• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (13 Viewers)

This afternoon I saw 1 mealy and 6 lesser redpoll at the feeders + a water rail in the reeds. 2 snipe, 6 goosander, 2 oystercatcher, Med gull and 2 wheatear on the North. 2 redshank, LRP, 2 ringed plover on Jubilee. 2 swallows over the Play Meadow. 1 small tortoiseshell and a muntjac deer in the woodland.

Dream on mate - it's as stated plus bringing a couple of dogs altho if i bring the boat and moor at the top end the dogs will be with me that's for sure......Oh and it's not my car!

Laurie:t:

Dream on mate - it's as stated plus bringing a couple of dogs altho if i bring the boat and moor at the top end the dogs will be with me that's for sure......Oh and it's not my car!

RSPB are allowing dogs from Fisher's mill bridge along the river to the proposed bridge to Dosthill, a sign at Fisher's mill bridge saying dogs and at the proposed bridge point is a sign saying no dogs, which is confusing a few until the bridge goes up.
So dog walkers can take their dogs for a walk around the Dosthill lake (private sking lake) and also dogs are allowed at KWP.
Not worried about frisky pheasant, you never posted on this thread for weeks after one comment from frisky. You may have a good peck from frisky if you mis-behave at Middleton.

I was visiting the pools before the thread even started;) Thnx for the dog info. Are there signs for the dog walkers that walk down from the moored narrowboats?

I was visiting the pools before the thread even started;) Thnx for the dog info. Are there signs for the dog walkers that walk down from the moored narrowboats?

Laurie,
Many people were visting the site before the thread started and before RSPB ownership in 2007, that's why the thread started later than 2007 because Nick Martin sent out information that he did not want Bird information going out from the Reserve whilst it was closed to the public. The Reserve opened a year later than expected, so Tame Valley Birding put out Bird information whilst the reserve was officialy closed saying view from canal for general public, however for the regulars there was a permitted access in use. there was 1 year delay due to gaining official access down the long rough Road through the old Hanson'w workings.
There are sign's at Fisher's mill saying no dogs down the track North by the canal, however some dog owners ignore this.

Regards, John

It's coming up to wader breeding season and there is no sluice system put in place.
The grass seeded areas around the jubilee wetlands have been out competed by Dock, it may take a few years for grass to establish.
I noticed at Cannock Chase after the fires that areas of burned heather and Bilberry were quickly replaced by Wavy Hair Grass and it takes a while for Heather and Bilberry to re- establish.

We may have a drier Spring as we have had a lot of Rain early in the year (records saying January is the wettest on record).
However you only need one day of heavy rain for Jubilee wetlands and the North pit to flood. If a wet Spring a day of heavy rain in a 3 day period and thus the water levels won't go down on the jubilee wetlands and the north pit. A drier spell will lead to water levels dropping on jubilee wetlands and the north pit and providing the best feeding for waders around, which could attract good numbers of passage waders which happened in Autumn.

Regards, John

Just to add to the earlier reports for today, 3 Green Sands were seen (1 JWs and 2 on Villa Pit) and 4 Snipe on FMP. The Grey Plover flew back to the JWs later.
Geoff

I'm glad someone is covering the reserve Fergus, Swallow maybe a returning farm breeder, Willow warbler they breed South side of the silt pool.
The next summer migrants could be House Martin, Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Tern, Whitethroat or the more rare Garganey. There's also a possibility of the odd earlier bird like the Yellow Wagtail.

The rarer bird on the Reserve Garganey was the next summer migrant, Yellow Wagtails should start appearing and also more White Wagtails now.

A Greenshank, still moulting into summer plumage, was on the canalside scrape of Jubilee Wetlands today.
Also seen this morning by JM and BV was a Glossy Ibis which flew into North Pit but was set upon by gulls and it flew off south, it was later reported over KWP.
I managed to see the Greenshank but most of the waders from yesterday had departed, no doubt because of the rapidly rising waters.
The Med Gull was still on NP, 4 Willow Warblers were singing and 5 Sand Martin and 3 Swallow flew north.
Geoff

I haven't been to Middleton Lakes for a while but intend to start making more regular visits now the evenings are lighter. Unfortunately I've forgotten the code for the hide. Here's hoping someone can remind me! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back