• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony SEL 200-600 or a Super-zoom for 4K video (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

I have been considering to get a SEL 200-600 also for video (besides BIFs...), but recently have been close to some super-zoom owners that get reasonable BIFs, and I started to think that a Super-zoom not too large, as a Canon SX70, would be more useful and would save me money and gear volume to transport... I know that the Sony RX10IV is a great camera but doesn't have the video reach I need, besides being a lot more money than the example given...
I still have a a6000 (I'm waiting for an higher pixel version...), that I use for photographing birds and doing videos through astro-telescopes, as well as with digiscopy through a Swaro X95 - will be replaced one day by a X115 - I have the Swaro digi-adapter for compact cameras that can be used with the a6000.
Anyone has/had similar dilemma, what purchased and what concluded with practical experience?

In the past I've birded with DSLR's + long primes, with superzooms and since last week with an SEL 200-600 and there isnt any competition for the 200-600 from any superzoom, even if you would pair the Sony with the most obsolete NEX. Once I have contemplated the same options as you are now and to offer you the best possible advice considering bird footage and BIF: just get the Sony and dont waste your money on subpar quality. The superzooms will never resolve as much fine detail as the Sony does and while the latter is part of a modular setup, which will (optionally) get even better with every new Sony (cam) release, the superzoom will lose its value very quickly for being a fixed device. The 200-600 will simply keep most of its value, its like a Canon L lens in that way (and just as good or perhaps even better considering the addition of Sony's superior AF capabilities).

Superzooms and modular systems are even more incomparable when considering BIF, a superzoom will always be a compromise while a modular system is a specialized tool designed to be fast and accurate while sporting a superior sensor to top it off.

Both options are available but in the end the budget version of the story will never get you the footage and/or the pictures you really want. The ergonomics are also miles apart, the Sony will get you most of the difficult shots with comfort and ease while a superzoom translates into a struggle to get few acceptable shots.

Last edited:
In the past I've birded with DSLR's + long primes, with superzooms and since last week with an SEL 200-600 and there isnt any competition for the 200-600 from any superzoom, even if you would pair the Sony with the most obsolete NEX. Once I have contemplated the same options as you are now and to offer you the best possible advice considering bird footage and BIF: just get the Sony and dont waste your money on subpar quality. The superzooms will never resolve as much fine detail as the Sony does and while the latter is part of a modular setup, which will (optionally) get even better with every new Sony (cam) release, the superzoom will lose its value very quickly for being a fixed device. The 200-600 will simply keep most of its value, its like a Canon L lens in that way (and just as good or perhaps even better considering the addition of Sony's superior AF capabilities).

Superzooms and modular systems are even more incomparable when considering BIF, a superzoom will always be a compromise while a modular system is a specialized tool designed to be fast and accurate while sporting a superior sensor to top it off.

Both options are available but in the end the budget version of the story will never get you the footage and/or the pictures you really want. The ergonomics are also miles apart, the Sony will get you most of the difficult shots with comfort and ease while a superzoom translates into a struggle to get few acceptable shots.
Thanks for your reply.
What's the percentage of your use for video, regarding the SEL 200-600?
I know that the SEL 200-600 should be great for BIFs and bird photography. My doubt is how it compares for video...

I decided to go for a used Sony 70-350 to replace my Sony 55-210 and for a Canon SX70 (didn't purchase it, since the used one I was going to purchase had dust in the sensor...). As the 70-350 lens is great, super-sharp and allows the use of the 2x digital zoom without loosing much image quality, I decided to not purchase a superzoom for now.
I already tested a SEL 200-600 but decided to delay my purchase decision until I get the next A6*** with the next generation >=33MP sensor... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back