• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (5 Viewers)

|:D||:D||:D|:eek!::eek!::eek!:

Allan! I'm still unpacking!!!!

At the moment I can only sit at the computer for short periods (back spasm) so you'll have to be patient! I go back and forth, downloading a few pics at a time, doing a bit of unpacking, a bit of sitting, a bit more computer - its very tedious. But I'm getting there . . . .

You'll have to talk back spasms with Martin - many years ago he spent some time on our family room floor with back spasms. I think it was because he was losing at golf and wanted some sympathy, and my wife waited on him hand and foot. She never did that for me :C

Allan

Yesterday morning we noticed a Barn Owl perched in the trees next to the house. We had seen Barn Owls on a few occasions in the past, but had not seen any for the past two years.
It sat in the tree all day despite being constantly harassed by everything from Masked Weavers to Grey Louries, which at times were only a few centimeters away from it whilst shouting “Go away”!! all it did was waiver from side to side when the harassment got really close.
The last time the neighbour saw one was a few years ago when they used to nest in the eaves of their house every year, and then they moved out and were never seen again.
I hope they are back to stay, as they are lovely looking birds.

Martin

Fantastic. I just love these birds, though I haven't seen one in the wild for a long time. I used to see them often in the Cotswolds when we were living in Gloucester, but none here in Surrey. There is a Tawny Owl calling frequently at night recently though.

We did go to a BOP sanctuary some time ago and had a trained Barn Owl flying around us. With eyes closed it was impossible to tell if he was flying close by as he was so quiet.

Great pics by the way.

Allan

Sal,
terrific photos and scene-setting writing again. I'm really envious. We had planned to be in SA in November, but couldn't make it. We are now trying to sort out a timetable for next year, but work (or rather lack of it at the moment) is making planning a bit difficult.

Getting withdrawl symptoms again. :-C

Allan

Here you go Sal

Johns text - copied and pasted . (I'll try the photos now !)

This will be a summarised report, basically because there is far too much to write about that covers the time we were in South Africa, which was from Nov 9th - 29th 2009. To cover it all in any detail would probably become boring to read to most of you. There were three of us on this trip. David, Ivan & myself. David's daughter lives in South Africa and David has an apartment there as well, including having a car & trailer as well which was used throughout for the travelling and camping we did.

This trip report will have links to pages of photos and as there were so many photos taken it will become a work in progress for a while whilst I cover all of them.

The weather news wasn't good as Ivan & I received a text from David (who was already in the cape Town area) that said "Massive gales with torrential rain for 36 hrs. More forecast, Pelagic unlikely" Thankfully upon our arrival at Cape Town the rain had stopped and it was occasionally sunny, although very windy.

Nov 9th. After our long flight from Heathrow via Abhu Dhabi, (where we found a bird in the Terminal that was new to us (it was a White-cheeked Bulbul) then a connecting flight from Joberg to Cape Town it was decided to go to Stranfontein to do the first day's birding.

On the way to Stranfontein we were treated to a roadside grass verge that had Hadeda, Sacred & Glossy Ibis & Blackl-headed Heron feeding close to the road. This was in a built up area and really surprised two of us (David is a regular visitor and is used to it) but that was only the start of three weeks of surprises. Stranfontein was a good place to start our birding and many lifers were found, mainly wildfowl but included other birds such as Darter, Y B Kite, African Marsh Harrier & many more.

Nov 10th. The day of the Pelagic and we chose a very windy day that gradually got worse and worse until it was aborted about 2 hours early due to very rough seas. We were being tossed about like rag dolls and it wasn't the most comfortable of situations with which to watch this superb spectacle of seabirds. Sadly I had to get down from the higher deck as I couldn't photograph anything. If I tried I either got one of the other birders heads in the way or if I stood up I was in danger of being tipped overboard so I went to the lower deck where I was on my own.

This had two effects. One, I couldn't hear the guide on what birds were about and two the huge waves were actually going higher than the boat which caused the birds to disappear out of view. Added to that I was hanging on for dear life and you can see the problems I was having. Hence I missed a few lifers and year birds. I did get Shy, Yellow nosed & Black-browed Albatross as well as White-chinned and Pintado Petrel but I missed out on the Southern Giant Petrel & Great Shearwater plus a few others that my friends saw.

The actual Pelagic was aborted early because the conditions were getting too severe and we arrived back at Simonstown just before 2pm after a very lumpy ride back.

As we were back so early it was decided to move onto Boulders Beach after the African Penguins. It felt surreal watching these penguins just sitting under bushes or out in the open at the side of the boardwalk but it was well worth the visit. Whilst there a few more new birds entered the log such as Black Oystercatcher and Lesser Double-collared Sunbird.

