• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish warblers (1 Viewer)

9 April 2008
I was also in that area last Friday - but on the coast before heading back home (Lake Vinuela) on Saturday via Ronda and Antequerra.
Suggest Subalpine for first two, followed by Chiffchaff, possible Bonelli's Warbler (note large eye and clean underside with prominent yellow on wing) and, if not same bird, a Willow Warbler to end.
If you live out here contact me on 669 649 529 or [email protected].

Good luck
Bob Wright

Hi Bob,
Sorry to so strongly disagree ;) but there're no Subalpines, Chiffchaffs or Bonelli's on those pics. Only Common Whitethroat and Willow Warblers. Too long to explain why...
Cheers
Eduardo

Suggest Subalpine for first two
The sylvia has a white orbital ring, a very white throat and very rusty terts/covs - are these features consistent with Subalpine?

edit: I see Eduardo has been rather more um ... how shall I say... 'straightforward' in his response;)

Last edited:
I have unfortunately been without internet for a few days, but I visited this tree again. I am no longer staying in Vejer, but two days ago I had 30+ Warblers in these two trees, including 1 Wood, 1 Garden, 1 Common Whitethroat, 3 Sardinian, and 25+ Phyllo sp.
I spent more time observing behavior then I had been, and was interested to notice the wing-flicking/tail pumping of the birds.
Most of them did those actions quite frequently, which would point towards Chiffchaff, correct?
Some other birds were much calmer and did not engage in these actions.
Any thoughts?
Thanks very much for all of the input!

I have unfortunately been without internet for a few days, but I visited this tree again. I am no longer staying in Vejer, but two days ago I had 30+ Warblers in these two trees, including 1 Wood, 1 Garden, 1 Common Whitethroat, 3 Sardinian, and 25+ Phyllo sp.
I spent more time observing behavior then I had been, and was interested to notice the wing-flicking/tail pumping of the birds.
Most of them did those actions quite frequently, which would point towards Chiffchaff, correct?
Some other birds were much calmer and did not engage in these actions.
Any thoughts?
Thanks very much for all of the input!

Willow warblers flick their tails, just not as often and mostly just when alighting a new branch.
The photos you have posted appear to be all Willows.

Hope you are are not one those American listers I have heard about who come over to Europe and purposely misid birds just to get them on their lists :-O

Certainly all Willows on the last set of pictures. It would seem also that this applies to the first ones too; I stand corrected. Agree also with Whitethroat.

Sean

Okay, thank you very much for your help.
I dont appreciate the listing comment very much though, most americans arent that way :p
I am very careful and cautious, I dont ID anything unless I'm sure.
These are all down as 'Phylloscopus warbler sp.'..
I did have Long-legged Buzzard yesterday..

Okay, thank you very much for your help.
I dont appreciate the listing comment very much though, most americans arent that way :p
I am very careful and cautious, I dont ID anything unless I'm sure.
These are all down as 'Phylloscopus warbler sp.'..
I did have Long-legged Buzzard yesterday..

Sorry I offended you and thanks for posting the photos. Happy birding

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back