• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (5 Viewers)

Dave I saw Mocking Cliff-chats in Kruger in March 1997 and April 1998. I'm afraid I have put away the notebooks from that time so I can't tell you where I saw them, but they were both further south than yours. Satara or below.

Thanks, Sal.

He was accompanied by a female, so one might assume that they are not only living, but breeding along the H9. It's always great to come up with things one hasn't noted previously.

Best wishes,
Dave

PS - I have posted some KNP reptiles on the Reptiles and Amphibians forum

Last edited:
Sal and Dave - great pics, especially your AHE Sal.

Finally I have got around to cropping some pics - so here they are...

First 3 are from Monavale Vlei yesterday. The 'specials' havent arrived yet - it isnt wet enough - but the widows and bishops were in full colour.
1. European Roller was a nice find for the day.
2. A pair of Gabar Goshawks were flying around when I arrived - this is the female.
3. Male Yellow-Mantled Widowbird

Interesting to note we heard Black Coucal at Monavale - normally isnt around for another month

The next 2 from Borrowdale Brooke
4. Red-Chested Cuckoo
5. African Paradise-Flycatcher

Attachments

• DSC_3598.JPG
    DSC_3598.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_3607.JPG
    DSC_3607.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_3712.JPG
    DSC_3712.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_3498.JPG
    DSC_3498.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_3752.JPG
    DSC_3752.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
And some more from Borrowdale Brooke

1. Purple Heron
2. This Common Moorhen made a nest next to this... metal thing...
3 and 4 - both lifers and great finds for me today - Little Bittern, and Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus).
5. A flock of Red Bishops taking flight. Theres alot more males in this group than I would have expected.

Attachments

• DSC_3769.JPG
    DSC_3769.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_3780.JPG
    DSC_3780.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_3766.JPG
    DSC_3766.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_3810.JPG
    DSC_3810.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_3834.JPG
    DSC_3834.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 57
Probably just as well. I believe the airlines have increased their flight costs considerably over WC period,and the handling fees (paid by airlines to baggage handling company) have gone up by 130% . . . .

Yes I believe you are having some very - er - seasonal weather. I'm guessing that the birds rely on feeding stations quite a lot right now - good chance for some photography?

Yes flight costs are horrendous for the world cup, but the baggage costs aren't a problem - we are hand baggage only nowadays :t:

As for the seasonal weather - November and the start of Dec were very mild and very wet - we had 50 consecutive days when it rained, which is the most since records began. Now it has turned bitterly cold (-8C last night) and has snowed heavily. I was refilling the feeders about once a week before - now it is every day. We have constant streams of robins, tits, dunnocks, wrens, etc etc. We have also had a lot of house sparrows, which is good news after their recent population decline, and last week we had a flock of fieldfares - a garden first. As important as the feeders are, the other thing we are trying to provide is fresh water. The birds need it not only to drink but also to keep their feathers in good condition, which is so important for insulation at this time of year. It is almost impossible though, as the water freezes within a short time of putting it out. I'll try and get to our local garden centre (Kwekery) to see if there is a water heater that I can use.

Allan

I must admit that for reasons that I can't explain I have never really thought of photography at the feeders. I will see what I can do over the Christmas period.

Sal,

I also note the temps you are quoting and think of our overseas visitors that are now suffering freezing temps with Max of 2c coming to the heat and humidity of KNP of 43c!

Martin

Bring it on :t:

Took over na hour to drive 6 miles in a snowstorm today. I've had enough of the cold :C

Allan

Nice list Dave, our twins are not even a year old yet, so all i can do at the moment is read reports on KNP. Oh well, one day we will return again!

I have still not seen cut-throat finch despite much trying, do you remember where you saw it?

Andrew

Andrew,
just to rub it in we had Cut-throat Finch nesting in our thatch in Marloth Park. It was over our roof terrace, so we could sit on the terrace and have them fly just over our heads as they went to and from the nest, and hear the calls of the babies waiting to be fed. Unfortunately we were not there when the young fledged. I didn't get any photos as we moved as little as possible to avoid disturbing the adults, which were understandably a bit skittish.

We still see CT Finches regularly, so Marloth Park is the place to go.

Allan

Dave I saw Mocking Cliff-chats in Kruger in March 1997 and April 1998. I'm afraid I have put away the notebooks from that time so I can't tell you where I saw them, but they were both further south than yours. Satara or below.

We have regularly seen MC Chats in the Mlondozi picnic site in the south of the park.

