• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saw Whet Owl (1 Viewer)

joe,

November- early March is the best time to hear Saw Whets. I have heard them on White Top Mnt., Mount Rogers in Va. But they can be found just about anywhere along the Blue Ridge. They have done research on them in Shenandoah NP and on the Eastern Shore of Va. Grandfather Mountain in NC has breeding records and I beleive that Roam Mountain in TN. does as well.
I hope that helps.

joe,

November- early March is the best time to hear Saw Whets. I have heard them on White Top Mnt., Mount Rogers in Va. But they can be found just about anywhere along the Blue Ridge. They have done research on them in Shenandoah NP and on the Eastern Shore of Va. Grandfather Mountain in NC has breeding records and I beleive that Roam Mountain in TN. does as well.
I hope that helps.

That does help. Especially the months you listed. Roam Mountain, White Top, and Mount Rogers sound like a possibility for me.

Thanks so much.

Joe K.

Joe,
Sorry but I feel I should clear somethings up. I wasn't sure that i was right and typed anyway. Since you seem to be interested in southwestern Va and Eastern TN. I feel I should made a better attempt since this is my region as well. I was looking into Richard Knight's book "The Birds of Northeastern Tennessee". He states that they are "Transient/ winter visitor in lowlands (rare Fall and Winter); local summer resident in mountains (occasional to uncommon Spring, Summer, Fall, rare Winter." I think that states everything. But I do want to stress that they can be found anywhere during Winter, Knight has records in Steele Park, Tn and on CBC for Bristol. He also list a few records from Bald Mountain, which is on the same range as Roam. This might help narrow your chances. But he talks about they are more easily found during a irruption year, which this is not. I hope that clears it up for you and for others that might follow the post.

Joe,
Sorry but I feel I should clear somethings up. I wasn't sure that i was right and typed anyway. Since you seem to be interested in southwestern Va and Eastern TN. I feel I should made a better attempt since this is my region as well. I was looking into Richard Knight's book "The Birds of Northeastern Tennessee". He states that they are "Transient/ winter visitor in lowlands (rare Fall and Winter); local summer resident in mountains (occasional to uncommon Spring, Summer, Fall, rare Winter." I think that states everything. But I do want to stress that they can be found anywhere during Winter, Knight has records in Steele Park, Tn and on CBC for Bristol. He also list a few records from Bald Mountain, which is on the same range as Roam. This might help narrow your chances. But he talks about they are more easily found during a irruption year, which this is not. I hope that clears it up for you and for others that might follow the post.

Do you know what season\months they breed? That may be the best time to hear their calls. If they breed in the area.

March- July and that is the only time they call. Remember they nest in cavities. Winter is a good time to see them roosting in conifer trees. Its not as hard as it seems once you know what to look for. Look for dropping around conifer tree and you would be surprised how many owl you can find in the day time. If you could find some nest box try knocking on the tree and if there is an owl inside during breeding they will often stick their heads out. Sounds like Roam and Unaka mountains have the breeding records along with nest boxes. Sounds like that would be the best place to look.

March- July and that is the only time they call. Remember they nest in cavities. Winter is a good time to see them roosting in conifer trees. Its not as hard as it seems once you know what to look for. Look for dropping around conifer tree and you would be surprised how many owl you can find in the day time. If you could find some nest box try knocking on the tree and if there is an owl inside during breeding they will often stick their heads out. Sounds like Roam and Unaka mountains have the breeding records along with nest boxes. Sounds like that would be the best place to look.

Thanks so much for the info. I was thinking about trying March anyway. It's not so much about seeing them, though I would love to, I mainly want to hear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back