The end of Nov 10th was horrendous with a fierce gale and torrential rain sweeping the Cape, with a lot more forecasted for nearly a week, so it was decided on the morning of the 11th to pack up two days early (we had planned for four days in the Cape). Our next recognised stop was for Garingboom but we managed to find an area that was free of the bad weather at Karoo N.P and so we made a one night camp there.

Nov 11th.

On our drive to Karoo we added a few new birds to the trip with Blue Crane (Lifer) Black-shouldered Kite, Red-eyed Bulbul (Lifer), Ostrich (Lifer) &Black Crow (Lifer) &Southern Red Bishop (Lifer).

By late afternoon we had camped up at Karoo NP under a fine blue sky and warm temperatures. We had spotted a pool not far from the visitors centre and decided to finish off the day around there and also a short drive up one of the tracks. The pool was fairly productive with Southern Red Bishop, African Marsh Warbler, Southern Masked Weaver plus quite a few Greater-striped Swallows that were using the pool for drinking on the wing. On the short drive we found a few lifers such as Rufous-eared Warbler. Mountain Chat, Familiar Chat & White throated Canary.

Nov 12th

Karoo N.'P.

We woke up to a tremendous dawn chorus. Birds were everywhere. I had spread a little bird seed not far away from the tents and not long after it started to get light quite a few birds came down to feed on it. Amongst them was the stunning Southern Red Bishop. Many others came down such as Cape Sparrow, Cape Wagtail, Laughing Dove, Red-eyed Bulbul, Southern Masked Weaver, Cape Turtle Dove &Red-winged Starling, It soon became evident that most of them were not afraid of humans as not long after they were all over the camp. Even on our breakfast plates then picking up bits we had dropped right by our feet. This was a real treat. After a while we had a walk around the camp and found a few more lifers and year ticks such as Rock Martin, Cape White-eye, Fiscal Flycatcher, Karoo Robin, Karoo Thrush, White-backed Mousebird, Cape Robin-chat, Fiscal Shrike, whilst above us was White-rumped Swift & Booted Eagle. We decided to do a dive on one of the tracks for about three hours before packing up for our drive to Garingboom. Birdwise it was not that productive but we did add Ludwigs Bustard, Sicklewinged Chat, Southern Ant-eating Chat and the beautiful Pale-chanting Goshawk to the ever growing list.

Our trip to Garingboom was a long one but it did produce one lifer (Verraux's Eagle) and one trip tick (Kestrel) on the way. We arrived there quite late but still found a few Lesser Kestrel on the final approach track plus we managed one lifer as we arrived as a Crested Barbet was pointed out to us by the owners.

Nov 13th

Garingboom B&B

What an amazing day. The Griesel's own the place and his wife, Riette offered to take us on a two / three hour drive around their huge farm for a donation to the Raptor Fund they help support. This turned out to be about five plus hours as there was so much to take in. I can highly recommend staying at Garingboom and using Riette as a guide. She is a brilliant guide and knows her territory like the back of her hand. Here is a link to their web site. http://www.garingboom.co.za/

We ended up with an incredible list of birds here, including a Juv Pale-chanting Goshawk, Double-banded Courser, Namaqua Sandgrouse, Namaqua Dove, Kittlitz's Plover, Cinnamon-breasted Rock Bunting, Quail Finch, Clapper Lark, Northern Black Korhaan, Desert Cisticola, Capped Wheatear, Kimberley Pipit, Red-capped Lark, Spike-heeled Lark, Plainbacked Pipit, Blackchested Prinia, Buffy Pipit, Yellow Canary, Tink-Tink Cisticola, Eastern-paradise Whydah, Blue Crane, Ludwigs Bustard & Secretary Bird. In the buildings area we had a pair of Redthroated Wryneck and a Fiscal Shrike with young of the Western Race. Also around the buildings and trees were Speckled Mousebird and on the railings around the swimming pool a couple of White-throated Swallow.

There is a small bird hide over a pool about a mile from the complex so I made my way there in this beautiful weather and spent a couple of leisurely hours just sitting there watching the birds, mainly Southern Masked Weavers, Red-eyed Bulbuls, and Red-billed Quela's but I also added Orange-throated Longclaw, Cinnamon-breasted Bunting & Three-banded Plover to the list whilst there. On the way back to the complex I also added Neddicky as well.

That was it for Garingboom as we were to leave at about 04.30am the next day for sani.

Well that didn't work- I can only copy the text - so its save image at a time - I havent got the time at the mo.
the photos are excellent! so when you can its worth a visit - the Alberts are great!

