• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange food question - cat food (1 Viewer)

Vilasy

Hi!
I have a very strange question indeed. I have a pair of gorgeous mocking cliff chats who have become very friendly, and are usually either on my porch, or, if a window is open, in the house. They don't seem bothered by it, and ive given up trying to get them out. They know where the window is, and leave when they've had enough. I've never seen them flapping at closed windows. They seem to have no fear of humans, and come quite close to me.

The problem is the cat food bowls. They eat insects, but have discovered that cat food is much tastier. I am worried for the bird's sake, for two reasons. One, it is probably not the ideal diet. Two, they sit at the cat bowl, calm as anything, while there is often a lurking cat.
It occured to me to make a feeder for him on the porch and try suet or something to distract him. Luckily, it is now winter here, and our windows mostly stay closed. they're starting to go for the dog food now, which is probably less ideal! That said, I have no idea about the suitability, I'm just guessing.

Does anyone know if cat or dog food will seriously hurt them? Do I need to take drastic measures? How would you handle this?

Thanks!

Before you ask, no, we don't have screens. They're not common here. I've actually tried for years to get them, then finally just accepted it. So, unless we want an oven, the window stays open.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back