• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk?, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

ben_lewis

This very large hawk was displaying over Strumpshaw last week in the good weather, unfortunately I only saw it twice, once distant and once briefly.
I managed to fire off a couple of shots of it on a dull day, pics are poor I'm afraid.
I originally assumed the bird coming over my head was a Marsh Harrier, then realised it was a hawk. Size is always difficult to judge but this was a very large bop, it probably is a sparrowhawk but I am hoping that some of the silhouette shots, particularly those showing the neck will be of use. I hope I can get some closure on this bird as its beginning to do my head in.
There is no sense of scale in the pics but it really was large and that was not just an impression, you'll have to take my word for it.

Attachments

• sgh1.jpg
    sgh1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 126
  • sgh.jpg
    sgh.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 115
  • sgh2.jpg
    sgh2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 143
  • sgh3.jpg
    sgh3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 130
It "looks like" a Sparrowhawk, Ben; although that white strip on the side is a bit odd.

The females do look big in-flight, but they're only about the same size as a Pigeon (apart from longer wings and tail). The male is about the size of a Collared Dove. Oh, and they look bulkier when they've just eaten|=)|

Cheers Chris, the white on the tail is the vent, they expand this so it almost covers the rump. It is used for displaying, dont ask me how its done but it kind of looks pretty I suppose, I have seen both males and females of SH and GH doing this.
As has been said with this individual the shape is wrong for Gos, but its certainly eaten well/got some 'other' genes to get as big as it is and be a Sparrowhawk still.

Oh, I did think of the vent, Ben, but it didn't look right; makes sense now.

I only see Sparrowhawks hunting and feeding regularly in my garden; they go elsewhere to breed and display, so I only see that behaviour at the Reservoirs. And usually it's at quite a distance.

And there do seem to be some very large female Sparrowhawks. I've had low flyovers that looked much too big for a Sparrowhawk, but everything else was perfect for Sparrowhawk. I guess they really are quite variable.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back