Here is one that I certainly didn't get when I was in SA -Photographer John Jennings

Attachments

• African Marsh Warbler 2327.jpg
    African Marsh Warbler 2327.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 72
A couple of animal photo's - John Jennings - photographer

Attachments

• Male  Lion 6359.jpg
    Male Lion 6359.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 44
  • White Rhino 4581.jpg
    White Rhino 4581.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 51
I am leaving next week for a trip around South Africa over New Year, found plenty of useful stuff on this thread so thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Would any have any advise on the best places to try for Cape Eagle Owl, I would REALLY like to see it, ditto for Pel's Fish Owl if there is any recent gen.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

Atlassing in KwaZulu-Natal

Hi all

Some pics from a recent atlassing trip. The Cape Foxes were at Chelmsford Dam, where we stayed overnight, and the Black-bellied Bustard, White-throated Swallows and African Cuckoo were near Normandien (south of Newcastle). This was the first time I was able to photograph an African Cuckoo - fortunately he (it even called to confirm that he was not a Common Cuckoo) seemed quite secure on high power line and allowed me to get quite close.

For more on the Southern African Bird Atlas Project (SABAP2) see http://sabap2.adu.org.za/index.php.

Cheers
Alan

Attachments

• 2009_12_06 Black-bellied Bustard.jpg
    2009_12_06 Black-bellied Bustard.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 50
  • 2009_12_06 White-throated Swallow.jpg
    2009_12_06 White-throated Swallow.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 2009_12_06 African Cuckoo.jpg
    2009_12_06 African Cuckoo.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 39
  • 2009_12_05 Cape Fox.jpg
    2009_12_05 Cape Fox.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 39
Yesterday's atlassing

Yesterday we left late and only got to our target grid square (Lowlands, which is about 15 km south of Estcourt) at 10:20, but the birding started really well, with Blue Crane, African Fish-Eagle, Amur Falcon and Cape Vulture in the first ten minutes! Later I was really chuffed to get a pair of Cuckoo Finch (scarce in KZN) looking for Cisticola nests (pics 1 and 2) right next to the road. The third pic is of a Wing-snapping Cisticola, the probable prospective host of these brood parasites. Later we also got a European Roller, also not the most common bird in KZN. In all we got 76 species in less than three hours birding along a district road just 10 minutes from the N3!

Attachments

• 2009_12_13 Cuckoo Finch male.jpg
    2009_12_13 Cuckoo Finch male.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2009_12_13 Cuckoo Finch female.jpg
    2009_12_13 Cuckoo Finch female.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 2009_12_13 12_03_15 1594.jpg
    2009_12_13 12_03_15 1594.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2009_12_13 Roller.jpg
    2009_12_13 Roller.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 39
You'll have to talk back spasms with Martin - many years ago he spent some time on our family room floor with back spasms. I think it was because he was losing at golf and wanted some sympathy, and my wife waited on him hand and foot. She never did that for me :C

Allan

:-O:-O You'll have to perfect the spasm Allan! ;) Obviously those fake ones you tried were not convincing enough . . . . Believe me I was in no condition to care whether anyone won at golf, tennis or tiddleywinks so I do have some sympathy if his WERE real - you never know with you two, but you do make me laugh.

Sal,
terrific photos and scene-setting writing again. I'm really envious. We had planned to be in SA in November, but couldn't make it. We are now trying to sort out a timetable for next year, but work (or rather lack of it at the moment) is making planning a bit difficult.

Getting withdrawl symptoms again. :-C

Allan

Thanks - sorry you couldn't make it again this year, hope things pick up soon.

Here you go Sal

Johns text - copied and pasted . (I'll try the photos now !)

Terrific! Thanks so much Drocopus, I enjoyed reading that. I still cant get in to half the websites that I want to and my service provider is still hunting up the cause . . . . Thanks for posting some pics too, much appreciated.

Hi all

Some pics from a recent atlassing trip. The Cape Foxes were at Chelmsford Dam, where we stayed overnight, and the Black-bellied Bustard, White-throated Swallows and African Cuckoo were near Normandien (south of Newcastle). This was the first time I was able to photograph an African Cuckoo - fortunately he (it even called to confirm that he was not a Common Cuckoo) seemed quite secure on high power line and allowed me to get quite close.

Great photo of the African Cuckoo Alan - I've never seen one. Quite a handsome bird.

Yesterday we left late and only got to our target grid square (Lowlands, which is about 15 km south of Estcourt) at 10:20, but the birding started really well, with Blue Crane, African Fish-Eagle, Amur Falcon and Cape Vulture in the first ten minutes! Later I was really chuffed to get a pair of Cuckoo Finch (scarce in KZN) looking for Cisticola nests (pics 1 and 2) right next to the road. The third pic is of a Wing-snapping Cisticola, the probable prospective host of these brood parasites. Later we also got a European Roller, also not the most common bird in KZN. In all we got 76 species in less than three hours birding along a district road just 10 minutes from the N3!

