• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (13 Viewers)

Geoff are any of your Cettis warbler singing, we have a couple at Upton but only their trilling is being heard. I know our previous birds were relatively quiet at this time of year.
B :)JB :)ohn

Two at Brandon last weekend giving snatches of song, with at least three others just calling.....

Cetti's

Geoff are any of your Cettis warbler singing, we have a couple at Upton but only their trilling is being heard. I know our previous birds were relatively quiet at this time of year.
B :)JB :)ohn

Hi John, I have had Cetti's singing by the silt pool Middleton lakes recently, Cetti's some are quite vocal in winter in the Tame Valley even when there is snow on the ground. John

Did a late afternoon visit to the reserve but today was even gloomier than yesterday and the Dunlin had increased to ca. 10 birds so picking out the Sandpiper was almost impossible without a torch (which I hadn't got). There were still 3 Redshank and 2 Green Sandpiper around plus 3 Little Egret, a Grey Wagtail flew into the new workings which are now nearly dry with 2 or 3 pumps going.
Geoff

Original finder of the White-rumped Sandpiper

Just had a reply e-mail from Nick Martin saying the finder of the bird was Graham White a senior RSPB Ecologist who was on site last Tuesday surveying the works done. Graham noticed this small wader with 3 Redshank and it did not look like a Dunlin, Graham being an experienced birder, so he crawled through the mud on his belly to get a closer view of the bird through his binoculars, to confirm White-rumped Sandpiper.
Nick Martin head warden was disappointed that no one had put any money into the cairn money collection box in the RSPB carpark although many had travelled to see the bird. So next time your down at RSPB Middleton lakes stick a pound in the cairn money collection box.

Regards, John

The Long-tailed Duck was still on the new reedbed pool when I arrived this morning but later it moved around a lot also being seen on Fishers Mill Pool and the north pit. The White-rumped Sandpiper was still settled in the new workings and a Redshank and a Dunlin were on the north pit but the Dunlin increased to ca.12 birds later according to Bob D. 10 Snipe were by Fishers Mill Pool but no Jack Snipe were seen.
Geoff

Nick's Comments to Steve Atkinson in e-mail 'Regarding the north pit, it was proposed to have sluices protecting this area in spring flooding. I had many conversations with the Environment Agency about it and although there is a fundamental rule of no restrictions to flow in the floodplain they agreed to consider it in principle. We therefore took our plans to them earlier this year once we had the funding in place but were disappointed when they requested a full flood model with the application. We had already given them the volume details for the site but they requested a flood model for the entire catchment (Tamworth). This was well beyond our capacity and though we can commission the works from a hydrology company it will be very expensive and most importantly take too long to be within the timeline for the funding stream. Because of this we have parked the northern sluice scheme for now though hope to revisit it soon.

In the mean time we have designed the new wetlands so that flooding is buffered and will hopefully not be so devastating as it is on the northern pool. The sluices will maintain optimum water levels on the two scrapes which will themselves be disconnected from the river so less at risk of flooding. I hope that although in the short term waders will still be vulnerable on the northern pool there will be many other places for them to nest and so more pairs will be successful. It is also worth noting that even in years with a spring flood many waders will re-nest successfully so all is not lost. This year was rare in that the two floods meant that the re nesters were scuppered again.

Regarding the river bridge, it is still in the hands of Hanson the gravel company to deliver as part of their planning condition and although I am constantly harassing them to do it I cannot give any firm guarantees of when it will happen. At the moment we are working on February/March but let’s wait and see! The hide should be happening this winter also and will be ready for use once the landscaping is complete or even a bit before depending on the access in the north'.

Regarding Nick's notes ( RSPB Middleton lakes head warden).
EA comments requesting a flood model for the catchment of Tamworth, the EA should already have these figures if they are doing their job correctly another hurdle they want the RSPB to jump over, and restrictions to flow in flood plains there are huge bunds stopping the flow along the river Tame at Dosthill lake produced by the water ski club. As a result the north pit will be the same as usual this Spring wader breeders washed out ( even in the driest years it will still flood) and poor vis on any passage waders that do drop in on little mud exposed.
The weather we are experiencing now could cause the River Tame to flood and fill up the pits again, they will then have to be pumped out ( costing more diesel) however the work force would expexct this to happen at some point. They could re-open the north pit to the river to take some flood water.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Report from yesterday the North pit and new workings have withstood the flooding however the track along to the North pit by the canal is flooded and almost impassible with wellington's yesterday in sections.

