• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk Birding (4 Viewers)

Thank you so much Phil for your help. We do not receive the RBA alerts. I have made contact with Justin and the person that he has passed the scope on to too. Best wishes, Carol

Purple Heron - Kingsfleet

Anyone know the directions (Where to park and walk) to for this bird - I can't find anything specific enough online?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Anyone know the directions (Where to park and walk) to for this bird - I can't find anything specific enough online?

Thanks in advance. ;)

I haven't been but with it being at Kingsfleet and seeing the photos I reckon it's around the main dyke at Kingsfleet Marshes. Go to Old Felixstowe, parking at TM328376. There is a nearby footpath from the road that goes along the river wall. It's over a kilometre walk to the dyke at TM319384. It's been seen on the deck and in flight. Some details on this site - Felixstowe Birding.

Cheers,
Gi

I haven't been but with it being at Kingsfleet and seeing the photos I reckon it's around the main dyke at Kingsfleet Marshes. Go to Old Felixstowe, parking at TM328376. There is a nearby footpath from the road that goes along the river wall. It's over a kilometre walk to the dyke at TM319384. It's been seen on the deck and in flight. Some details on this site - Felixstowe Birding.

Cheers,
Gi

Thanks, Gi.

I didn't see the Purple Heron in the end, despite a couple of hours on site, but saw a Bittern flying over the adjacent corn field and dropping into the nearby reeds which was something.

Afterwards, a trip to Minsmere got me Little Stint, Little Gull and Spotted Redshank amongst plenty of other good waders.

Then, at dusk, a trip to Westleton Heath added me 3 churring Nightjars, and I could also hear the Stone Curlews calling from their fields.

So, all in all; not bad! :t:

Thanks, Gi.

I didn't see the Purple Heron in the end, despite a couple of hours on site, but saw a Bittern flying over the adjacent corn field and dropping into the nearby reeds which was something.

Afterwards, a trip to Minsmere got me Little Stint, Little Gull and Spotted Redshank amongst plenty of other good waders.

Then, at dusk, a trip to Westleton Heath added me 3 churring Nightjars, and I could also hear the Stone Curlews calling from their fields.

So, all in all; not bad! :t:

The full, and slightly more comprehensive, write-up of my break is on my new blog as below. Loads of sightings and a couple of rubbish pictures...! ;) :t:

www.averagebirding.blogspot.com

There was loads of Terns at north Lowestoft yesterday evening. I counted over 100 on three groynes near the Links Hill car park, mostly Common with a few Sandwich amongst them. I didn't have my scope with me to pick out anything different.

Ron

Non-birder & possible cirl bunting, Carlton Colville

A non-birder friend saw what she identified as a male Cirl Bunting near Carlton Colville on 1 Aug. She gave me a intriguingly good description: stripy green & yellow head, chestnut-brown back, long tail, undulating flight, perched on hedge. Location was along the permissive footpath running SW from Carlton Manor Hotel. I don't know the area and am not local so can't check myself, but have tipped off one local birder. I leave it with you...

James

Felixstowe Area 8th August

Hi fellow Suffolk birders,

I trust everyone is tingling with excitement at the onset of autumn? I certainly am.

Excellent day in the field on the Felixstowe peninsula yesterday. The attached Purple Heron was a pretty awe inspiring start!

Thereafter Landguard was teeming with finches, largely Linnet and Greenfinch and two Whimbrel south were of note.

The Levington to Trimley Marshes SWT walk never ceases to deliver and yesterday was no exception; Red-eared Terrapin, Turtle Dove, Wood Sandpiper, Med Gull, several Greenshank and Marsh Harrier.

Good birding :t:

Attachments

• Purple Heron Kings Fleet August 8th rfs.jpg
    Purple Heron Kings Fleet August 8th rfs.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 102
Hi fellow Suffolk birders,

I trust everyone is tingling with excitement at the onset of autumn? I certainly am.

Excellent day in the field on the Felixstowe peninsula yesterday. The attached Purple Heron was a pretty awe inspiring start!

Thereafter Landguard was teeming with finches, largely Linnet and Greenfinch and two Whimbrel south were of note.

The Levington to Trimley Marshes SWT walk never ceases to deliver and yesterday was no exception; Red-eared Terrapin, Turtle Dove, Wood Sandpiper, Med Gull, several Greenshank and Marsh Harrier.

Good birding :t:

Sounds a good day,terrapin sounds a bit worrying!!!

Hope that Heron sticks til Bank Holiday would be a lifer for me and can't get up til then!!

cheers

A non-birder friend saw what she identified as a male Cirl Bunting near Carlton Colville on 1 Aug. She gave me a intriguingly good description: stripy green & yellow head, chestnut-brown back, long tail, undulating flight, perched on hedge. Location was along the permissive footpath running SW from Carlton Manor Hotel. I don't know the area and am not local so can't check myself, but have tipped off one local birder. I leave it with you...

James

Yellowhammer?

Small arrival into Lowestoft this afternoon with 10 plus Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers, 40+ Wheatears, Wryneck, Firecrest, Fieldfare, 2 Tree Pipits, Whinchats, Spotted Flys etc. Things look promising for at least 2 more days.

Corton old railway track bed

Hi. Went and had a look a long here today. We did not have a lot of time to explore to far but it does look a good spot. It was odd to look over the bridge and find there was no drop down to the track bed. Went so far along but can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk as far as Corton station or is the track bed private there. Will pay another visit soon. Cheers Chris

There is no Corton station. The track becomes inaccessible and private both north and south (when it hits the houses) It becomes accessible again to the north opposite Radar lodge at " Hopton railtrack". To the south it becomes accessible again at "Gunton railtrack" south of pleasurewood hills. If you visit again check out the circular walk through Corton new sewage works which is accessed at the south end of Corton railtrack and also vist the church area and old sewage works at the coast. Daily Yellow-browed Warblers and Firecrests in this area at the moment.

Thanks Cortonbirds. I was thinking you would know. Are you saying The old Corton station building and platforms have gone now? shame if so. The only Station left on the Norfolk & Suffolk Joint Some years ago when I was last in the area someone was living there

There hasnt been a station building and platforms since i moved in in 1998, maybe they built housing over it. There was talk of opening up the whole disused railtrack with a new path from Lowestoft to Gorleston which would have been nice but no developments i have heard of recently.

O it was very run down I don't think they had the money to keep it as it should. Shame as I said. You still have the station masters house and a couple of station staff houses. Thanks my friend

I don't know if Cortonbirds or anybody else can help me. I see there have been reports of good numbers of various thrushes at Hopton disused railtrack in the past few days. Are these seen from the road or is it possible to walk along the railtrack? If so, how does one gain access to it? I haven't noticed any public footpath signs from Longfulans Lane and I would be a bit worried about walking along at the edge of the field unless it is general practice. Does anybody know?

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back