• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope sharing etiquette (1 Viewer)

jaco

A note to birders:

When someone allows you and other nearby birders to use their scope to get a better look at something, do not take that as permission to stick your crappy little digital camera against their $600 eyepiece.

Thank you.

If you have a problem then dont offer others a shot then!!

Offer a shot?

Apparently you don't get it.

I'm happy to share my scope, and I like it when others share with me.

But sharing a scope is not an invitation for you to practice digiscoping without asking,
especially if you're like the recent guy who clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Last edited:
People do that?? Wow. Glad no one have done that when I've offered them to look through my scope...

[...]
But sharing a scope is not an invitation for you to practice digiscoping without asking, especially if you're like the recent guy who clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Go and tell this b.........t your guy, hope he got a fine shot through your scope
|=o|

Offer a shot?

Apparently you don't get it.

I'm happy to share my scope, and I like it when others share with me.

But sharing a scope is not an invitation for you to practice digiscoping without asking,
especially if you're like the recent guy who clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Agree dont mind sharing my scope by that would have p%££$d off

Um, dare I post... ? ;)

I've taken pics through other people's scopes - but only after asking. And only occasionally. And folk have been more than happy to oblige on those odd occasions.

But manners are still important. And since there is a real risk of scratching the lens if care is not taken, not something anyone should get into the habit of doing too often ... and one should definitely ask, and not mind at all if the answer is a 'I'd rather you didn't'.

'Accidents' can always happen though. What if someone was using your scope and it got knocked and fell over? ... you'd never be 'generous' with your possessions at all if you think about it too much ...

I find a much more common problem is folk NOT wanting to look through your scope!

You have found something interesting, announce it to the hide and then rather than come and have a look through your scope you have to go through all that " second scrubby bush next to the greenish reeds, no up a bit..." malarkey so that they can have a look through their optics.

Was at an organised viewing station with staff and a row of alpha scopes all pointed at the bird in question. Up walked a chap, asks if the bird can be seen, "yes, look though anyone of these scopes they are all on it". No chap takes off his ruck sack, takes out scope in case and tripod spends ages setting it all up and then has the staff describe where on the featureless hillside to look, eventually finds the spot, but the bird has gone! Curses under his breath, packs it all away and huffs off. 5 minutes later bird is back in the same spot.

I find a much more common problem is folk NOT wanting to look through your scope!

You have found something interesting, announce it to the hide and then rather than come and have a look through your scope you have to go through all that " second scrubby bush next to the greenish reeds, no up a bit..." malarkey so that they can have a look through their optics.

Was at an organised viewing station with staff and a row of alpha scopes all pointed at the bird in question. Up walked a chap, asks if the bird can be seen, "yes, look though anyone of these scopes they are all on it". No chap takes off his ruck sack, takes out scope in case and tripod spends ages setting it all up and then has the staff describe where on the featureless hillside to look, eventually finds the spot, but the bird has gone! Curses under his breath, packs it all away and huffs off. 5 minutes later bird is back in the same spot.

the bird wasn't a Golden Eagle was it by any chance?

And was the bloke wearing a tracksuit and walking with a slightly peculiar gait? Sounds suspiciously like the "speedwalker" of 80s/90s Scilly seasons - bins in case in rucksack as well......

John

Um, dare I post... ? ;)

I've taken pics through other people's scopes - but only after asking. And only occasionally. And folk have been more than happy to oblige on those odd occasions.

But manners are still important. And since there is a real risk of scratching the lens if care is not taken, not something anyone should get into the habit of doing too often ... and one should definitely ask, and not mind at all if the answer is a 'I'd rather you didn't'.

'Accidents' can always happen though. What if someone was using your scope and it got knocked and fell over? ... you'd never be 'generous' with your possessions at all if you think about it too much ...

I absolutely agree. It is just common courtesy to ask to look through or digiscope using someone elses scope.

Two weeks ago, while guiding a goup in Costa Rica, I had my scope set up next to me at an outdoor restaurant in case something good showed up. I decided to put it away though after two non birders walked up and tried to use it without asking (and this is with the scope right next to me, focused on nothing in particular). Why on earth anyone would get the idea that they can walk up and use someone elses optics is beyond me.

I would ask as well. I share my scope out and am not shy about asking folks to be carefull on the spot. Pepole have been one hundred percent fine with that.

I think jaco should perhaps try that approach rather than ranting on at members here where its on the whole preaching to the converted.

I think jaco should perhaps try that approach rather than ranting on at members here where its on the whole preaching to the converted.

Wrong. I had taken my focus off m scope to look at another bird with my bins, thinking the folks I had let look through my scope had more courtesy than that. I guess I was wrong.

And how do you figure that people here are "the converted"? The people who visit these forums are the same people we encounter when we're out birding. "Ranting" here might clue one of them in to the fact that they should be more respectful of other people's equipment.

I shove my crappy little digital camera up to the £250 eyepiece on my Kowa scope, and have done for the last 2 years and do you know what... it has not caused any damage at all to the eyepiece.
Lighten up Jaco.....if you don't like people using your eyepiece for digital photography don't let people use your scope at all.
I've let loads of people view birds through my scope, and take pics using their 'crappy little digital cameras' and my scope. The joy you can see on a person's face when they get a close up view of some thing like a singing whitethroat surely outweighs the miniscule chance of them harming your eyepiece.

"if you don't like people using your eyepiece for digital photography don't let people use your scope at all."

That doesn't make any sense.

Its all right Jaco, I agree with you, others won't - there is a difference between being kind and offering to let people use your gear than someone stepping beyond the mark. I've experienced similar "taking the mick" and then thought twice afterwards.
Each to their own I guess.

the bird wasn't a Golden Eagle was it by any chance?

And was the bloke wearing a tracksuit and walking with a slightly peculiar gait? Sounds suspiciously like the "speedwalker" of 80s/90s Scilly seasons - bins in case in rucksack as well......

John

Was that m m m Michael John?

I have a rule, don't share Food, Binoculars/Scope or women. In that order!!

As for birders not wanting to see a bird through your scope I can reason with that. There's something about ticking birds through others optics that just doesn't seem right - I will always try and see it through my scope first and usually try and find it for myself!!

I've never been asked to loan my scope, and likewise have, when been out lightweight and scopeless, never asked to look through another birders scope. I have,however, offered my scope zillions of times, and have also been offered a peek through others scope's.
So? It all evens out in the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back