• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bird on wire (1 Viewer)

columbidae

I could use some help if anyone else has any ideas. I was on a bird walk yesterday morning at one of our local nature preserves. On a high power line was perched a small bird--warbler size, with a thin, straight beak also typical of some kind of warbler. At a great distance, its front appeared either light gray or yellow, depending on which angle I looked from and how the sun was hitting it. On the throat there appeared a patch of either reddish or rust-color, again depending on the angle to the sun. The back and tail feathers appeared gray, but when it flew to a new position on the wire I could see a flash of blue.

The bird was perched on a wire on the power line right-of-way through a heavily forested area. Periodically it would fly off its perch, appearing to chase after insects, and then return to the line.

I'm thinking northern parula, but in the photos I've seen of this bird it seems like the colors contrast more. Does anyone have any other ideas? I know this description is somewhat vague, but again it was at a great distance.

Dan

Not sure Dan but I believe we have some shots of the northern parula in the gallery. Have you tried doing a search and comparing?

Dan, it's been a long time since I was in your part of the country, but I can't think of (or find, in my old National Geographic guide) anything else with that combination of yellow-- and the reddish band-- under, and bluish/grayish above. Northern Parula's a pretty common warbler too, as I recall. If you stretched your imagination-- and the bird by several inches-- you might get a young E. bluebird, but I think you got it right the first time. As you say, light can do a lot to change colors.

Good birding,

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back