• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish warblers (1 Viewer)

goshawk227

Diehard Massachusetts Birder
I took these pictures yesterday, in Vejer de la Frontera in the province of Cadiz, and was hoping you could help me with the ID.
I am pretty sure of what they are, but so as not so suggest I wont post my thoughts here. Any input you could give would be greatly appreciated!
I have one Sylvia and a few Phylloscopus..

Attachments

• sylvia warbler #1.jpg
    sylvia warbler #1.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 300
  • sylvia warbler #2.jpg
    sylvia warbler #2.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Phyllo warbler #1.jpg
    Phyllo warbler #1.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Phyllo warbler #2.jpg
    Phyllo warbler #2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Phyllo warbler #3.jpg
    Phyllo warbler #3.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 251
The Sylvia looks like a Whitethroat and the Phylloscopus look like Chiffchaff sp. not very bright so probably Common.

Hi Photo's 1-2 Common Whitethroat Photo's 3-4-5 "Whiffwaff" Not sure which leg colour makes me think willow warbler but it looks brown enough for chiffchaff

While I agree with the Sylvia being a Common Whitethroat, surely the head pattern, relatively long primary projection etc make the Phylloscopus warblers Willow Warblers?

Agreed on the Common Whitethroat. Not sure about the Phylloscopus, but i guess Willow Warbler... any chance you heard it sing?

My thoughts were Whitethroat and Willow Warbler, doesnt the primary projection eliminate Chiffchaff?
Also, shouldnt the supercillium on a chiffy be more diffuse, not as long and broad as this?
Thanks very much for the input!
More might be on the way, I'm in the first week of a month-long trip..

Has anyone considered Spectaled Warbler for bird 1? Wing looks very plain and quite a distinct white eye ring.

I did consider Spectacled for the first, and indeed the tertials and greater coverts look very bright for a Whitethroat.

The Phyllosc is curious, because the overall colour tones, face pattern and leg colour are very suggestive of Chiffchaff. The primary projection does look too long, but the bird just doesn't look like a Willow warbler at all; it has no plumage features whatsoever indicative of that species.

Sean

The Phyllosc is curious, because the overall colour tones, face pattern and leg colour are very suggestive of Chiffchaff. The primary projection does look too long, but the bird just doesn't look like a Willow warbler at all; it has no plumage features whatsoever indicative of that species.

Sean

Perhaps an Iberian would reconcile some differences? (not sure phyllosc pics 1, 2 and 3 are all the same birds?)

My connection keeps breaking - just to add, pic 3 does appear to be a WW - pp too long for even Iberian

However, phyllosc 1 could be an Iberian Chiffchaff (still looking at pic 2)- we certainly have more than one bird here IMV

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that all the phyllo pics are of at least two birds, there were 6+ in a tree, and I shot most of them, these were the pics that turned out.
As for the Sylvia, I got good looks at a female Spectacled today, and I'm even more sure of the Whitethroat ID now, this bird was proportioned quite differently then the Spectacled today.
77 White-headed Ducks too.. :O

Leg colour of no 2 phyllosc suggest Willow, think the others are also dark flesh just hidden in shade.
Primary projection of no 2 phylosc suggest Willow and I think cautiously no3 shows pp ~ tertial length
Facial pattern suggest Willow, although in the field I don't find this feature reliable.
Plumage too variable IMO to be used as a feature.

1-2 is a Common Whitethroat. Bird is too bulky, strong legged, big billed (hard to see) to be an Spectacled.
3-4-5 all of them look Willows to me. #5 is a classic Willow. #3 is a duller individual (may be ssp.acredula, check pics below of a good spring one) but primary projection, nice pale legs/feet and quite fresh plumage say Willow too. #4 looks similar to #3 (may well be same bird). No Iberians I'm afraid.
Cheers,
Eduardo

Attachments

• spring acredula.jpg
    spring acredula.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Reajustado_Phy tro acredula 2.jpg
    Reajustado_Phy tro acredula 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 73
More pictures

I went out to the same tree today, its leaking sap everywhere, which is drawing bugs and birds like crazy, there were 7+ Phyllo's there today.
I got photos of at least two birds I believe, please let me know what you think. Just more Willows?

Attachments

• Another phyllo #1.jpg
    Another phyllo #1.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Another phyllo #2.jpg
    Another phyllo #2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Another phyllo #3.jpg
    Another phyllo #3.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Another phyllo #4.jpg
    Another phyllo #4.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 93
9 April 2008
I was also in that area last Friday - but on the coast before heading back home (Lake Vinuela) on Saturday via Ronda and Antequerra.
Suggest Subalpine for first two, followed by Chiffchaff, possible Bonelli's Warbler (note large eye and clean underside with prominent yellow on wing) and, if not same bird, a Willow Warbler to end.
If you live out here contact me on 669 649 529 or [email protected].

Good luck
Bob Wright

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back