of how Midd Lakes might look when finished. Many Lincs birders hope that the Donna Nook realignment scheme might become an RSPB reserve when the Environment Agency pass the place on in about 4 years time.
Geoff

Attachments

• Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 56
Hi John,
I haven't took any pictures of the works yet but will have a go this week if possible, in the mean time here are some pictures I took at Donna Nook in Lincs of how Midd Lakes might look when finished. Many Lincs birders hope that the Donna Nook realignment scheme might become an RSPB reserve when the Environment Agency pass the place on in about 4 years time.
Geoff

My jaw dropped when I saw those pics Geoff, it looks like Titchwell. If Middleton looked like that then it would be a great place to bird in.B :)John

In response to a request I made to Nick Martin, the Senior Site Manager of Middleton Lakes, for more information on the new works and expected developments, he replied with quite a comprehensive and encouraging answer. He's given me permission to reproduce his reply here and I think it makes very interesting reading. He starts off by responding to a question I asked about dealing with the water levels on the North Pit:

'Regarding the north pit, it was proposed to have sluices protecting this area in spring flooding. I had many conversations with the Environment Agency about it and although there is a fundamental rule of no restrictions to flow in the floodplain they agreed to consider it in principle. We therefore took our plans to them earlier this year once we had the funding in place but were disappointed when they requested a full flood model with the application. We had already given them the volume details for the site but they requested a flood model for the entire catchment (Tamworth). This was well beyond our capacity and though we can commission the works from a hydrology company it will be very expensive and most importantly take too long to be within the timeline for the funding stream. Because of this we have parked the northern sluice scheme for now though hope to revisit it soon.

In the mean time we have designed the new wetlands so that flooding is buffered and will hopefully not be so devastating as it is on the northern pool. The sluices will maintain optimum water levels on the two scrapes which will themselves be disconnected from the river so less at risk of flooding. I hope that although in the short term waders will still be vulnerable on the northern pool there will be many other places for them to nest and so more pairs will be successful. It is also worth noting that even in years with a spring flood many waders will re-nest successfully so all is not lost. This year was rare in that the two floods meant that the re nesters were scuppered again.

Regarding the river bridge, it is still in the hands of Hanson the gravel company to deliver as part of their planning condition and although I am constantly harassing them to do it I cannot give any firm guarantees of when it will happen. At the moment we are working on February/March but let’s wait and see! The hide should be happening this winter also and will be ready for use once the landscaping is complete or even a bit before depending on the access in the north
'.

Thanks to Nick for the above information.

All the best
Steve

White-rumped Sandpiper.

I had a text off John Harris at 4:25pm saying that a White-rumped Sandpiper has been reported in the new workings this afternoon and Nick (Martin?) has asked him to pass on the message.
On RBA it says, seen at 2pm and view only from the path west of pits by the canal, do not cross any ditches or barriers.
Geoff

I had a text off John Harris at 4:25pm saying that a White-rumped Sandpiper has been reported in the new workings this afternoon and Nick (Martin?) has asked him to pass on the message.
On RBA it says, seen at 2pm and view only from the path west of pits by the canal, do not cross any ditches or barriers.
Geoff
I did visit the reserve this morning and on the north pit were 3 Redshank and what I took to be a Dunlin but it was very distant, 2 Little Egret were also there and a Snipe was seen in flight by Fishers Mill Pool.
Geoff

Report White-rumped Sandpiper DBP

I recieved a text this afternoon from Nick Martin regarding a White-rumped Sand at DBP, Nick asking me to spread the news.
I then telephoned Nick to clear access arrangements, Nick saying at this stage of the works being undertaken that it's now O.K to go to the North pit along the track by the canal. I then asked Nick about the White-rumped Sandpiper report. Nick said that a senior RSPB ecologist and experienced birder was on site and saw the White-rumped Sandpiper with 3 Reshank in area south of North pit.

Regards, John

I recieved a text this afternoon from Nick Martin regarding a White-rumped Sand at DBP, Nick asking me to spread the news.
I then telephoned Nick to clear access arrangements, Nick saying at this stage of the works being undertaken that it's now O.K to go to the North pit along the track by the canal. I then asked Nick about the White-rumped Sandpiper report. Nick said that a senior RSPB ecologist and experienced birder was on site and saw the White-rumped Sandpiper with 3 Reshank in area south of North pit.

Regards, John
Hi John, Thanks for the text. Lets hope it stays around and I get a better view tomorrow.
Geoff

As promised here are some pictures of the reserve. These four are of the north pit. Now that it's temporary detached from the river it's looking much better for waders. Perhaps if you look closely you may see a White-rumped Sandpiper.
Geoff

Attachments

• Picture 079.jpg
    Picture 079.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 102.jpg
    Picture 102.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Jubilee Wetland

These are pictures of the new workings, not a lot done so far but the water levels are down by about 2 feet.
Geoff

Attachments

• Picture 055.jpg
    Picture 055.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 058.jpg
    Picture 058.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture 066.jpg
    Picture 066.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 60
I was pleased to see that the White-rumped Sandpiper was still around this morning showing reasonably well but distant, it's white rump was seen a number of times, I tried to get a picture but it was too far away, hope someone has more luck, there were plenty of birders here.
Also there were 2 Little Egret, 3 Redshank and the Dunlin was with the Sandpiper earlier according to Paul Hyde. 2 Green Sandpiper were on the new workings.
Geoff

I was pleased to see that the White-rumped Sandpiper was still around this morning showing reasonably well but distant, it's white rump was seen a number of times, I tried to get a picture but it was too far away, hope someone has more luck, there were plenty of birders here.
Also there were 2 Little Egret, 3 Redshank and the Dunlin was with the Sandpiper earlier according to Paul Hyde. 2 Green Sandpiper were on the new workings.
Geoff

Hi Geoff,
It was good to see you and all the other birders this morning, but not quite as good as seeing the White-Rumped Sandpiper!!
All the best
Steve

These are pictures of the new workings, not a lot done so far but the water levels are down by about 2 feet.
Geoff

Cheers for that Geoff . I always like to see wetlands being worked on to improve them. Its been a long time since we had some diggers at Upton warren, but we have plants a foot for some improvements.B :)John

Had another look at the White-rumped Sandpiper this afternoon, it was a bit closer than yesterday but now on the new workings, 2 Green Sandpiper were still there plus a pair of Stonechat. 1 Little Egret and 3 Redshank were on the north pit and a Cetti's Warbler was calling on Fishers Mill Pool.
Geoff

Had another look at the White-rumped Sandpiper this afternoon, it was a bit closer than yesterday but now on the new workings, 2 Green Sandpiper were still there plus a pair of Stonechat. 1 Little Egret and 3 Redshank were on the north pit and a Cetti's Warbler was calling on Fishers Mill Pool.
Geoff

Geoff are any of your Cettis warbler singing, we have a couple at Upton but only their trilling is being heard. I know our previous birds were relatively quiet at this time of year.
B :)JB :)ohn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back