• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Siskins everywhere ! (1 Viewer)

beaker

Andy Firth
On my garden this morning their were 24 siskins they are now and have been for a few weeks the commenest bird by far visiting. Is anyone else experiencing this welcome bonus.

Andy Firth

beaker said:
On my garden this morning their were 24 siskins they are now and have been for a few weeks the commenest bird by far visiting. Is anyone else experiencing this welcome bonus.

Andy Firth
Best yet for us 4 this morning.

Yes quite a few in the area as quite a few people I speak to where I work have all had visits of late.

I wonder if this is a sign of a lack of food in the countryside?

Incidentally I have 7 visiting.

Last season we had the same thing, Sinsiks were about the most common bird, counted maybe up to 16 at once. Now just recently we started getting some again, usually about 4 or so at a time.

First arrival around Christmas, then numbers slowly built up until about 2 weeks ago when lots arrived - currently have about 40 twittering away in the trees and visiting feeders. Sunflower hearts and niger are preferred, with some going onto peanuts if theres no free feeder perches. Brilliant little birds!

Had a male in song on my local patch on saturday - quite a turn up for the books considering the highest winter count has been about 12!!! There were also a lot flitting around bedgebury pinetum that afternoon

beaker - I see you're in Cheshire - here in Macclesfield we've had plenty of siskins this past couple of months. My garden backs onto the Bollin and there are a couple of large alders on the bank which usually have a couple of dozen siskins flitting about them. Occasional larger flocks this winter - up to a guesstimated 200 or so, but this appears to be a roosting group which breaks into the smaller parties in the daytime for feeding.

beaker said:

Andy Firth

send some up here matey!!! I've been trying for ages to get Siskin in my back garden - 2 or 3 visit the garden opposite every day. So if you would can ya send some, I've got greedy neighbours. I'll even send a stamped and addressed envelope. (only joking!!)

the bird said:
send some up here matey!!! I've been trying for ages to get Siskin in my back garden - 2 or 3 visit the garden opposite every day. So if you would can ya send some, I've got greedy neighbours. I'll even send a stamped and addressed envelope. (only joking!!)

Our high number was in late February and we had around 50 in my neighbor's backyard where I was watching.

Today I had around 15-20 competing with the goldfinches for the 12 perches on my niger feeders.

I havn't seen any in my garden so far this year, the most I've had in is 5 but they're fairly regular usually turning up in Feb-March. Still time yet I suppose.

beaker said:

Andy Firth

There are plenty of Siskin around the Harrogate area this winter, RHS Harlow Carr gardens has a lot that come to the feeders in the Plant Centre daily, regularly get a dozen on the feeders but at least 40/50 in the gardens.

Cheers ANDY

Well, I thought ours had gone, but in the last week they (?) have returned with their buddies.

Certainly 6, perhaps 7, the best this week.

About 15 Siskins this morning!

4 on the feeders, 2 or 3 around the ground table, 2 - 4 in the shrubs and about 7 or 8 hoovering up at the bottom of the feeder pole.

WOW!

About 50+ are now arriving first thing in the morning making quite a noise. I am ground-feeding also now due to lack of free feeder perches. Also 3 Redpolls joining in.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back