• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Salt Pans at Arricife, Lanzarote (1 Viewer)

pompeyrok

I am in port in a few weeks for the day on a cruise ship, and see that there are some salt pans just to the north of the harbour on the edge of town. Does anyone know if it's worthwhile walking there for any birding? Or indeed, the sea water lagoon in the middle of town?

Thanks.

The shoreline - particularly around the fort (Castillo de San Gabriel) and the tidal lagoon (Charco de San Gines) - can be very productive. When I visited Lanzarote in March 2013 this area produced good close views of Sandwich Tern, Common Tern, Grey Plover, Turnstone, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Common Sandpiper, Grey Heron, Kentish Plover, Little Egret, Whimbrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Pallid Swift, Curlew, White Wagtail, Bertholt's Pipit and Dunlin with Cattle Egret late afternoon flying to roost and Cory's Shearwater offshore.

Below is what I included in a trip report of a Canary Islands cruise about my day in Arrecife in late October in case of any use:-

I had seen Houbara Bustards in Fuerteventura in the past so decided that rather than get a taxi to the plains I would walk into Arrecife. I did so partly because Tony Clarke's book said it was a good area for waders.

Getting off the boat several Sandwich Terns were around the port, also a Little Tern which was a real surprise and a new Canary Islands bird for me. Arrecife is a very attractive town and I spent a pleasant couple of hours chacking the tidal creeks and shore. A number of wader species were seen including Kentish Plover, Sanderling, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Common Sandpiper, Grey Plover, Ringed Plover and Turnstone.

Checking out a few areas of cover for migrants was always likely to be a long shot, and so it proved with only Spanish Sparrows to show for it until a park at the far end of the town where a Southern Grey Shrike put on a great show.

Leaving Lanzarote on the boat a couple of flying fish were a bonus, and some more dolphins were seen briefly. Seabird wise only Cory's were seen in strong winds which made observations rather hair-raising.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back