• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (12 Viewers)

The Common Terns and Yellow Wagtails are getting very close to the reserve now.
11/4/14 KWP Bodymoor Heath Water 4 Common Tern and 4 Yellow Wagtail on the meadows. Chris Cook

We should add Arctic Tern to the Summer migrant list now.

Regards, John

There must be a formulae being used by those doing the information like 10 or more records over a 5 year period to be classed as a wintering bird
Two-barred Crossbill being a BBRC Bird at the moment and just a quick look on birdgudes database since Jan 1 in the UK there are at least 36 Two-barred Crossbills being reported. Should two-barred Crossbill be removed from the BBRC list, we will have to wait and see, if in the next five years the average is 1-3 birds then no.

Regards, John

I think there is a difference between a wintering species and a species of which a few individuals winter. The quoted figures for Whimbrel equate to 3% of the British breeding population although clearly more are present in the country on passage. I wonder what % of the British Chiffchaff or Blackcap populations over-winter?

I think there is a difference between a wintering species and a species of which a few individuals winter. The quoted figures for Whimbrel equate to 3% of the British breeding population although clearly more are present in the country on passage. I wonder what % of the British Chiffchaff or Blackcap populations over-winter?

Ringing studies have shown are wintering blackcaps come from the continent so not British breeders at all. And in the Nuneaton/Tame Valley area all the wintering Chiffchaffs are from Siberia.

The female Red-crested Pochard could be seen from the Dosthill bunds (the southern meadow trail is still closed). On the JWs were 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Dunlin and several Ringed Plover, LRP and Redshank. A Common Tern was seen on the JWs and later on NP. The Med Gull was still on NP.
A Cuckoo flew over FMP yesterday but didn't call.
Geoff

The female Red-crested Pochard could be seen from the Dosthill bunds (the southern meadow trail is still closed). On the JWs were 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Dunlin and several Ringed Plover, LRP and Redshank. A Common Tern was seen on the JWs and later on NP. The Med Gull was still on NP.
A Cuckoo flew over FMP yesterday but didn't call.
Geoff

There's a few Cuckoo's in Geoff all so far have been down south.

With an early Yellow Wagtail record and now Cuckoo.
The next summer migrants, House Martin, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Arctic Tern, I will put Hobby down as we have had a few early birds.

Regards, John

With an early Yellow Wagtail record and now Cuckoo.
The next summer migrants, House Martin, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Arctic Tern, I will put Hobby down as we have had a few early birds.

Regards, John

Still we need a Grasshopper Warbler record for the Reserve and don't forget Osprey, seen on Middleton Hall pool, Fisher's mill Bridge pool in the past, Jubilee wetlands could now be a site to see them with now shallow water and a fish stock from the river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back