Allan

I'm sure Marloth must have had rain Martin. There was quite a bit of rain in the south whilst I was there. My sister tells me it is still raining now - hailstorms, thunderstorms, the lot! Yes, the Crocodile was flowing well and had plenty of water.

Sal,
Thanks, that is good news.

Martin

Close by the main H9 we had a good sighting of a male Mocking Cliff-chat (d043). This took me a little by surprise, for I could not recall having recorded this bird in the Park before. The flat, and relatively featureless ground along the H9 does not seem to fit their usual, more rugged, habitat. Here again, any comments on sightings and locations of this bird in KNP would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Dave

Dave,
I have not recorded the Mocking Cliff-chat in Kruger, and as you point out, you saw it on relatively flat terrain and not the hilly and rocky usual habitat. Another interesting piece of information.
I will however now be looking for it next month.

Martin

1. Purple Heron
3 and 4 - both lifers and great finds for me today - Little Bittern, and Sedge Warbler (Acrocephalus schoenobaenus).
5. A flock of Red Bishops taking flight. Theres alot more males in this group than I would have expected.

Nick,
Great pictures on birds in flight from your two last postings.
I find it difficult photographing birds in flight. Do you have the focus on 'spot' or 'multiple point' focus?

Martin

1. Purple Heron

Hi Nick. Little Bittern huh? Haven't seen one of those since 1980s when I saw one at Hazelmere Dam. I love the pic of the Bishops in flight. Also like the one of the Yellow-mantled Widowbird.

Nick,
Great pictures on birds in flight from your two last postings.
I find it difficult photographing birds in flight. Do you have the focus on 'spot' or 'multiple point' focus?

Martin

Thanks Martin - I have the camera to focus using only the center spot for all my photography.. Having the side brackets on means that it often focuses on whats on the sides, instead of in the center where the bird is.

Sal, as I said the bittern was new for me. They are a big deal in Perth, although apparently quite easy to find in vleis here in the right season.

wow!

Sal great photo's- especially Brown Snake Eagle and that African Hawk Eagle is stunning!

I am going to post them on my blog over the holiday- with your permission of course - acknowledged - as I will be watching the 2nd Test in between the dinner parties and other stuff! I will be in SA in spirit - so no doubt will be birding in my brain!

Dave - great list and as for the Finch - brilliant name and one I certainly didn't see !

Its cold here - and snow hanging around a bit!
Most of the country is in deep snow so I am reasonably lucky!
Just hope its gone by Boxing Day as I am due to go into Kent - and I want to do a tetrad before Dinner! (for the BTO Atlas)

wow!

Dave - great list and as for the Finch - brilliant name and one I certainly didn't see !

Hi there,

That was the first Cut-throat Finch I had seen in the KNP, and took me by surprise. I had always associated them with more northerly and westerly (i.e. drier) parts of the country. But as you will have seen from the responses, the CTF does occur in the Lowveld. I guess we never stop learning.

Best wishes,
Dave

wow!

Sal great photo's- especially Brown Snake Eagle and that African Hawk Eagle is stunning!

I am going to post them on my blog over the holiday- with your permission of course - acknowledged - as I will be watching the 2nd Test in between the dinner parties and other stuff! I will be in SA in spirit - so no doubt will be birding in my brain!

Thanks Dryocopus. Sure you can post them on your blog. Have a good festive season in between the birding on the brain!

Thanks Martin - I have the camera to focus using only the center spot for all my photography.. Having the side brackets on means that it often focuses on whats on the sides, instead of in the center where the bird is.

Nick,
Thanks for the information.
I also only use spot focus for all the birding pics, but I was wondering as the birds are in flight with nothing around them for the camera to focus on except blue sky, that it may be easier for the camera to pick up focusing on the bird in flight if multi point focus was selected as there would be more chance of it focussing on something!

Sal,
You did the photographic course....any advice?

Martin

Nick,
Thanks for the information.
I also only use spot focus for all the birding pics, but I was wondering as the birds are in flight with nothing around them for the camera to focus on except blue sky, that it may be easier for the camera to pick up focusing on the bird in flight if multi point focus was selected as there would be more chance of it focussing on something!

Sal,
You did the photographic course....any advice?

Martin

No advice Martin, my course was not really about the basics of using the camera. I tend to use multifocus , which often means I have to focus more than once on something specific which means that I sometimes miss the perfect shot. With spot focus I often miss it unless it is standing still. I use manual focus when I can. Maybe Alan M would be able to give some advice here?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back