• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow Noise in Garden -help please :) (1 Viewer)

Kolijn13

United Kingdom
Dear Bird Experts,

We have recently moved into a new flat with a living room facing onto a quiet street. We are fortunate enough to have a tree outside the window and over the last month there has been lots of vibrant bird song, pretty much all day long (I think it is sparrows cheeping away). I wanted to ask if anyone in a similar living situation could give me a rough idea of what to expect, bird noise-wise, over the coming year.

I am a musician, and I want to record the piano in the living room, but currently the bird song is too loud and frequent to record at all without the bird song being very audible! I'm wondering if it's likely to be like this for the rest of Spring, Summer, or all year round?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It could be that the sparrows are singing to attract mates, but they can sing all year round.

Maybe you could record at night?

Here's some information about house sparrows you may find helpful.

Hi Kits, thanks for the info! Oh dear...looks like it might be a regular thing, although hopefully in shorter bursts than they are going right now.

I feel bad because I love the birds being around it's just not ideal when trying to make a recording.

If anyone else has any thoughts or experiences with something like this I'd be interested to hear.

Thank you!

Are you sure it's House Sparrows? They have a chirpy type of song, not particularly loud, it always seems to me to be more noticeable on a warm summer evening when I have the windows open. I can't hear it through the double-glazing with the windows closed.

Mostly the songs you hear at this time of year are all regarding territory and attracting females. Once their territory is established and their lady is on a nest they become much quieter so as not to attract the attention of predators; though they may still sing at dusk and dawn for a while. When the eggs hatch they are far too busy feeding the hungry hordes to have time for much singing LOL.

May I wish you a warm welcome Kolijn, on behalf of all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here, please let us know how you get on... a picture of the birds would be helpful to try and establish the correct identity of these birds.

Thanks - that's really helpful and gives me hope they will be preoccupied soon!

I can't see the birds...I think they are on my roof or neighbouring roofs, but I took an audio recording just now so you can hear the sort of bird sound I'm talking about. I thought they were sparrows using a bird identification app but I really don't know tbh.

Attachments

• Bird Song North London.mp3
    357.1 KB
Thanks - that's really helpful and gives me hope they will be preoccupied soon!

I can't see the birds...I think they are on my roof or neighbouring roofs, but I took an audio recording just now so you can hear the sort of bird sound I'm talking about. I thought they were sparrows using a bird identification app but I really don't know tbh.
« I thought they were sparrows using a bird identification app »
Well, whatever next, I thought crows were supposed to be our most intelligent birds but hats off to your spuggies ;)

Yes, your recording confirms your suspicions, House Sparrow indeed. I think they’re noisiest at this time of year as they get very territorial, however at our last place they would often gather in a bush late afternoon and chirrup away till dusk especially in winter, you could end up doing your music recording when it’s dark in future!

Haha, thanks Richard. I'm so bird-illiterate I actually had to look up 'spuggies'.

Thanks for the confirmation and the info. I'll see how things change over the coming months (no noise after about 6pm so far but noise through most of the rest of the day...)

Think I might have to look into double glazing as a solution rather than recording at night, as the downstairs neighbours wouldn't love me for doing that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back