Sounds like a fantastic day. I've never seen a Cuckoo Finch either and I was really surprised to see the European Roller. Great pics, thanks for posting.

I am leaving next week for a trip around South Africa over New Year, found plenty of useful stuff on this thread so thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Would any have any advise on the best places to try for Cape Eagle Owl, I would REALLY like to see it, ditto for Pel's Fish Owl if there is any recent gen.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob I cant really answer your question. I have seen Cape eagle Owls in the Kamberg region of Kwa-Zulu Natal but I believe they are more common in the Western Cape. Dave or Alan (Manson) would probably be able to give you a better answer. As for the Pels - I guess Botswana may be your best bet. Ndumo in Northern KZN also has them. In both these places a guide would give you a much better chance. At Ndumo, guides are mandatory for any of the walks and visits to the pans. I once saw and adult with a young one on the Olifants River in Kruger but their numbers there have declined considerably in the last ten years or so, your chances would be slim. A better place is in the Northern part of the park where they have been seen near Parfuri in the last year. Someone has also seen a breeding pair on the road between Balule and Olifants (just before the open plain [Guineafowl turn] where the road turns away from the river towards Olifants) this year.

I hope someone else is able to give you more info, and that you enjoy your time in South Africa.

Terrific photos Sal and Alan!

Unfortunately my computer has decided to run out of disk space... almost. I have no idea whats taking up so much space, but it means I cant browse the internet on my computer - I have to use someone else's! Therefore I dont get much time on the internet. I will try upload some photos in a bit...

Thanks Nick. How infuriating about your computer.

I am going away for a few days so next Kruger episode will have to wait till I get back.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Have not seen either myself (the boffins say that I need to look harder at more cliffs for the CEO) - but I posted your request on sabirdnet - 2 replies so far:

Hi Alan
There are details and a map on my Facebook Page Wall of where we recently saw a Pel’s Fishing-Owl. http://www.facebook.com/EverythingBirding (Drotsky's Cabins, Botswana)
Regards
Ian Grant 082-455-0890
www.EverythingBirding.co.za

Hi Alan
To my mind the best road in the country for Cape Eagle owl is the gravel
road which leaves Kamieskroon heading towards Leliesfontein in the Cape. I
have travelled up that road twice just after dark. The first time we saw at
least 6 owls every 200 metres sitting on the telephone posts just 2
kilometres out of Kamieskroon. The second time wasn’t so great - we only saw 3 owls. You should drive no more than 10 k's up the road. Your chances
should be 90% plus
Ndumu and Mkuze NR's In KZN are probably your best bets for Pels (in South Africa)
Regards
Ken

Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan and Sal,

All useful stuff, will let you know if I have any success. My only chance of Pel's on the route we are doing will be Mkhuzi, have a trip planned to Shakawe next year as a back up for this one.

Will certainly try Ken's spot for CEO.

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Have not seen either myself (the boffins say that I need to look harder at more cliffs for the CEO) - but I posted your request on sabirdnet - 2 replies so far:

Hi Alan
There are details and a map on my Facebook Page Wall of where we recently saw a Pel’s Fishing-Owl. http://www.facebook.com/EverythingBirding (Drotsky's Cabins, Botswana)
Regards
Ian Grant 082-455-0890
www.EverythingBirding.co.za

Hi Alan
To my mind the best road in the country for Cape Eagle owl is the gravel
road which leaves Kamieskroon heading towards Leliesfontein in the Cape. I
have travelled up that road twice just after dark. The first time we saw at
least 6 owls every 200 metres sitting on the telephone posts just 2
kilometres out of Kamieskroon. The second time wasn’t so great - we only saw 3 owls. You should drive no more than 10 k's up the road. Your chances
should be 90% plus
Ndumu and Mkuze NR's In KZN are probably your best bets for Pels (in South Africa)
Regards
Ken

Cheers
Alan

Terrific photos Sal and Alan!

Unfortunately my computer has decided to run out of disk space... almost. I have no idea whats taking up so much space, but it means I cant browse the internet on my computer - I have to use someone else's! Therefore I dont get much time on the internet. I will try upload some photos in a bit...

Hi Nick,
I just had this with my computer. I've been doing a lot of video editing lately (my father-in-law took lots of cine film when they were living in India, which my wife has had transferred onto DVD, hence the editing), and some very large temporary files were created (think 10Gb each :eek!:) in a folder I didn't even know about.
I found the problem by right-clicking the mouse on each folder in the C-drive and selecting "Properties". That shows the size of the folder (and sub-folders) so you can narrow down where the problem is.
Another option is to buy an external drive, which are quite cheap nowadays. 1Tb drives can be bought in the UK for £55.

Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back