• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some French Mysteries (1 Viewer)

quiz time! and we have plenty of blurs in the heat haze!

Attachments

• quiz liesle.jpg
    quiz liesle.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
  • quiz liesle 2.jpg
    quiz liesle 2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 53
  • quiz osselle.jpg
    quiz osselle.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 50
  • quiz pagney.jpg
    quiz pagney.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 59
  • quiz pagney 2.jpg
    quiz pagney 2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 52
Whinchat, Linnet, Melodious Warbler, Wheatear and Wryneck.

Phil has got it!

We don't use the word Ortolan - that's a very sore point! as while I was walking round the fields where I took the linnet, there were three of the unspeakables that appeared where I'd taken the wheatear - would have been a lifer). :C

Icterine is a very rare species in my region, just one or two pairs hanging on in the North.

It's a great shame you haven't seen this delightful bird. But, it is little wonder...:(

http://migration.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/france-and-ortolan-trapping/

despicable practice, I've never understood this idea of 'local tolerance' - the law is the law across the entire country. But what do you expect when even Mitterand ate ortolans at his last presidential dinner. Got to say though, things are changing for the better in France - I meet so many newbies with binoculars when I go out, all potential pressure on the governement to actually put their laws into practice.

Just got back from dipping an ortolan in my town - I'm sure they have something against me.

Here are some quizzicals from yesterday.

Attachments

• quiz 1.jpg
    quiz 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 50
  • quiz 2.jpg
    quiz 2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 46
  • quiz 3.jpg
    quiz 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 56
  • quiz 5.jpg
    quiz 5.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56
  • quiz 6.jpg
    quiz 6.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 49
1 - Skylark
2 - Pied Flycatcher
3 - Spotted Flycatcher
4 - Wood Sandpiper
5 - Garden Warbler

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back