• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused: Swarovski, Zeiss, 8x, 10x (2 Viewers)

Fantastic optics those Meostars (y)
Indeed they are but the focusers are rather variable in their 'feel' and can be smooth in some parts of their travel but somewhat rough elsewhere. Of course this does not affect the view but some folks may find this distracting.

You have to keep in mind that there are people who are never content with anything.

They embark on a never-ending quest for an item which exists only in their head, and they are always disappointed with the actual item which exists in the real world.

Needless to say, the quest never ends, and reality is never good enough.

You have to keep in mind that there are people who are never content with anything.

They embark on a never-ending quest for an item which exists only in their head, and they are always disappointed with the actual item which exists in the real world.

Chasing happiness is the greatest enemy of contentment.....

That is not the norm.

Most normal people buy something, and then use it, rather than obsessing over how much they can get for it after the next thing catches their eye, or they are tired of it, or their constant search for flaws makes them unhappy with it.

Don’t fall into that trap.
IMO....you don't resent the people that do this, you love them! Because they're selling you like-new binoculars in the classifieds at a $600 or $700 discount.

What did I not like about the SF lens covers? As I recall it's a rigid piece of plastic designed to hang off the binos on a tether (leash). Clunky....yes. I did like the ocular cover, I actually bought a couple more for my old porros, but I don't use the lens covers. I keep the binos in a Swarovski field bag most of the time. When I'm using them, I don't use any lens cover at all. In my use, the lenses don't get dirt on them or need cleaning for long periods of time.

This morning I went to another shop and was able to try the SF 8x32 and NL 8x32 again and also for the first time the NL 8x42. The difference with the last time I tested these binoculairs was the bright sun that shines today.
All three showed glare, the SF 32 en NL 42 the least, de NL 32 a little bit more. I don't wear glasses and use the eyecups in the most expanded way. The eyecups always rest against/under my eyebrows. By taking the pressure from my eyebrows I saw most, maybe even all glaring vanish. This was easy to do, so it seems the glaring issue is not a big one for me.
Strangely this time I felt my eyelashes against or within the eyecups of the SF! Didn't have this experience the last time.

All this experiences were a little superficial, because I only tested them maybe for 10 minutes outside of the shop. But nonetheless I begin to favour the NL 8x32.
And what about the NL 8x42? This is a very nice one, and maybe because of the less glare preferable to the others, but also 200 gram heavier ....

Last edited:
This morning I went to another shop and was able to try the SF 8x32 and NL 8x32 again and also for the first time the NL 8x42. The difference with the last time I tested these binoculairs was the bright sun that shines today.
All three showed glare, the SF 32 en NL 42 the least, de NL 32 a little bit more. I don't wear glasses and use the eyecups in the most expanded way. The eyecups always rest against/under my eyebrows. By taking the pressure from my eyebrows I saw most, maybe even all glaring vanish. This was easy to do, so it seems the glaring issue is not a big one for me.
Strangely this time I felt my eyelashes against or within the eyecups of the SF! Didn't have this experience the last time.

All this experiences were a little superficial, because I only tested them maybe for 10 minutes outside of the shop. But nonetheless I begin to favour the NL 8x32.
And what about the NL 8x42? This is a very nice one, and maybe because of the less glare preferable to the others, but als 200 gram heavier ....
Excellent, nothing like hands and eyes on!

I noticed glare last week in the intense sun with my NL 10x42's for the first time (not a regular occurance in Mid-Wales!). It didn't bother me to be honest, a quick repositioning of me and the bino's did the trick.

But I did notice it and although I use the forehead rest and keep the cups well into my eyes, I decided to order a pair of the winged eyecups.....absolutely brilliant. No glare, no periferal vision at all and as an added bonus, the eyepiece cover that comes with them is an excellent fit. Keeps the rain and the wind, which was blowing with a vengeance this morning, off your eyes too.

The original is a PIA, is a very tight fit and invariably moves one or both eye pieces when removing.

I joined this forum back in 2008 when my Leitz 7x35 Trinovids finally bit the dust and I decided to buy a nice replacement. Most of my buddies at that time had Swarovski ELs or SLCs, so I was leaning that direction. After taking ELs and an Ultravid home for the weekend, I ended up liking the EL more.

But by then I was hooked on this forum, and accepting every tiny critique as a huge problem. No binocular seemed immune to trouble, CA, rolling ball, depth of field, perceived lack of sharpness, color tint, 3D or lack there of, glare, oh my was my head spinning. I bought three more bins over the next year. All that and I found myself looking for faults in my binoculars and obsessing over them rather than just enjoying the view. I finally said enough and dropped out of the forum for ten years and just used my binoculars. My enjoyment went way up. I’ve come back, but with a different attitude. I feel like the state of the art has finally surpassed my early 2000 Ultravids enough to justify an upgrade. I’m 73 now, so these will be my last big optical purchase. I’ll take my time deciding with a good understanding that all our eyes, faces and taste are different, so my decision will be based on actual in hand use. That said I still value other opinions and experiences, that’s why I’m here.

I joined this forum back in 2008 when my Leitz 7x35 Trinovids finally bit the dust and I decided to buy a nice replacement. Most of my buddies at that time had Swarovski ELs or SLCs, so I was leaning that direction. After taking ELs and an Ultravid home for the weekend, I ended up liking the EL more.

But by then I was hooked on this forum, and accepting every tiny critique as a huge problem. No binocular seemed immune to trouble, CA, rolling ball, depth of field, perceived lack of sharpness, color tint, 3D or lack there of, glare, oh my was my head spinning. I bought three more bins over the next year. All that and I found myself looking for faults in my binoculars and obsessing over them rather than just enjoying the view. I finally said enough and dropped out of the forum for ten years and just used my binoculars. My enjoyment went way up. I’ve come back, but with a different attitude. I feel like the state of the art has finally surpassed my early 2000 Ultravids enough to justify an upgrade. I’m 73 now, so these will be my last big optical purchase. I’ll take my time deciding with a good understanding that all our eyes, faces and taste are different, so my decision will be based on actual in hand use. That said I still value other opinions and experiences, that’s why I’m here.
Welcome back.

these will be my last big optical purchase. I’ll take my time deciding with a good understanding that all our eyes, faces and taste are different, so my decision will be based on actual in hand use. That said I still value other opinions and experiences, that’s why I’m here.
I feel the same about my upcoming purchase, being not the youngest anymore.
I totally understand the way you used to look earlier at (possible) flaws other people mentioned and searching for them.

That said I still value other opinions and experiences, that’s why I’m here.
If you can't try them in person you may have to buy & try to get it right. I find that the ergonomics are most important for me. Most of the stuff people obsess over falls by the wayside for me. I want the lightest one, the easiest grip, the most tolerant eye placement, best focuser.

What size are you thinking for your big upgrade?

btw PIA or PITA = pain in the arse :)

Last edited:
If you can't try them in person you may have to buy & try to get it right. I find that the ergonomics are most important for me. Most of the stuff people obess over falls by the wayside for me. I want the lightest one, the easiest grip, the most tolerant eye placement, best focuser.

What size are you thinking for your big upgrade?

btw PIA or PITA = pain in the arse :)
I’m extremely fortunate to have a shop nearby that carries a full line of Nikon, Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Vortex, so I will be using them side by side, indoors, outdoors in all different lighting conditions.

I'm sure you'd appreciate the 10x with the open lands of the mountain West, you'll definitely need it at times. The optics store sounds wonderful, we have one here that stocks everything but Leica. I knew I wanted to support them when it came time to buy my uber-premium new binos which turned out to be 8x42 SF's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back