• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper id help please, SE Thailand, April 5, 2022 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I have attached a number of photos of a sandpiper (all photos are of the same bird, which was alone) that I would like to ask for help in identification. The default sandpiper here is wood, with marsh, common greenshank and common redshank having been seen at this time of year. Though the photos are not as clear as one would like, I was thinking the lack of a red bill and legs can exclude redshank, the lack of a supercilium would exclude Marsh and Wood. This leaves, of the expected species, common greenshank. But the photos do not seem to show any prominent streaking nor dark loral stripe (again, perhaps the poor quality of the photos is why). I think it must be common greenshank but is that correct please? Actually the one it looks like to me is Nordmann's Greenshank but that would be considered rare. Help on identification most appreciated:)
Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_14b9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_14b9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • DSCN7898.JPG
    DSCN7898.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 43
  • DSCN7899.JPG
    DSCN7899.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7903.JPG
    DSCN7903.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • fullsizeoutput_14b7.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_14b7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCN7905.JPG
    DSCN7905.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • DSCN7906.JPG
    DSCN7906.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN7907.JPG
    DSCN7907.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
You're describing features that I never bother to look for! But your logic is good, and this is a rather small-billed (1st-year?) greenshank. The only other species in the frame would be marsh sandpiper but the bill is too solid and slightly upturned. Nordmann's greenshank is a rather different-looking thing that looks more like a willet than anything else, and I think would only ever be seen on mudflats; there was one featured in this forum a few weeks ago.

I agree with your reasoned conclusion. On 'jizz' alone it looks like a Common Greenshank to me; definitely not Nordmann's - nor any of the other species that you mention.

RB

I've no experience of Nordmann's unfortunately, but the bill looks much more like common greenshank - the Pacific golden plover gives a good size comparator too

Thank you Butty, Rotherbirder and kb57 for taking the time to properly id this for me:) Much appreciated. Buty, if you don't mind and have the time I would appreciate hearing what features you would look for to separate these species, I need all the help I can get lol.
thanks again everyone
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back