Regards, John

Report from yesterday the North pit and new workings have withstood the flooding however the track along to the North pit by the canal is flooded and almost impassible with wellington's yesterday in sections.

Regards, John

Geoff in an e-mail said this morning the water level was still rising and more rain is forecast this evening. Meadow Trail field flooded this is expected as opposite the cowfield are the large bunds to Dosthill lake the flood water can only go one way.

Regards, John

Middleton Lakes in flood

The RSPB plans to have a floating sluice on the channel from the River Tame to the north pit which would stop water entering the north pit in moderate flooding, preventing breeding waders being washed out and provide mud for waders by lowering the water level.
The Enviromental Agency want a flood model for the catchment of Tamworth. Picture of the Tame in full flood today, water from the River Tame pouring into new reedbed pool. So the floating sluice is no barrier to flood water escaping the River Tame. It looks like the EA are going to con the RSPB into having this flood model for the catchment of Tamworth so they don't have to pay for it themselves.

Regards,, John

Attachments

• 041#001.jpg
    041#001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
24/11/12 Middleton Lakes. The things you see! - A bloke jogging through the reserve in wellies this morning! Mind you it is incredibly muddy but I did manage to get up to the North Pit, meeting the Worcestershire County recorder on the way. The 'new workings' are full of water and overflowing into the North Pit which is also flooded. The only mud is on the paths! Not looking good for waders.
Surprisingly I watched a Water Rail for 2 or 3 minutes under the feeding station near the car park at 9.30, never seen or heard one there before. Flushed a Snipe near the bench by the North Pit. 1 Little Egret over. Reed Bunting by Fishers Mill pool. I didn't see the White-Rumped Sandpiper or the Long Tailed Duck.

All the best
Steve

Middleton Lakes was badly flooded this morning, in fact water levels were rising as the river was still overflowing. The Dosthill side of the reserve was in a better position with a rise of about 6" there. In the southern meadow water levels were up to the top of the fence posts in places, so up to 4'. Luckily there was still a bit of grass showing so the 5 cows weren't completely submerged but they didn't look happy, it's the third time this year they've been flooded out. I don't think it's a good idea keeping animals on a flood plain all the year round yet the RSPB are planning to put some more on the central area as well.
Birdwise there wasn't much to see, 1 Little Egret and the usual ducks were noted but I see that a party of 25 Waxwings were at the RSPB carpark per TVB.
Geoff

Middleton Lakes was badly flooded this morning, in fact water levels were rising as the river was still overflowing. The Dosthill side of the reserve was in a better position with a rise of about 6" there. In the southern meadow water levels were up to the top of the fence posts in places, so up to 4'. Luckily there was still a bit of grass showing so the 5 cows weren't completely submerged but they didn't look happy, it's the third time this year they've been flooded out. I don't think it's a good idea keeping animals on a flood plain all the year round yet the RSPB are planning to put some more on the central area as well.
Birdwise there wasn't much to see, 1 Little Egret and the usual ducks were noted but I see that a party of 25 Waxwings were at the RSPB carpark per TVB.
Geoff

You will have to report them to the RSPCA Geoff.

Waxwing

Looking at the reports and sightings the c25 Waxwing are feeding in gardens at Dosthill and coming into Middleton Hall to roost. So your best chance to see waxwing at Middleton Halll would be in the morning or before dusk (late afternoon).

Regards, John

Managed to walk down to the north pit OK but the only waders seen were a Dunlin flying around north pit and a Woodcock which flew up from the edge of the path at Mill Plantation.
Duck numbers were down, probably spread around local flooded fields, a Shelduck was on north pit. A Nuthatch was on the feeders and a Cetti's Warbler called at Fishers Mill Pool.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back