• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sard 6x42 compared to Bushnell 7x35 FPO Rangemaster. (1 Viewer)

Paultricounty

United States
Has anybody ever compared these two binoculars side by side. Would like to know the image differences in edge performance , color hue, resolution, what are the things to look out for when buying one of the Sards. Not to interested in DOF as we all know both are amazing.

Also would like to hear from those who have had experience with both, even if not side by side.

Thank you
Paul

From what I understand these Navy Sards are very rare and of course very old. I don’t see many of these come up for sale, and the ones I do see are in horrible shape. This one was the best I’ve seen, I missed out on it because I was on the Rangemaster quest. I’ve read discussions on different binocular forums that maybe these are best of the best of vintage SWF binoculars. Way back , can’t remember when I may have a tried the 7x50 version, but didn’t know what it was at the time. I remember It was in rough shape and had a very yellow tint and I wasn’t impressed to say the least. But again it could’ve had a lot to do with the condition and how it was maintained or lack thereof.

I remember the 7x50 was very heavy for a 50mm, like 15 pounds 😲.

Attachments

• 3B8E9CE0-FA3A-466D-8000-71C53B3D7FAA.jpeg
    3B8E9CE0-FA3A-466D-8000-71C53B3D7FAA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 8546A2CE-AD22-4414-B418-5BA9601FA4A0.jpeg
    8546A2CE-AD22-4414-B418-5BA9601FA4A0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • CEE113EF-50BB-4EA1-A82E-988F8E547D5A.jpeg
    CEE113EF-50BB-4EA1-A82E-988F8E547D5A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
That a gross eggggsageration , they are closer to 14 lbs.....
Kidding- the MK41 I have - no strap- is 3 lb 9oz. Despite the meaty grip needed for the MK41, it's almost like a rangemaster with real usable eye relief... Pat

That a gross eggggsageration , they are closer to 14 lbs.....
Kidding- the MK41 I have - no strap- is 3 lb 9oz. Despite the meaty grip needed for the MK41, it's almost like a rangemaster with real usable eye relief... Pat
In other words a brick, no a cinder block 🤭. How about some pictures Pat when you have some time.

What is the eye relief on the Mk41? Have you compared them with the range master, and if so which rangemaster?

I have most of the Rangmaster line, just missing what has been called the tansition model. These are supposed to be the FPO body with the Tamron (aka ugly duckling) optics. The Tamron has very short eye relief but the FPO models have 14mm , which is very comfortable, I can use this model with sunglasses.

Paul

Hello Paul- back in from a quick comparison of the MK41/ Tamron rangemaster and FPO rangemaster. The mk41 wins!!! The -41 has a better fov with or without glasses, further the -41 also works better with glasses than either- to the point that I found the 41's being used by very light forehead resting with the head tilted slightly forward- much more ER. The ER is so good that without glasses you almost have to haver with the bino slightly off the forehead to keep from blackouts- a taller eyecup would solve that. They were made to be used with a large rubber bolt on hood- hence the extra ER. The FOV of the FPO was quite good (in my case I have a non stock cup taped on place as there was none in place on acquisition). The Tamron seem to have the worst ER as I could barely see the field stop without glasses. The FPO can be used without the eyecups /with glasses as the metal land seems decently contoured to the point of little fear of abrasion.. More field curvature with the FPO or the Tamron for that matter. My FPO is a VERY used sample however- with decent restored sample the competition might have been closer but I can't think of ajny aspect other then the ergo of a large framed IF being more of a handfull. I looked down the objectives of the 41 and there seems to be a very good chance of improving the optics with blacking of several surfaces stands out. If you happen on a 41, at a reasonable price, get it in a heartbeat as the optics to me are that good with the proviso that it's not a hugely useful all rounder unless you are a minimalist (already have that in hand, don't need another kind of guy) Soewhere I have another good sample of the FPO- have to do some perusing to find it and always get sidetracked looked through all the other binos on top- what fun! Regards, Pat

I've been lucky enough to have owned several Bushnell Rangemasters and SARD Mk 43s over the years. Rangemasters are amazing but nothing compares to the Mk 43. Even though I've sold off my collection, a Mk 43 remains, and will until I'm too feeble to hoist that beast to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back